Anybody? Innovators West 10-15% Overdrive Pulley? Boost Question?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
SVTP,
Instead of ripping my Vortech V1 S-Trim off my car to change supercharger pulleys, I think I want to replace my ugly OEM Crank Pulley with a Innovators West piece! I have a stock bottom end with only 40K original miles.

Innovators West - Mod Motor Ford - 8-Rib Drive - 15% Overdrive (Powered by CubeCart)

Does anyone own one of these? And is it a quality part? How much more boost will I see? Will I overspin any of my other accessories (alternator, water pump etc etc)
I currently am seeing 9psi at 6800rpm with a 3.25" pulley
I want to get my power curve much higher down low. It seems i have to rape my engine to get the power i want. My huge 4 core intercooler seems to have sucked up all my boost.
Going off my dyno chart which IW Overdrive pulley do you reccomend? 10-15%?
Here is my recent dyno graph and impeller speed chart.

4fb94c71.jpg

Supercharger Pulley Size/Crank Size/RPM= Impeller Speed
48941= 9Psi @6800RPM with my current S-Trim Setup
Innovators West 10% Overdrive Pulley= 7.25"
Innovators West 15% Overdrive Pulley= 7.5"

bf5ef118.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
it was on the car when i purchased it so i couldnt tell you which on it is and its twin turbo so no boost change sorry

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
From everything thing that I've read and have been told 15% is 6psi increase and 10% is 4psi increase. I went with a 15% O/D crank..

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I just the bought the 10% off another board member. It seems like a really nice piece but I haven't used it yet as I'm waiting for my short block which is on order. Not sure what gains you'll see but from others with the 10% I've read usually about 2 pounds but maybe as much as 4.

Again no personal experience yet but I've heard that with the 10% you don't have to worry about over driving the other accessories.

Anyways I'm subscribing because of interest in these things as well. Good luck!

Last edited:

96vertsnake

Established Member
I have the 18% overdrive. Really good quality. I just put it back on my car and picked up approximately 7-8psi. I havent seen the exact increase in boost because i only hit it hard one time (approx20-21lbs) The car is not tuned for the extra boost and i was already running out of fuel with my 60lbs injectors with factory balancer. I'm running a 2.70 pulley and I'm over the limit by about 5000 rpm for the YSI, however, I'm not usually revving to 7500 rpm on the motor so I feel it can handle the extra rpms the times I push it to the limit.

Go to vortech's site. They have an impeller speed calculator. Factory balancer is 6.5 inches on my 96. 15% is 7.5 inches and the 18% is 7.75 inches. Use the V2 calculator and put in your pulley diameters and it will give you the speed at a given rpm.

My only warning is belt slippage. Make sure you get the belt TIGHT.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Thanks for the info ;)
I think I might just save my $$ and do a 3.0" pulley instead
A 3.0" will put my impeller speed a tad higher than a 10% overdrive pulley at the same RpM range.
The stock crank pulley on 96-98 Cobras is 6.78"
I thought it was 6.5" also but it's not
bd1a8648.jpg

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
You cant measure the pulley like that. You have to measure the grooves not the outside edge. You'll need a caliper gauge to do it accurately.

The 96 Cobra pulley is 6.5 inches. If you measured your Vortech pulley the same way you show in the picture attached you need to remeasure it.

The stock crank pulley on 96-98 Cobras is 6.78"
I thought it was 6.5" also but it's not
bd1a8648.jpg

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I'm only running 15-16lbs of boost with a 2.70 pulley and stock crank with a YSI. Adding the 18% will put me somewhere around 19-21 PSI. Like others said above; its a function of compression ratio(mines 8.8-1), cams(stage 3 Comp cams) and heads(Livernois stage 3 w oversized valves). I scratched my head for a long time trying to figure out why I wasn't able to make good power on my motor running an SQ and 2.70 pulley. Spinning it to the max I could only see 14lbs of boost so I switched to the ysi. I'm making good power now and with the 18% crank I should see another 40-60hp I HOPE. I would guess I will be at 670-690rwhp on a mustang dynojet when I tune it next week. I'm going to put Kooks cats on it to try and quiet it down some before I tune it. The offroads, longtubes and Magnaflow scream like a banshee and then add the YSI and the car sounds like a 747 going by. Not bad for a weekend warrior car, but my wife refuses to ride in it because, "everybody is looking at us". And.........?

Wow. A 3.12" and a 10% and only 13psi??
You must have a huge intercooler!!
What RPM is that 13psi at? Redline?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
You cant measure the pulley like that. You have to measure the grooves not the outside edge. You'll need a caliper gauge to do it accurately.

The 96 Cobra pulley is 6.5 inches. If you measured your Vortech pulley the same way you show in the picture attached you need to remeasure it.

Damn!! You are right.
6.5" it is
Thanks for the correction

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Wow. A 3.12" and a 10% and only 13psi??
You must have a huge intercooler!!
What RPM is that 13psi at? Redline?

Well here's the thing. My gauge says 16 the Dyno says 13 so I don't know which to believe. Standard size intercooler, with ported heads and a trickflow intake. 530rwhp on just 13lbs i think is pretty damn good.

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
When running a 15-18% damper, you may run into over pressurizing the cooling system also. If your spinning over 6200rpms. I have had a radiator come apart, and two heater hoses split also. I converted to an electric W/P. Issue solved.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
i run a 10% a 3.12 and see 13lbs

I run an identical setup on my GT and see 17psi all day right at 7k rpm through stage 3 ported heads, mild cams, stock plastic intake manifold.

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you have long tubes and no cats you might see a bit less boost. Running the ported intake you can drop some boost. All these things added up makes it difficult to compare boost numbers. I run 17psi through the stock intake still and stock exhaust manifolds into an O/R prochamber. Not bad, making 550 while still using those pretty restrictive parts and a conservative California 91 pisswater tune. One big plus with the stock intake is the torque I make even with the vortech. Most people I have seen even in the 580 hp range still have tq below 500.

Last edited:

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
I run an identical setup on my GT and see 17psi all day right at 7k rpm through stage 3 ported heads, mild cams, stock plastic intake manifold.

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you have long tubes and no cats you might see a bit less boost. Running the ported intake you can drop some boost. All these things added up makes it difficult to compare boost numbers. I run 17psi through the stock intake still and stock exhaust manifolds into an O/R prochamber. Not bad, making 550 while still using those pretty restrictive parts and a conservative California 91 pisswater tune. One big plus with the stock intake is the torque I make even with the vortech. Most people I have seen even in the 580 hp range still have tq below 500.

I agree with you. I do have long tubes with no cats, ported heads, trickflow trackheat intake through an intercooler. So it takes less boost for me to make more power. Since i lost boost with the intake swap ill be dropping my pulley down to a 2.87 and adding meth injection so i can put some timing into the car.

Users who are viewing this thread