Anybody that travels or lives in/around NYC and/or Jersey...

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I'm headed to NY/NJ for a wedding next month and I'm trying to determine the best airport to fly into and out of. The wedding and reception are up near Suffern, NY. I think the best airport to fly into is Newark (EWR). But I'll be going into NYC for a day or two after the wedding and so I'm debating whether it'll be easier to then just fly out of JFK, LaGuardia, or back out of Newark.

Will it be a pain in the ass to drive back to Newark from NYC? Returning the rental car where I picked it up (Newark) might be easier and cheaper but if it's going to be a 2-3 hr drive sitting in traffic to get there it won't be worth it. Obviously I am completely unfamiliar with the area so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Or if you have a better suggestion for an airport to fly into I'm all ears for that as well. I see quite a few smaller ones around but most still seem to be 30+ min from the wedding/reception and of course there are not nearly as many options to fly into/out of the smaller airports on commercial flights.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ryan

wht93gted

Established Member
They all suck pretty bad, but I'd say Newark is the lesser of all evils.

Even though LGA is the closest to NYC, don't be fooled, it's the worst airport anywhere. You'll have to take a cab and tolls driving are silly.
If it were me, I'd fly into Newark, and the drive up to Suffern is just up the parkway, so it's pretty easy (maybe 45 minutes).

The rest really depends on your itinerary. Driving from NYC to Newark is a PITA, but are you leaving the day you're in NYC?
There're a few Hertz outlets in the city, so if you could rent from Hertz at the airport & return it somewhere close to Penn Station NY, you could take the train from Penn Station NYC to Newark Airport directly, and it's pretty easy.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for the info wht93gted. I'll be coming into Newark on a Friday, staying around Suffern that night, and then going into the city Sat. morning/afternoon. Staying Sat. night in the city and then flying out late afternoon on Sunday. I was thinking about dropping the car back at Newark on Sat. and then taking a cab or train into the city. But the hotel I'm staying at has parking for $30/day so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just keep the car b/c I might spend twice that getting back to an airport. I suppose part of that depends on how much the rental costs me a day. It's a bitch trying to set up travel in an area like NYC where I have no idea what's what or how to get around, lol.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Hertz, Avis and other major car rental companies have locations in Manhattan. When you get to the city on Saturday...ditch the car at one of those locations and walk/cab the rest of the weekend. The car is of no use to you in The City. Taxi to EWR on Sunday will be a breeze.

wht93gted

Established Member
Thanks for the info wht93gted. I'll be coming into Newark on a Friday, staying around Suffern that night, and then going into the city Sat. morning/afternoon. Staying Sat. night in the city and then flying out late afternoon on Sunday. I was thinking about dropping the car back at Newark on Sat. and then taking a cab or train into the city. But the hotel I'm staying at has parking for $30/day so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just keep the car b/c I might spend twice that getting back to an airport. I suppose part of that depends on how much the rental costs me a day. It's a bitch trying to set up travel in an area like NYC where I have no idea what's what or how to get around, lol.

In that case, when you get to the city, I'd return the car right away. You won't need it, you can use cabs\subway\or walk. The car will just be a hassle.

IF you drop the car back at Newark Saturday morning, you can take NJ Transit (train) into NY Penn Station, and do the reverse on Sunday when you want to leave. Check out the "AirTrain"; basically a mono rail that runs between terminals at the airport, and the station where NJ Transit stops.

I'd probably do that, shoot back down the parkway\turnpike Saturday morning and drop the car off at the airport Hertz, hop on the AirTrain in the airport which would take you to the NJ Transit Newark Airport terminal, then you'd transfer to NJ Transit into NY Penn station. Sounds like a lot, but it's pretty simple. Then you'll be in the heart of Manhattan, ready to go.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Easy to get from NYC to Newark. You can take buses, shuttles services, or the Path trains/tram service to and from the airport. Don't bother with a car in NYC unless you really have it, parking and tolls are insane. There is also a NJ transit train that runs through Suffern so you could potentially get away without a car at all.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html

oldgixxer

Established Member
If you haven't already bought your ticket,look into Stewart International Airport in Newburgh NY
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/stewart.html

Never any traffic,its about the same distance to Suffern as it would be from Newark and its super easy to get in&out of. Much less stressful than the other NY/NJ airports.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will look into all of the above. But it seems the consensus is definitely to ditch the car Sat. either at the airport or in the city at one of the rental car facilities. Sounds good to me.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
White Plains(HPN) is probably the easiest airport around the area. About 40 minutes from Suffern according to Google.

Users who are viewing this thread