Anybody w/ amazon antihop shocks?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I was wondering the same thing a while ago and I emphasis the word "alone." I had bad wheel hop but those shocks were too expensive for me. I fixed the problem with polyurethane bushings on the differential "alone" for $40. I understand that if you can stop the differential deflection first, then shocks are not as important to absorb the energy that causes hop.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I've got the shocks installed and the bushings are still sitting on my bench in a box! I can tell you the shocks plus the addition of the Nitto 315's have cured my wheel hop on the street. I've not been to the track since making these mods though. I can't say whether it helps with the cold weather hopping either. It's been above 50 since installing the new setup.

U.M.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have not tried new shocks yet, but here's what I have tried on my hop-happy vert:
MM IRS bushings
Steeda differential bushings
Coupe springs

I have not eliminated hop. It has been reduced and isn't nearly as violent however.

The 99-01 guys are still looking for a cure too. I seriously doubt there is anything that will cure it completely for everyone. :(

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by hwystr
KWladyka - Where did you get the differential bushings for $40? Did they eliminate the hop?

I used the Steeda Bushings which were $39.95 when I purchased them but are now listed at $44.95. The part number is 324-IRS-100. However, there are a few things to note about these bushings. The stock bushings have a taper because there is a small lip on the edges of the differential. The taper allows the bushing to fit inside of the lip. The Steeda bushings had no taper so I had to file a small slit in the side of the bushings to get them to fit flat over the holes. The sleeve part of the bushing that fits over the steel plugs was too big to fit in the differential holes. I had to put the sleeve and bushing in a drill and sand it down a bit until I could tap the bushing and sleeve into the hole with a hammer. They fit very tight which is good since you don't want any movement in that area.

On my car the hop was so bad I could not do any burn-out whatsoever without it sounding like the entire rear-end was going to rip apart from the car. When I took the old bushings out they were mangled. Not broken, but the rubber was deformed and the bushings had tiny stress lines all over them. It was obvious that they took a beating and just could not do the job they were meant to do.

The polyurethane bushings completely solved the problem for me. Yes, completely eliminated any hop and allowed me to take the car into the 11's in the 1/4 mile. I highly recommend them, and for less than $50 you can’t go wrong.

I also agree that tires can help. Even with my old bushings, BFG drag radials were better but the car still had hop - just not as bad. I have since moved to MT E/T streets which I have found work much better than the BFG's.

Bottom line, I see the replacement of the stock differential bushings as the most important upgrade to my vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread