Anybody else watch the new Star Trek?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Didn't know there was another ST in the making. I never was into it but I do like Sci-Fi so I'm watching it right now. I had to buy CBS All Access to get the Texans Sunday afternoon games anyway since Sling doesn't carry that network.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I thought this had promise until CBS decided to sue them into oblivion.
Speaking as someone who watched the original Star Trek weekly, but had to go to bed in the middle of the weekly installments at 8:30PM because I was 10, I am greatly distracted by your avatar.

Long live Invader Zim.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I tried watching the third episode last night, fell asleep on the couch. I was already tired before starting it, however did not expect it to put me to sleep.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's not so bad. You just have to put everything you know about the other Star Trek series to the side. Don't try to compare it to any of the others. This series is slotted 10 years before Kirk and 60 - 65 years after the Enterprise series. When this one starts, Kirk has only been in Star Fleet Academy for 1 year.

This one might be more entertaining than you think. From first introductions, the entire crew of Discovery seems shady as hell. Can't tell if they're "good guys" or vigilantes. I suspect a lot of Star Fleet rules will be broken and the prime directive will be trampled on like grass.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's not so bad. You just have to put everything you know about the other Star Trek series to the side. Don't try to compare it to any of the others. This series is slotted 10 years before Kirk and 60 - 65 years after the Enterprise series. When this one starts, Kirk has only been in Star Fleet Academy for 1 year.

This one might be more entertaining than you think. From first introductions, the entire crew of Discovery seems shady as hell. Can't tell if they're "good guys" or vigilantes. I suspect a lot of Star Fleet rules will be broken and the prime directive will be trampled on like grass.

I watched the third episode again tonight, this time I wasn't dead tired. Was a really good episode, better than the 1st two and I agree this crew is shady as ****. This has the potential to be some really good sci-fi. I am not a Trekkie, more of a Star Wars dork, so this departure from traditional Star Trek doesn't really bother me.

Speaking of the prime directive...

IMG_2405.JPG

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I watched the third episode again tonight, this time I wasn't dead tired. Was a really good episode, better than the 1st two and I agree this crew is shady as ****. This has the potential to be some really good sci-fi. I am not a Trekkie, more of a Star Wars dork, so this departure from traditional Star Trek doesn't really bother me.

Speaking of the prime directive...

View attachment 1436714

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
So I watched an episode of The Orville. Besides the Seth MacFarlane humor that show feels more like Star Trek to me than STD.

ive been enjoying the Orville. keeps getting better too. Bortus and his partner crack me up.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

He took 21 minutes just to say he's butthurt that the show isn't overwhelmingly cast with white males. His rant about the Klingons was ridiculous. He apparently doesn't follow Star Trek canon closely enough to know that the only reason Klingons looked more human in the past was because the makeup technology didn't exist (or wasn't yet practical enough) to make them look like Gene Roddenberry's vision. He probably also doesn't realize that Vulcans are supposed to be green. Then again, maybe he does and gives it a pass because they've been made white.

Anyway... That was less a review and more of a monologue of some douchebag voicing that he wants Hollywood to remain whitewashed. Diversity is evil, I guess.

He goes on to complain about the acting without taking into consideration that the actors are still learning, creating, and becoming the characters. It takes time to build rhythm and momentum in a cast. I suppose he has forgotten how horrible the acting was in the first several episodes of pretty much ALL the Star Trek franchises. None of the TNG cast were even Trek fans. Jonathon Frakes (Cmdr Riker) had never even seen an episode of Star Trek! That cast-wide ignorance is probably what made TNG such a great show. They weren't trying to emulate the Kirk crew. They paved their own path. The production crew of Discovery should do the same thing.

If rightist snowflakes want to be mad and butthurt, so what? They're still watching, if for no reason other than to have something to complain about. They're still helping the shows view ratings, and their complaining brings more attention to the show. So it's a lose-lose for them and a win-win for the show.

--------

I caught the last half of last night's Orville episode. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be funny or serious. The cinematography and special effects are extremely reminiscent of TNG. The ship looks kind of weird. From the back, it looks like that Rolling Stones mouth symbol. I might try to catch up on the previous episodes on Hulu.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Good to see you didn’t listen to any of it. So I’ll do the same with your giant post of regurgitated nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Good to see you didn’t listen to any of it. So I’ll do the same with your giant post of regurgitated nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Actually, I did listen to it. And you clearly read my post, otherwise, how would you be able to call it "regurgitated nonsense?"

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Have only seen the premier of Star Trek Discovery, and I thought it SUCKED. What a bunch of total BS........ and the overly-done PC is hilarious.
A truly terrible show and an insult to the Star Trek franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread