Any turbo guys drive in the rain?

MTBSully

Established Member
Random question here. But i can't help but notice when I close my hood that the air filter on my turbo is directly below one of my Fore hood vents (aka wide open). I don't drive my car in the rain if i can avoid it, but I am not one of those people that treats my mustang like its a lambo either, so i do get caught in the rain once and a while. If it is raining there is no chance I would get into boost anyways, but anyone see this causing any issues?

I was thinking maybe I could carry a 5 gallon ziplock bag in the car and if it starts raining I will just drape the bag over the filter (making sure its secure and not going to blow into acc drive or anything like that).

Anyone else ever thought of this?

dark-knight

Established Member
Curious about this aswell. My friends turbo car is about to be done and his turbo is directly under the vent.

nstag8r

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Mine was going to be the same way so I made a 4in cold pipe and got my filter in the fender.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I just drove mine in consistent rain for about two hours a few weeks back. I have a hellion kit and a huge air filter and it was fine. I popped the hood when I got home and it was dry as can be. I have stock hood vents with no drip tray. That turbo gets so hot any water that would touch that itself evaporates instantly.

MTBSully

Established Member
I just drove mine in consistent rain for about two hours a few weeks back. I have a hellion kit and a huge air filter and it was fine. I popped the hood when I got home and it was dry as can be. I have stock hood vents with no drip tray. That turbo gets so hot any water that would touch that itself evaporates instantly.

Really? My turbo placement is almost exactly the same as yours:

y9ara6u4.jpg

I am just worried that the rain might soak the filter. The filter itself should't get hot, so what happens to the water that lands on the filter?

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Try a rain sock if you can find one big enough. I have one for my open air filter on my Harley it's works great.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Yeah I feel your pain I got cought in the rain one time and my hood vent is right above the Maf censer and water was pouring on it. I also have the fore hood vents so nothing was stoping it. I have changed to a complete custom turbo kit and the Maf is in the fender now plus I just don't drive in the rain unless I get cought in it.

MTBSully

Established Member
Yeah I feel your pain I got cought in the rain one time and my hood vent is right above the Maf censer and water was pouring on it. I also have the fore hood vents so nothing was stoping it. I have changed to a complete custom turbo kit and the Maf is in the fender now plus I just don't drive in the rain unless I get cought in it.

My MAF won't get wet and chances are if it is raining I would never get into boost anyways but i would hate to suck in some water and a $15 rain sock should help that. I can just keep it in the glovebox or something.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
However, I do throw a pretty heavy towel over the filter when I wash the car. If it's not moving or at temp, the risk is greater. The towel is usually pretty wet from the dripping

MTBSully

Established Member
I have the same Fore vents, Hellion kit, and I drove home 60 miles on Saturday in a torrential downpour with no issues.

No shit? I wonder what keeps the water from getting in? Maybe like has been said movement/car hot does not allow water in.

However, I do throw a pretty heavy towel over the filter when I wash the car. If it's not moving or at temp, the risk is greater. The towel is usually pretty wet from the dripping

I do the same. Even before I had a turbo right under the vent lol

itSSlow98

Established Member
BTW I looked and forgot I have a 4inch piece of tubing between the turbo and filter now. Thats where I plumbed in a big vacuum line that runs to the catch can. That pushes the filter right where vent ends.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Really? My turbo placement is almost exactly the same as yours:

y9ara6u4.jpg

I am just worried that the rain might soak the filter. The filter itself should't get hot, so what happens to the water that lands on the filter?

If you guys are talking about this configuration, it really just depends on what part of the system is under the hood vent. If it's the turbo, you'll be fine. If it's the filter, I'd put a tube on there to extend it out of direct rain or water splashes. Although it probably won't get too wet while driving because of the airflow and pressure zones on the hood, sitting at a light or something the filter could get soaked.

I had a Vortech on my GT with the filter that went down in the fenderwell. When I put on an '03 Cobra bumper w/o foglights, the filter was directly behind the open foglight hole. I thought it was great for airflow until I was driving in pouring rain and I couldn't go past 1/4 throttle without the car falling on its face. When the filter got soaked, it couldn't draw in air and starved the engine. I put a plate on the hole to block the rain and the problem went away.

Users who are viewing this thread