Anybody upgrade the Speakers in their shaker 1000?

03Bite

Established Member
Hey was just wondering what people are doing to up grade the shaker 1000 with the exception of replacing the whole system. I was only looking to upgrade the speakers or for that matter which speakers to upgrade. Thanks for any help. Also what brand and Model speakers are you using?

smrtasp

Established Member
I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer Nav unit AVIC Z110BT and the sound is 1000% better with the stock speakers. Plus it supports HD radio, backup camera (which I dropped in the trunk lock hole) and supports steering wheel mounted audio controls. I’ve also got a 2010 steering wheel and the wiring harness sitting in my garage ready to wire up.

Eventually I think I will go with the Shelby kicker replacements but not until the complete kit goes on sale for under 1K.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer Nav unit AVIC Z110BT and the sound is 1000% better with the stock speakers. Plus it supports HD radio, backup camera (which I dropped in the trunk lock hole) and supports steering wheel mounted audio controls. I’ve also got a 2010 steering wheel and the wiring harness sitting in my garage ready to wire up.

Eventually I think I will go with the Shelby kicker replacements but not until the complete kit goes on sale for under 1K.

Do you have a picture of this deck installed?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I went with JL audio from onlinecarstereo.com The shelby store stuff is...not something I'd suggest. I went with a 6.5" in the rear deck using these adapters, which were a perfect fit, http://myworld.ebay.com/mjmautoinnovations&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID and 5x7 in the front doors. I'll swap 6.5's in the front doors as well when I go with some new amps (round speakers reproduce sound better than oval....). For a rear sub, while expensive, you can't beat the JL audio fitted sub for the trunk. You can find that on sale at Crutchfield from time to time. Just search under Mustang, don't fill out the rest, and it will come up.

You can get excellent, top brand speakers that are inexpensive from onlinecarstero and be much happier that what comes from the factory. While they are new and factory sealed, they are warrantied by the onlinecarstero vs the manufacturer which is fine - it is highly unlikely anything will fail but if they do, simply return them and they are replaced. Heck, for the money you save you could just buy a new set :) I've used them for years.

You would also be well served to put some sound damping material in at least the trunk followed with a top layer dense foam to reduce overall noise...most just do the first part and forget/ignore the second type of layer (or even third type of layer if they are really into sound killing). You can get dynamat brand on the cheap from onlinecarstereo or go to secondskinaudio for the really good stuff (or just read their guides...very informative site....and buy dynamat). You can then install carpet on the exposed metal portions of the trunk that you covered with damping and are not covered by the factory trunk carpet, including the bracing on the sides and under the speakers. That exposed metal just bugged the crap out of me... Get it from here http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=261-750 or http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-764 (buy a yard or two of each and see which you like better...it's cheap) and use this to install it http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=340-278

You'd likely be happy though just buying a set of quality 5x7s from onlinecarstereo and replacing the factory units. Don't forget the Ford speaker adapter dongles - you'll need to get them online or from Best Buy (or some place similar) for about $5 (you will need two packs, one for each speaker set of 5x7s).

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

Any pics of the camera?

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I went with a complete new system. I didn't install any rear deck speakers. Because i found if you don't have vent holes for your subs. It will vibrate everything in the back. I have 6 1/2's front and rear. New 8 inch subs in front doors. Two 8 inch subs in trunk. Sounds awesome.

RKT SHP

Established Member
2010 Steering wheel

I know this is completely off topic but can you tell me more about the 2010 Steering wheel

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I started with a Pioneer F90BT deck, which alone increased the sound quality.

I have the Kicker upgrade now, so far I have done only the 4 speakers and door subs. Night and day over the stock paper cones. Looking forward to finishing it with the new amp and trunk sub.

smrtasp

Established Member
I'll work on getting a picture of the deck installed, aside from the Pioneer logo on top of the unit, it looks and fits stock.

The backup camera it came with was a Boyo brand license plate mount. I used it for a bit but it’s a little to blingy for my taste plus it was covering my Shelby frame. I ended up going with another Boyo brand for the keyhole mount here - Boyo VTK350 Hi-Res Keyhole Style Universal Rearview Back-Up Camera with Night Vision VTK350 689076046510. Any universal key mount type should work though. I originally found this idea posted on another site so I will try to find that post. It had step by step instructions for the installation.

For the steering wheel I ordered one from Tousley Ford. It was 220 plus I went to a local dealer to get some help with the harness. The 2010 wheel requires a new bolt (recommended more than required) and the airbag has to be moved so there is some dealer cost involved. The 07-09 mustangs do not have the wiring built in so a ford harness was needed. Second to that there is an add on harness that will work with the Pioneer unit designed to plug into the factory wiring for the audio controls. I’m a few weeks away from starting on this as I need to get it in for the steering wheel install first.

smrtasp

Established Member
Pictures of the Pioneer deck installed are here-

IMG_0433-1.gif

and

IMG_0434-1.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread