Any tractor nuts here?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Just thought I would share my find. Over the weekend I picked up a 90/91(I keep forgetting to google the serial number) John Deere 285 with the Kawasaki 590V liquid cooled two cylinder.

I nabbed the thing for 300 bucks, needing a little bit of work on the deck hardware, and a PTO switch, but that's about it. It's in great shape, no rust anywhere, no cracks in the seat, and the paint still shines. 700 hours.

I literally knew NOTHING about these things before I got this, I just wanted a functional riding mower. When I went looking to get a second one for parts in case I needed it, I found out that the mower was worth a good deal more than what I paid. Most in similar condition, with more hours were selling for 1k plus.

Turns out, you can still get all of the parts for this thing at the local John Deere dealership, so no parts tractor is needed.

So it looks like while I bought this as a temporary mower to get me through a summer or two, I might as well just keep it. I can maintain this one for much less than it would cost me to buy a new one, and there are lots of folks with well over 1500 hours on theirs. Pretty neat..

Anyway, thought I'd share.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My family are all farmers so I've been around big tractors since I was a kid.

I have a John Deere 670 at my place, it comes in handy for all sorts of things. Good piece of equipment to have around.

Had to dig a ~330' trench to run a new drain for my geothermal heat pump a few months ago. Would have been a bitch to do this by hand.

8453DA76-5C22-4966-872B-574CFBF2FF02-8708-000009B407A433D0_zpsaa531c1a.jpg

Had to use it to drag the tarp out of the pool when I opened it too. Turns out there were a few water logged cinder blocks in there. :D

2013-04-25174141_zpsb213c3f8.jpg

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Cool. Mine isn't that big, it's just a garden tractor..no hydraulics, it's one model under that...it can still use some of the attachments, but it uses a "spring assist" instead. One less bucket of fluid to maintain I suppose.

I was really surprised at how expensive some of the old tractors are, but I've got mine now, and I'm happy.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Here comes the MACA Tractor Club!

Actually I'm jealous...I'd like to have one but, with a TH and a postage stamp yard...I barely need the mower I have! :(

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
LOL, GARDEN Tractors guys, GARDEN tractor. I have an acre, I don't need a full on front loader. Although, that would be kinda cool....

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I was really surprised at how expensive some of the old tractors are, but I've got mine now, and I'm happy.

Yeah, good stuff like Deere really holds its value. 670's like mine still go for 5-10 grand even if they're 15 years old.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
I could only handle cutting an acre with my JD for a couple of years. Got a residential grade Exmark and cut my time in half and way more fun to run. Now the JD is the work horse with a utility dump I use weekly.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My family are all farmers so I've been around big tractors since I was a kid.

I have a John Deere 670 at my place, it comes in handy for all sorts of things. Good piece of equipment to have around.

Had to dig a ~330' trench to run a new drain for my geothermal heat pump a few months ago. Would have been a bitch to do this by hand.

8453DA76-5C22-4966-872B-574CFBF2FF02-8708-000009B407A433D0_zpsaa531c1a.jpg

Had to use it to drag the tarp out of the pool when I opened it too. Turns out there were a few water logged cinder blocks in there. :D

2013-04-25174141_zpsb213c3f8.jpg

what did it take for you to convert to geo thermal? I am looking at changing over my heating and cooling to something efficient and natural gas is out so geo thermal is the only option. It be on 2 acres so I should have enough room.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Looking at the title, I thought Mike was missing a few fasteners for his tractor.

I could use a small tractor with a front bucket, right about now, to finish the landscaping around my new pool.

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor. Does that count. It is a heavied up mower with a full steel, boxed, frame. I had plans to hook a plow to it for the winter. That never happened. Now I have heavier lawn mower than I really need. The twin cylinder, 25hp, Kohler motor just chugs around the yard and never gets put to any real uses. I have thought about selling it and getting a walk behind, since my yard has gotten smaller with the pool and landscaping.

rw93cobra

Established Member
I have a few older cub cadets from back when IH owned them, and they were built to last. I go to a few local tractor shows a year and one day would like to restore mine to show.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
what did it take for you to convert to geo thermal? I am looking at changing over my heating and cooling to something efficient and natural gas is out so geo thermal is the only option. It be on 2 acres so I should have enough room.

It was already there when I bought the place.

Mine is an open loop system - it pumps water from the well, through the system, and then drains it down to the pond you see in that picture. For an open loop, you need a GOOD well. Anytime the heat or air is on, it's pumping water and it uses a LOT. It is good for saving money on heating/cooling, though. Granted it's a log house, but my electric bill is ~$175/mo year round for a 3,500 sq. ft. house.

The problem I had with the system was that the water it's using is straight out of the well and it has a lot of iron in it. The original drain line was 1" black plastic pipe and it kept getting clogged with crud. I dug it all out and re-ran the drain with 2" PVC.

There is also a closed loop system, which is more expensive to put in but you don't have to worry about being able to supply enough water. That's where they just install the grid of piping out under your yard, and the same water gets pumped through it continuously.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
:lol: Not surprised. What's happening at East Norbeck?

Mike, will your JD dig those trenches you need for the downspout drains?

Yeah maybe, if I could find an attachment for it. They dont' make stuff that fits mine anymore, so I have to CL it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Looking at the title, I thought Mike was missing a few fasteners for his tractor.

I could use a small tractor with a front bucket, right about now, to finish the landscaping around my new pool.

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor. Does that count. It is a heavied up mower with a full steel, boxed, frame. I had plans to hook a plow to it for the winter. That never happened. Now I have heavier lawn mower than I really need. The twin cylinder, 25hp, Kohler motor just chugs around the yard and never gets put to any real uses. I have thought about selling it and getting a walk behind, since my yard has gotten smaller with the pool and landscaping.

That would not be an inaccurate assumption. The left front draw arm is shot, it was bent at a 90 when I got it. My friend Pat has a torch, so we bent it back "close enough" to be used, but it's still preventing me from leveling the deck properly. Gardners has a new one for me today, I'm gonna go grab it tomorrow morning.

Scottyk

Established Member
I work for Deere does that count? Engineer for the S650 FT4 13.5 liter engine base group.

oh and I have a F525 riding lawnmower

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I work for Deere does that count? Engineer for the S650 FT4 13.5 liter engine base group.

oh and I have a F525 riding lawnmower

I'd say that counts. Maybe I should start a betting pool for how long I have until the plastic cam gear on my 590V breaks and I have to crack it open..lol.

Users who are viewing this thread