Anybody every tried Ancestry.com or something similar?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Interesting. I’ll tell my sister.
And I didn't mean to come off as telling you she's wrong. Who knows.
I've got some civil war dead in the family and know a little bit of the history, but the surrender of Atlanta is fairly well documented on the intertoobz.

And you know if it's on the intertoobs, it must be true. :D

Machdup1

Established Member
And I didn't mean to come off as telling you she's wrong. Who knows.
I've got some civil war dead in the family and know a little bit of the history, but the surrender of Atlanta is fairly well documented on the intertoobz.

And you know if it's on the intertoobs, it must be true. :D
No worries. I always figured my family were mutts, so I don’t really care. I can always claim I married well.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Did you learn anything interesting?

I've thought about doing it, just to see if where I think my family is from is true. I've also thought about getting a kit for my parents. But I'm not sure what I, or they, would potentially learn is worth the price. Just wondering if anyone has any really remarkable stories to share, or if it's just "meh".

French kiss three different women before you submit your spit. Report back.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
No worries. I always figured my family were mutts, so I don’t really care. I can always claim I married well.
Everybody has mutts. My family on my dad's side is derived from one guy from France who arrived in 1720 in Wilmington NC. Anyone with our last name in the U.S. is either descended from, or was possibly owned by, someone descended from him.

There is a family reunion at a Revolutionary War battleground once every ten years and anyone with that last name is invited. The folks who show up are mostly white, a few black, and a few native Americans.

We're all mutts. lol

coposrv

Established Member
Everybody has mutts. My family on my dad's side is derived from one guy from France who arrived in 1720 in Wilmington NC. Anyone with our last name in the U.S. is either descended from, or was possibly owned by, someone descended from him.

There is a family reunion at a Revolutionary War battleground once every ten years and anyone with that last name is invited. The folks who show up are mostly white, a few black, and a few native Americans.

We're all mutts. lol

Kind of the same story with us. Everyone in North America with our surname traces back to the same man in Montreal in the early mid 1600’s.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Kind of the same story with us. Everyone in North America with our surname traces back to the same man in Montreal in the early mid 1600’s.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Montreal, as in Canada?

4358655.gif

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Interesting. But, I've already been fingerprinted for TSA pre-check, which is practically as bad. Plus, I'm pretty confident nobody that's still alive in my family is a criminal. So, I'm not too worried.
pretty much. my DNA is in the data banks of a half dozen military and civilian agencies and my fingerprints are in even more databases .. so it doesn't make a bit of difference to me to have one or two more

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
pretty much. my DNA is in the data banks of a half dozen military and civilian agencies and my fingerprints are in even more databases .. so it doesn't make a bit of difference to me to have one or two more
But but they promised not to use them for anything other than identifying your body,
Lol

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
But but they promised not to use them for anything other than identifying your body,
Lol

well some of them did ! I have very little doubt that the police and civilian agencies that have them did not hesitate to keep a copy in their databases for other uses as well.

GodStang

Established Member
One of my dad's cousins back in the 90s did it the hard way. He has my father's side going all the way back to I think 1753. Anyone with the same spelling as my last name is related.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I did Ancestry thinking at first I would not find much, but part of the power of it is other people with the same relatives that offer things such as photographs, documents and stories when they do their family tree and have a common ancestor. Google searches of relatives found will also turn up information. I found photos of ancestors that fought in the Civil war and found I had multiple relatives on my fathers side that fought in the civil war. I also found out that many of the places I have lived, I had a relative that had been there before. For example, I lived in Manassas Virginia, then Strasburg Va then bought a house in the West Virginia panhandle. My Great Great Grandfather who was in the 16th North Carolina regiment fought in 2nd Manassas under Stonewall Jackson, traveled through Strasburg and was camped for 2 months a stones throw from where I now live. My 7 times great grandfather I found out is buried in Manassas, Va and I visited his grave. I found out that I had multiple relatives that fought in the Revolutionary war and have found pension document accounts for revolutionary war relatives and the Civil war relatives. Earliest of my dads side came to Jamestown in 1621, one of them founded the earliest Episcopal Church in Delaware in 1689. If you have time for it, it can be a great experience.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'm 26 months into a rabbit hole of family history. I'll try to keep this short. (not happening, LOL) It started with an ad on FB, talking about countries that offer birthright citizenship. Bored, I love to travel, so I clicked it. It talked about if your Grandparents are Irish, if your parents are English, if your ancestors flew Germany from the Nazi, and then it mentioned Italy. "Hey, I'm Italian!"

It said "Italian citizenship is passed on from parent to child without limitation of generation. You only need to produce evidence that everyone in your direct line of ascendants has maintained their Italian citizenship without interruption since 1861."

Not exactly terms I was familiar with. Some googling and in simple terms, if an Italian couple left Italy after 1861, and had a kid in the new country, BEFORE they (the parents) became citizens, then Italy views that kid as Italian. In the US, that kid would be view American though. That kid, grows up, marries, has a kid, and Italy still views that kid as Italian too. There's no generational limit, where like from Ireland, I think its 2 generations.

So now I'm like 2 hours into googling and read and this is really a thing. Off I went to ancestry and familysearch for more dates on my ancestors. I wasn't even exactly sure who came to the US. I found out an uncle had uploaded out family tree going back about 7 generations. It was my great great grandparents who came to America in 1908 and had my great grandpa in 1910. More searching and I find that my GGGF became a US citizen in 1932....so I qualify? Wait...what...no way!

Sure enough, it's legit. I started studying the rules, and requirements. Simple summary is every birth, marriage and death certificate for everyone all the way back to Italy, apostilles on those docs, and having all those vital records translated into Italian. With 8 months, I had that done. Here's what the spread looks like, complete with application forms, copies of my ID/passport and the 300 euro money order.

JzWkqNs.jpg

I had a successful appointment at the Italian consulate October 2017, and per Italian law they have 2 years to process the application. I got emailed on 1/3/19 that I had been recognized and if I wish, I am now able to schedule an appointment to come order my Italian passport. I would have gone this week, but I'm flying to LA in a couple days to go drool over some Zondas and Koenigseggs. I'll be heading up for my passport in about 2 weeks.

...all thanks to a random FB ad, and also the man holding my dad, my great great Grandpa Giuseppe.

uiTpKhx.jpg

Attachments

• JzWkqNs.jpg
    JzWkqNs.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 33
  • uiTpKhx.jpg
    uiTpKhx.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread