any tips for my 1st time changing oil on Terminator?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ Very good advice on sending a sample to Blackstone Labs!

And don't just pour in 7 quarts. Add the 6 quarts and slowly start a 7th quart, checking the oil level multiple times until it's at Max. In most cases, you'll end up with about 6 1/2 quarts +-. Here is some info on how to properly check your oil level. (At top of page)

SROLD

Established Member
That's correct. 7quarts is too much. Over 14 years 6 1/2 was always the right amount. Make sure you get the old rubber filter gasket off.

Black2010

Established Member
Was about to ask why some of you were putting 7 quarts in. That's to much and having to much oil can be just as bad (and even worse) than having to little.

Start with 6 and go from there.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't think the $8 a quart royal purple went bad. No residue on the oil cap, so all good in my world.

Don't feel bad Brad. I'm with you. I "MAYBE" drive my Roush 150 miles a year. I think my RP oil has been sitting in my Roush for 3 to 4 years now along with the K&N oil filter.

I don't think oil has an expiration date like milk. So, I change it as I feel it needs it on my Roush. My Roush is due for a complete fluid change, but I'm not going to change oil after only driving it 150 miles a year. I have too many cars to be changing oil before it needs to be.

Now, my Cobra gets driven a little more and I do drive it like a sports car. So, the engine oil, transmission oil and coolant gets changed at the recommended intervals (i.e. 3000 miles or 6 months). I even recently had my diff oil changed as it had a bad bearing that needed to be replaced. Some of you may have seen my powder coat thread. So, even my supercharger oil and bearing grease has recently been changed.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
To the people saying 7 is to much not for me. I put 7qts in my 04 and it's not even on max. It's a little below. This was the same for my 01 Cobra as well when I had it. 6 was on minimum. Also they are both on flat ground when filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
I usually do my Cobra once a year as it only averages 1000-1500 miles a year. Being that the car is on E85 and the low mileage the oil always come out like new. Back when my wife had a daily driver that consumed/leaked oil I used the old cobra oil to keep her car filled up lol.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I do something similar with some of the cobra's used oil....I put it in my Honda mower once a year. Good news is the mower hasn't blown up! Lol

As far as the amount for the Cobra....I use the dipstick. I get it just right on the cusp on the top mark and I think it's right at 6.5 quarts. Wonder if there's some inconsistencies with how ford manufactured the dipstick/depth?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my only concern with those extremely long drain intervals would be the filter. I lost a motor to an oiling failure, it was narrowed down to either a filter issue or an issue with the bypass on the pump (I tore the thing down expecting to find broken oil pump gears, they were fine but that killed any chance of the builder determining a proper cause of death determination)

TwinScrewSVT

Established Member
Jack up the car mostly on the passenger side, the oil drain plug is a 16mm I believe located on the driver side. (Jacking the car up more on the passenger side helps the flow) For the oil filter I've been using plastic bags from the grocery store for years to drain the oil filter I start with the first quarter turn then cover with the bag and just turn 1/4 at a time till it starts draining then just go slow and have paper towels on hand. Typically drains in the bag, filter falls in bag. Dab of oil around the new oil filter gasket and screw on. Tighten oil filter and drain plug. Add 6 1/4 quarts oil and start car for a few min ensure pressure is good. Shut off, check dip stick level after off for a few minutes, my cobra takes approximately 6.75 quarts.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As far as the amount for the Cobra....I use the dipstick. I get it just right on the cusp on the top mark and I think it's right at 6.5 quarts. Wonder if there's some inconsistencies with how ford manufactured the dipstick/depth?

Slight variations may occur in oil pan volumes, indicator length, and pressed-in locations of the indicator tube into the block.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
The oil level should not be at max on the stick. Ford recommends 6qts and that puts it right in the middle where it is supposed to be. Too much oil can destroy an engine. Running it a little low won't hurt a thing. Be careful.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
The oil level should not be at max on the stick. Ford recommends 6qts and that puts it right in the middle where it is supposed to be. Too much oil can destroy an engine. Running it a little low won't hurt a thing. Be careful.

Lmao ok. I'd rather be near max which that's were mine is at 7. Not at max I said near. Running it a little low won't hurt a thing? Ok bud.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
Lmao ok. I'd rather be near max which that's were mine is at 7. Not at max I said near. Running it a little low won't hurt a thing? Ok bud.

Do some research first then post your bad info. I'm pretty sure ford engineers know their engines just a little more than you do.....

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Do some research first then post your bad info. I'm pretty sure ford engineers know their engines just a little more than you do.....

Ok bud. Everyone lets run our motors a little low there not expensive this guy is a stiffy lube expert.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I put 5w20 in one time and I heard a bad ticking sound. I drained it right after and put 5w30 back in ticking went away. just fyi

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I seem to recall a lot of threads mentioning that our dipsticks were not acurate for our engines.

I just put 7 QTs of full synthetic and forget about it (normally Mobil 1 or RP - 5W-30). Track the miles and change it every 4K - 5K miles.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm gonna be changing it here in about an hour or two. Gonna put 6 in. Start it for a bit. Let it drain for 30 min or so then and see where it sits. I'll let you guys know where I go from there

Users who are viewing this thread