any tips on fixing leaking gasket on Moroso intercooler tank cap?

KBR

Established Member
Hi Guys,
Any tips on fixing leaking gasket on Lethal/Moroso intercooler tank cap? I tried tightening the screws, but coolant is still weeping out.
Leaking cap.JPG

8061CD5E-8639-485F-AF2B-EC0A01DA81B0.JPG

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Sounds like it's being pressurized. I had the same issue until swapping I/C mani tube orings

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
He's referring to the O-rings on the pass through tubes going into the intercooler below the blower. If they fail it allows boost pressure to pressurize the intercooler system. If they are factory original it would be a good idea to replace them. You can get them from Ford but they want a small fortune for 4 O-rings. Standard #115 O-rings will work. 7/8" OD, 11/16" ID, 3/32" width.

KBR

Established Member
He's referring to the O-rings on the pass through tubes going into the intercooler below the blower. If they fail it allows boost pressure to pressurize the intercooler system. If they are factory original it would be a good idea to replace them. You can get them from Ford but they want a small fortune for 4 O-rings. Standard #115 O-rings will work. 7/8" OD, 11/16" ID, 3/32" width.

Thanks for the info...I’ll talk to my mechanic about it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

pyro1998

Established Member

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I changed the filler neck out on mine, it uses a screw in cap, I'll get a picture of it and the brand when I get home from work today

Nice, my tank cap is always a pain to remove and would love an easier option. After replacing the cap surround plate and gasket I got a replacement cap but it must have been a chicom knockoff because it didnt seal at all.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

good find. Mine is brand new and it's a piece of garbage. It literally gets stuck every single time I want to take it off and I damn near have to break the damn thing.

OrangeCrush04

Established Member
I changed the filler neck out on mine, it uses a screw in cap, I'll get a picture of it and the brand when I get home from work today

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Hi Guys,
Any tips on fixing leaking gasket on Lethal/Moroso intercooler tank cap? I tried tightening the screws, but coolant is still weeping out.
View attachment 1591847
View attachment 1591850
were you able to figure out the leak issue you were having? I'm having the same issue that you are having.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I replaced my gasket last spring. With a slew of other maintenance items. LFP has a gasket kit for sale. Ring, gasket, and hardware. Put mine on, little leak, tightened down a little more, still there. So I assume its the o-rings.

Interesting enough, the factory service manual, it says the cap should hold pressure. So I assume Ford knew that there would be some sort of pressure acting upon the system. Anyhow, I'm going in through the bottom to replace the o-rings. I need to do the original inner belt. Just waiting on Metco to run a batch of inner 6 groove rings. Then new idlers new belt, gives me access to the intercooler manifold. Only downside is crank pulley removal. But it would have to be done for the inner belt anyhow. You can go through the top, if you want to remove blower and whatnot.

Venom351R

Established Member
I had the same pull type cap on mine and it was leaking as well out of the top and came off really hard so I got one of the screw on types instead.

130290394_10221832448973726_253892513467518173_n.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same overflow - POS. My gaskets are all shot. I thought some pressure was normal however because the fluid heats up and expands (just like a radiator). Should it never have pressure? Or should you check like it was a blow head gasket - let it sit overnight and if it's still pressurized - there is a problem?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same overflow - POS. My gaskets are all shot. I thought some pressure was normal however because the fluid heats up and expands (just like a radiator). Should it never have pressure? Or should you check like it was a blow head gasket - let it sit overnight and if it's still pressurized - there is a problem?
I'll get a pic of the service manual today, cant remember exactly the procedure.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Again, I plan on doing mine for peace of mind. Along with inner idlers, and belt. Just things that need to be done over the years. Mine always has had a little dribble, around the rubber seal. I have the LFP tank since 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread