Anybody experiencing loose play in steering. Steering shaft suggestions.

red03dave

Established Member
I have the MM steering shaft in my car and it eliminated all the slop and also gives ten times more road feedback then the stock one, (I also have a tubular k, a arms, and coil overs). One of the best suspension purchases I have made. GO FOR IT!

Taz

Established Member
Is the Borgeson shaft worth the extra $110 vs. the shaft offered by MM?

You'd have to be one to make that decision. I have been using the Borgeson on my Cobra for about 6 years, and I've been very pleased with it, but I have never personally compared it with the MM or Flaming River shafts. When I bought my Borgeson, I bought it from MM, as this is the shaft MM was stocking at that time.

BTW, I just did a search and found the Borgeson 153-650 shaft (Terminator Mustangs use this shaft, as well as those listed) at Jeg's for $308. That makes the cost difference $58, instead of $110.

Borgeson intermediate shaft

You may be able to find it for even less, if you poke around a little.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
BTW, I just did a search and found the Borgeson 153-650 shaft (Terminator Mustangs use this shaft, as well as those listed) at Jeg's for $308. That makes the cost difference $58, instead of $110.

Borgeson intermediate shaft

You may be able to find it for even less, if you poke around a little.

Thanks. :beer:

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
As long as their integrity hasn't been compromised, the rag joint on the intermediate shaft and the rubber steering rack bushings only make the steering feel spongy and slow. They don't contribute to play.

If you have play - the kind in which the steering wheel feels like it's not connected to anything at all for a few degrees of rotation - then your culprit is probably the metal bushing in the firewall that the intermediate shaft passes through.

This bushing is just press-fit from the interior side and can back out. When that happens you end up with play. You might even hear a metallic clank when the steering wheel reaches each end of the dead zone when swinging the wheel back and forth.

To correct the problem, re-seat the firewall bushing with a block of wood and a hammer. You don't even need to remove the intermediate shaft to do this, as the bushing has a nice, wide flange to bang on.

This tip is based on firsthand experience, as I learned it the hard way after developing a bunch of play in my own steering system. First, I replaced the rubber rack bushings with the aluminum MM parts. No help. Then, I replaced the intermediate shaft with a Borgeson Universal shaft that completely eliminated the rag joint with a second U-joint. No help. Finally, I discovered the loose bushing and banged it back down against the floorboard. Problem solved.

That was 3 years ago.

Just bumping this up, if any cobra owners experience excessive play or noise, check this first. I looked and mine was nearly backed all the way out. Car has 34K miles on it. I used a brass drift and hammer to re-seat the bushing. It cured all of my slop and my noise.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Just bumping this up, if any cobra owners experience excessive play or noise, check this first. I looked and mine was nearly backed all the way out. Car has 34K miles on it. I used a brass drift and hammer to re-seat the bushing. It cured all of my slop and my noise.

glad you bumped this, that bearing assembly slid out and was just hanging around on the steering shaft (had a bitch of a time getting the steering shaft back in after the kooks headers that fit like shit, guess we knocked it loose), I put it back in the rubber boot but didnt realize it needed to be pressed back in place.

How hard do you have to bash that thing to get it seated correctly?

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
Wasn't bad at all, not much effort. I just started the car, rotated the steering wheel as I worked my way around the bushing. Couldn't believe how far up it had worked itself.

Users who are viewing this thread