Anybody else have trouble syncing their TPMS sensors?

Impact 5.0

Established Member
I'm going through the same thing, had my new wheels and tires put on and 50+ miles later I got the Fault light. Took it to 3 different Tire stores and the TPMS tool to check to see if they are putting out a signal all showed nothing. Shop is sending me 4 new ones.

cdog1157

Established Member
This is not making me look forward to my new wheels/tires that should be here next week. It would drive me nuts having that light come on and having to pay to have to change the sensors out.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
This is not making me look forward to my new wheels/tires that should be here next week. It would drive me nuts having that light come on and having to pay to have to change the sensors out.

You might be one of the lucky ones whose work.

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Can't get the wife's to work so I'm gonna call them today and see what they say.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Well got the replacement sensors in today from AM. Took them out the car and they trained to it with out any problems. I debating on doing the PVC trick or getting them mounted in the car.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Ugh. So the new sensors trained to the car fine. I went and burned most of my day running to the nearest city to get them swapped out. Got them installed, retrained them to the car no problem. Got 20 miles on the car and it threw another fault like it isn't reading the sensors. I got home and retrained them again. I have a feeling in 20 miles they are going to crap out on me again though. Really getting sick of seeing that stupid light on my dash. I hate TPMS systems.

2nd2none

Established Member
Bought a set of sensors from Americanmuscle.com to go with a set of wheels/tires I picked up from another user on this website. Go to Discount Tire to have the tires mounted and my new sensors installed. Get home and put the wheels on the car and tried to set the TPMS. I have the little Ford programmer that AM also sells. When prompted to program left front I couldn't get it to work. It eventually timed out. I started over and I tried going to all 4 wheels and none of them registered. Went back to Discount Tire and had their TPMS guy try to program it with their big programmer and none of them were registering for him either. American Muscle also sell valve stem mounted sensors for the 05-09 Mustangs as well to replace the band type. I remember reading on a forum that someone with an 05-09 bought sensors from them and had the same problem from me. Turned out AM sent him the 10-13 sensors instead. I'm thinking I have the same problem except they sent me 05-09 ones. I believe AM also reimbursed him to have the tires removed again and rebalanced after putting the correct sensors in.

Overtorqued

Established Member
On a set of wheels/tires I got from AM, I had to let the air out of the tires for a while, air them back up, then do the procedure. Prior to that, none of them would work. I believe you have to do the training procedure within a certain period of time after they are exposed to pressure or they won't work.

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Never got my wires to work, so ordered new sensors from Ford cause she had already sold her factory wheels. American muscle did however pay for swapping them out 3 times and they also refunded the full amount for their sensors.

cdog1157

Established Member
I finally got my wheels and did the relearn process on the TPMS sensors and it said training complete but I haven't driven the car very much yet so I guess we'll see what happens.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Mine have gotten into a funny state. Since I lowered the car more it seems like the car is registering, but they aren't comm'ing up (to actually read the air pressure). So the car isn't throwing errors or faults and I can run whatever air pressure I want. Course I might have just jinx'd myself.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
bought a set of sve drifts from lms back when they had their dec 12% sale. it looks like no more snow for nova so I put them on today. could not get the right rear tpms to 'wake up'. did the deflate / wait 5 min / inflate a few times but it didn't wake up until I went for a drive. pita but I'm glad it finally worked. summer shoes!!!

adedumyh.jpg

01bluesnake

Established Member
I read through a few post but wanted to add some info in case it wasnt mentioned. When programming your new wheels and tires, make sure you are not parked by your old wheels/tire with the originally programmed sensors. The signals from the sensors is strong enough that even when using my track wheels that had no sensors, my stock wheels would reset my system if i parked even 5 feet from them. Thought this was pretty interesting but could be interference in similar RFI signals throwing the programming out of whack. The new wheels might not be getting programmed correct, but because parked by your old set, it is checking out ok when going through programming even if the new one didnt register.

Last edited:

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I have the American muscle ones too and they just are flat out not working. I put them on my car and drove about 50 miles before the tpms fault light went on. I tried to synch them
With the syncing tool from AM and it's not working.
I'm on the verge of buying new ford tpms sensors and paying to have them swapped.

Can anyone confirm that I have to let all the air out and then synch them? Will this work?
Sure would save me alot of money if it's true
yes it is.
i got mine and they didnt sync.
i let air out below 15psi, wait 15min. aired up to what the door jamb requires. i think 38psi. then go through the sync procedure. horn honked on all wheels and no problems since.
you can adjust your tire pressure after, as long as you dont go under 15psi.or over 50psi

Chaney5.0

I purposely didn't get Am to feel them with nitrogen because about 75% of people using nitrogen were having troubles getting the TPMS to sync. Me how ever I put the tires on and right away synced them. Worked perfectly. Only way to get the TPMS to reset is to let all the air out. Per instructions. A ford dealer should have nitrogen to fill them up. If they are cool they shouldn't charge you to do it. If they are going to try and tell them the situation and be nice about it.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I read through a few post but wanted to add some info in case it wasnt mentioned. When programming your new wheels and tires, make sure you are not parked by your old wheels/tire with the originally programmed sensors. The signals from the sensors is strong enough that even when using my track wheels that had no sensors, my stock wheels would reset my system if i parked even 5 feet from them. Thought this was pretty interesting but could be interference in similar RFI signals throwing the programming out of whack. The new wheels might not be getting programmed correct, but because parked by your old set, it is checking out ok when going through programming even if the new one didnt register.

agree. i stored my old wheels in the basement. my wife's flex was in the garage so I put my car as far away as possible at the end of the driveway (the funky wheel was the farthest one away). the tool thing pisses me off. the car should just sense the tpms.

Users who are viewing this thread