Anybody live in/near or been multiple times to Austin, TX?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
My wife and I are thinking about taking a vacation down to Austin and I was just curious where those who might be familiar with the area would recommend staying? Either a general area or specific streets/blocks. I have a fair amount of Hilton points so we'd likely be staying in one of their hotels.

We'd be looking to be in an area where we might be able to walk to a lot of things but we'd also have a rental car and could drive. But some parks or places to bike or do something active nearby would be good. We'd be interested in an area where there were plenty of restaurant choices as well. And maybe a decent night life scene too. Not that we're crazy party'ers but we like options, good drink choices and music.

And then if you just have recommendations of things to see/do (or maybe not see/do) while we're down there I'd be happy to hear about those as well.

Thanks in advance.

sniper85

Established Member
I live in San Macos. I would pefer San Antonio and the River walk. For some reason I'm just not a big fan of Austin. But they do have 6th Street. Full of bars and clubs. Also, 3forks.com steak house is in Austin. Little pricey but very good and my and I have always been pleased with it. Many of top end bars some with dress codes but you'll have to search for them.

If you're into movies you have to check out "The Palladium" in San Antonio.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
THIS! except I would def. hit up Austin for a couple of days. The good thing about Austin is that it is only 90 miles from San Antonio. so you can base yourself in either place and see the other. I love Austin .. but touristy type stuff is way more in San Antonio

I live in San Macos. I would pefer San Antonio and the River walk. For some reason I'm just not a big fan of Austin. But they do have 6th Street. Full of bars and clubs. Also, 3forks.com steak house is in Austin. Little pricey but very good and my and I have always been pleased with it. Many of top end bars some with dress codes but you'll have to search for them.

If you're into movies you have to check out "The Palladium" in San Antonio.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Just stay between 4th and 6th street and you will be fine. Walk to congress Ave in the day for lunch, and dinner on 5th or 6th street. Enjoy.

TaraFirma

Established Member
Live in NW Austin (Leander)
I would stay away from the downtown Hilton! Not impressed at all.
It's close to the downtown scene, but that's all it has going for it.
Whatever you do, make your way out to The Salt Lick BBQ in either Round Rock, or the original out in Driftwood TX..It's BYOB so keep that in mind if you go out to the Driftwood location.

If you're trip will be during the 2nd Sunday of the month there is a Cars & Coffee meet at the Oasis on the second Sunday. The Oasis is a place you should check out anyway. It's a really nice TexMex type of restaurant overlooking Lake Travis. Make sure you're trip out there is during sunset. Trust me on this. Take your camera.

Austin is the live music capitol of the world so you should have no problem finding a live band playing whatever music you want to hear.

South Congress street on the weekends is pretty alive and full of people and things to see also. Boutique type shops and a whole bunch of places to eat. Fun fact: The Amy's Ice Cream on S. Congress is in the Original Schlotzky's location.

Also, see who's performing at the Paramount theater on Congress while you're here. You may be surprised who you can see. My wife surprised me with Ron White tickets a few years ago. She's awesome..

ssssnake

Established Member
Every time I go to Austin, it's for music. The best place I've stayed at was the Hyatt Regency on Barton Springs Road. I did notice there's a Hilton across the bridge. It was right across the street from Threadgill's, beautiful view of the Colorado River. If you walk across the bridge, Austin City Limits is close by along with plenty of restaurants. 6th street is close and if you're tired of walking, there are rickshaws you can snag for a ride.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've lived here almost 10 years now. Traffic sucks! That's why I leave for work at 5 am. Hill country out west is pretty. (Dripping Springs/Driftwood/Lakeway areas). Lots of wineries and breweries out west here.

I would recommend visiting Deep Eddy Vodka, Twisted X Brewing and Hamilton Pool.

Last edited:

bullitt2735

Established Member
Been here for almost two years, love this city. And coming from the east coast the traffic isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. If you want good food recommendations late know. Also has a TON of awesome local breweries. If your gonna be here on the weekend I suggest you go to JesterKing on a sunday afternoon, beautiful area, picnic tables good beer and food.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I second San Antonio. You got numerous things to do, such as the Riverwalk, Alamo, Sea World, Six Flags, etc. I lived at Fort Hood, which was less than an hour away....there's plenty of partying to be done there, but I think San Antonio is much nicer and has much more to do...just my opinion, hope that helps.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
6th street is good if you are high school / college age. if you are an adult it is better with friends of a similar age. yes it is called the music capital of the world as there is literally a few bars on every block on both sides of the road. and yes you can find any type of music you want to listen to. what is NOT said is that those bars with live music have maybe 6 people in them at any given time on a good night. you need to go once to say you have been to 6th street but don't plan on spending any more than a few hours there. exceptions are made for halloween, mardi gras, and SXSW.

Rct851

Established Member
in Austin now for ACL. It is a great city for a few days of food and events. You don't need a vehicle, pretty much the opposite of Houston.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. We may just split our time between Austin and San Antonio. We're also now considering Nashville as an option too. TBD.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
few of us here in SA, let us know when you drop by. i have met up with a few on here in person.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Austin has better restaurants and night-life. Lake Travis is phenomenally beautiful. The river walk in San Antonio is cool but gets old after a day. Six Flags is lame and Sea World will be full of annoying kids. I wouldn't spend more than a day or so in San Antonio. Austin has a ton of cool stuff to do for a couple looking for a more lively time.

starnsey

Established Member
Austin will be better for being able to walk/bike anywhere. San Antonio is mega spread out. Way more stuff to do in Austin with less traveling than San Antonio.

I personally hate 6th Street. Definitely fun when you're nearing black-out drunk as a college kid and you've got some pre-partying in, but now: too much of a "club scene" and you won't even be able to hear yourself think.

I'd suggest going to Rainey Street. It's a street with a bunch of houses that have been converted into bars. Obviously, still a ton of college kids but the bars are much more chill and relaxed and you can literally start at one end of the road at the beginning of the night and not make it to the end of the road by the end of the night and you won't leave with your ears ringing.

Source: born and raised Austinite (will move back some day) and have also lived in SA.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
if you decide to go to austin, look into the driskill hotel on 6th and brazos. It is very nice and close to everything. Pretty good restaurants and plenty of clubs/bars to check out within walking distance. San Antonio is also a good choice, I have stayed in several hotels on the riverwalk and had a good experience every time. also agree with going to the Oasis for a Cars & Coffee or at least dinner with the Misses.

...waiting for OP to post he is moving to Texas after he eats BBQ and Tex-Mex food.

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Billy's on Burnet - Awesome hamburgers, Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest beer, and it's a Packer Bar too! :beer:

MFE

Established Member
+1 on the Driskill and everything around it. I don't know why you all keep bringing San Antonio into it, he said he's going to Austin, and they're not even comparable places, so why confuse the issue?

As for places to go and things to see, what's your scene? Funky/gritty or classy/upscale? Do you dig BBQ? Mexican food? Live music? Outdoors/lakes/nature? History? Your preferences will guide where and what to do in Austin, but me personally, I'd stay down near the Driskill, definitely have some drinks and music at Friends Bar on 6th street, and have a rental car ready to head out to Lake Travis.

Users who are viewing this thread