Any USPSA/IPSC shooters here?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have my first USPSA qualifier match coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone else on board competes? I was also considering IDPA but the USPSA competitions are a better logistical fit for me given my schedule and whatnot.

I don't expect much for my first time out, but if anyone has any tips/tricks or just general experience I would be happy to listen.

I'm bringing a stock-as-a-rock glock 22, with a Comp-Tac International (belt style) holster and a few mag holders for my left side. I didn't want to trick out my glock 22 and get forced into a crazy-ass race gun division right away.

Shoot fast!

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
been doing this for 20+ years. shoot for all a-zone hits and take your time. you will end up in a better position on the score sheet. learn the game and take some helpful hints from the more advanced shooters. the glock is a good start as they are known for reliability which is a must. good luck! richard, uspsa ty33576 a-class open southeast texas practical shooters

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
The best advice I was given when I started was take your time and don't pull the trigger until you have the A-zone or steel in your sight picture. People in the shooting sports have a sheep dog mentality and will be all over you with help and advice if you let them know you're new. Good luck, competitions will give you a new outlook on shooting and self defense.

Thehubster

Established Member
I looked into the IDPA here in Arkansas when I first got here but it is an expensive hobby and I already have one of those. its called my car. though I will admit is would be a pretty awesome way to get good at shooting under pressure. I mean I use Autocross to get to know what my car does at the limits why not use this kind of thing to learn to shoot under pressure. What does a regular day of practice cost for this kind of thing? I don't think I would ever be a real competitor, like I am not a really big competitor in autocross, but I would do it for fun and to learn.

aaandht

Established Member
I started doing USPSA in October. I'll summarize my first match. First stage I was nervous, and forgot to ram the mag into my 1911. I ended up failing to engage 2 of the targets:thumbsup: Second stage I got a hell of a lot more comfortable. I wish I had a video of my final stage. We had a Texas star along with a few steel plates and a plate rack. I ended up shooting 2.5 mags trying to get the Texas star. I finally knocked all the plates off the star; blazed through the plate rack only to be short one round. :loser: It was still probably the most fun I've had, and to say I was addicted is an understatement.

Shoot slow, and just get comfortable. Prior to the match I only shot static in a port with the exception of one tactical class. Since my first match I've now gotten much more into the groove and I go to at least 2 matches a month. People LOVE to help and will give you tons of tips.

I like USPSA/IPSC because its more of a thinking sport. I shoot single stack(1911) I have to plan my stage different than a production shooter. Being able to plan a stage my way is half the fun, IMO. IDPA has way too many rules IMO and you have little room shoot a stage your way without getting time faults.

Also remember this is a volunteer sport. One way to make friends at these events is to get there early and set up and/or stay late to help clean up. Also help your squad out by taping targets, assist with scoring and such.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Hey thanks guys. I'll start in production, but depending on what mods you can get away with I imagine I'll end up in limited eventually. For a glock, I'd really just like a better set of sights, a little trigger work, and an extended mag release button (my hands are on the smaller side) so that I don't have to adjust my grip when I drop a mag. Not sure if I'd ever make the jump to Open, but we will see.

The match is actually at the NRA HQ range, so there will be no lack of knowledge floating around.

aaandht

Established Member
Same here, we had one scheduled for Sunday. I just got a set of Pivotheads which I was hoping to try out, what a bummer! That's two outdoor matches this month that have been canceled.

Users who are viewing this thread