any thoughts/suggestions about uses of the MyKey feature?

reason4treason

Established Member
MyKey™
Standard on every Mustang, the industry-first MyKey owner controls lets you assign separate keys for additional drivers, all coded to enforce your specific driving restrictions. You can limit vehicle functions, including top speed and audio volume, and add warning alerts at pre-selected speeds. When activated, MyKey also encourages smart driving behavior by muting audio until safety belts are buckled, chiming earlier than non-MyKey systems for low-fuel warnings, and prohibiting the shutoff of key features such as AdvanceTrac® Electronic Stability Control.

Never had a Mustang before so I'm curious about what may be useful about this feature. Is it a one-time deal to select what's coded? In other words, can you come back later and do changes after you create settings? Can you set them or is this done at the dealership? If you have to get it done at a dealership, is there a fee?

What specifically are the "warning alerts?" Are they all chimes? Any little flashing icon or anything to that effect? In Cali anything over 100 mph becomes a category called "excessive speed" that has 2 points instead of 1 for anything under 100, and none of those points can be diminished by doing the driving school option. Already have one of those and seriously want to avoid another, along with the risk of being additionally charged with "reckless" for speed alone. In a vehicle that can easily gain speed while one is listening to music or chatting with passengers, I do have a Passport 9500ix but a warning at 99 mph seems like a good idea. With no head-up display, on a sunny day with the sun going low in the sky, it's hard to easily glance down in the shadows and see mph on the speedo.

The earlier warning for low fuel sounds like a good idea too.

Last edited:

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Just stick one of your keys in the ignition and then hit the setup button until myKey appears. Then you will get a series of options... can't recall all of the top of my head but it is in the owners manual. After you program the key, you can clear all of myKeys by putting in the master ker (the other key you did not use) and hitting menu until you get the clear prompt. I just messed around w/ mine a few weeks ago. I still need to clear the other key or my wife might get a little annoyed by all the dings.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I think MyKey is cool, but useless on the GT500. I mean if you don't trust someone in your car then why the hell would you let them take the GT500? A Focus fine, GT500 no.

reason4treason

Established Member
Just stick one of your keys in the ignition and then hit the setup button until myKey appears. Then you will get a series of options... can't recall all of the top of my head but it is in the owners manual. After you program the key, you can clear all of myKeys by putting in the master ker (the other key you did not use) and hitting menu until you get the clear prompt. I just messed around w/ mine a few weeks ago. I still need to clear the other key or my wife might get a little annoyed by all the dings.

Thanks for the reply. So then if you wanted to set your top speed to 99 you can just set that the same way as this other stuff you speak of and turn it off and on as easily as all other settings?

peteypab2133

Established Member
I think MyKey is cool, but useless on the GT500. I mean if you don't trust someone in your car then why the hell would you let them take the GT500? A Focus fine, GT500 no.

in the city valet parking is required at some places. In my evo and bmw they always.. I would love to set the max mph to 35 lol

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

I might make a lot of enemies with the following, but, I feel like employing a limiting feature serves several purposes.

I won't lie.

There might be a time when I take my car out to a hang out and decide that I'm going to have 15 beers instead of 1-2. Well, that sounds like a wonderful time to have that key available.

I'm human, I make mistakes. If I make that mistake, I want the guy driving home to NOT take advantage of his chance to beat my car up. (yes, the guy driving me home would certainly be a friend, however, no friend of mine is perfect by definition :) )

04svtsnke

Established Member
This is a very smart option! All I can do in the cobra is upas a valet tune which isn't hard to do but the MyKey is an awesome option.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Nobody but me is driving the car and valet drivers arent even allowed to look at it....lol

Users who are viewing this thread