Anybody use the Hellion single kits these days?

hatchke

Established Member
They're been around forever, but I don't really see a lot about them these days. Seems like most people rolling into turbo setups go CG Fab (which are all gorgeous pieces). I quite enjoy my current 2.9 setup, and probably will even more when I pulley down some more, but I just can't shake the idea of a turbo setup.

I don't have absolutely wild power goals, and it sees like the Hellion single kits kind of hit the "easy button" when it comes to turbo setups. I need bigger injectors anyway, and the rest of the n/a cobra stuff isn't hard to find. I figure in the 800-850whp range should be somewhat feasible with the stock motor?

I don't love the pipe routing, or the lengths pre-turbo, but I get it. Not the most efficient system from what I can tell, but doesn't seem too bad.

Am I missing something or is there some other reason they don't seem to be used often? I'm pretty handy but I worry that I don't have the fab skills to finish out a CG Fab setup - like the intercooler to t/b pipe, finishing out the downpipe, etc. Or are these things not a huge deal?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When I researched going turbo it seemed everyone that bought a kit ended up making enough changes that they should have just gone custom. I installed a Hellion kit on a buddy's GT and before it left the garage, we had made a couple changes. I think he made a couple more before it hit the dyno.

If you have a fab shop nearby you can always lay out the pipes and mark them for the shop to weld them together.

Turbos don't need as much fuel system as blowers. So you're current system would take you further with a turbo.

hatchke

Established Member
When I researched going turbo it seemed everyone that bought a kit ended up making enough changes that they should have just gone custom. I installed a Hellion kit on a buddy's GT and before it left the garage, we had made a couple changes. I think he made a couple more before it hit the dyno.

If you have a fab shop nearby you can always lay out the pipes and mark them for the shop to weld them together.

Turbos don't need as much fuel system as blowers. So you're current system would take you further with a turbo.

That's a good point, I didn't realize most were still needing to modify things. Going with CG Fab would also allow for things to be pieced together more slowly over time which is a little appealing.

I think I could probably manage marking up some aluminum pipe for someone else to weld. It's a fairly straight shot from the fender (where I guess the CG Fab intercooler piping terminates) to a 99-01 Cobra intake.

You think the 80lbs injectors would be enough? I was thinking i'd at least need to jump up to 1050x or 1300x to keep up with E85. I was close to full duty on my 80lbs at 50psi base pressure on my current tune.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The turbo is kind of like free power. I'm sure there's some restriction with the turbo, but it's not as bad as how much it takes to turn the blower. So 800 with the 80's will probably be possible. Not that going to slightly bigger injectors is ever a bad idea.

Personally I'd go Sullivan. But I just think it's a sexy set up. I wanted to run one in my 01 so bad.

hatchke

Established Member
The turbo is kind of like free power. I'm sure there's some restriction with the turbo, but it's not as bad as how much it takes to turn the blower. So 800 with the 80's will probably be possible. Not that going to slightly bigger injectors is ever a bad idea.

Personally I'd go Sullivan. But I just think it's a sexy set up. I wanted to run one in my 01 so bad.

Ahh, yeah I totally discounted what it takes to run some of these bigger blowers. The 2.9 can't be the easiest thing to keep churning around. I may still get bigger injectors so I can pulley down to a 3" on the 2.9 in the meantime.

Thread is a little preemptive, but I figure maybe in the next year i'll start piecing some stuff together for a turbo setup. I know the costs will creep up worse than my napkin math, but I'll have plenty of stuff to sell off from the supercharger setup.

D-MANN

Established Member
Ive had a Hellion single turbo kit with a pte gen2 7675. The kit itself is great and works. Hellion customer service is awesome as well. Only changes i made was from draw thru to blow thru and v band the downpipe to double barrel exhaust. The CG Fab is less piping and you will lose your oil cooler and sway bar. With a Hellion kit you lose none of that. With that said i would do a CG Fab kit and piece what you need together from what I’ve learned. I ran a stock cobra intake but if i was to do it again i would get a HPP intake.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

robvas

Established Member
What stuff did you change and do you remember what it ended up making?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What stuff did you change and do you remember what it ended up making?
I remember grinding a notch into one of the transmission ribs to clear the crossover pipe. But to be fair he had a T-56. If he had the T-45 it might have cleared. I also remember the charge pipe that went between the turbo and intercooler was short. He ended up running a longer coupler to make up for it. Oh, and we ended up cutting out all the A/C lines because something with the turbo placement made them interfere with getting it to sit correctly. He didn't care about A/C at that point. One thing he ended up doing before hitting the dyno was switching to blow through MAF. But that was after it was out of my garage.

I think it made mid 500's before it lifted a head. But that's another story that makes me not recommend a certain tuner. That car ended up parted out and he now has a Whippled Cobra.

I'm learning more about turbos since I've started working with my son on the dark side, but I wouldn't give up my blower at this point.

hatchke

Established Member
Ive had a Hellion single turbo kit with a pte gen2 7675. The kit itself is great and works. Hellion customer service is awesome as well. Only changes i made was from draw thru to blow thru and v band the downpipe to double barrel exhaust. The CG Fab is less piping and you will lose your oil cooler and sway bar. With a Hellion kit you lose none of that. With that said i would do a CG Fab kit and piece what you need together from what I’ve learned. I ran a stock cobra intake but if i was to do it again i would get a HPP intake.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thank you - that's all really good to know. Yeah I did think the out of the box setup from Hellion was interesting with the draw thru setup on that little intake.

At this point i'm still really enjoying my current 2.9 but love planning ahead for next steps and what I *think* I might enjoy more later. There's something cool about the concept of a nicely set up single turbo 'vert rolling around.

Users who are viewing this thread