Any Telescopes/Astrophotography people in here?

GodStang

Established Member
Anyone into Telescopes and Astrophotography? My daughter is really into space and science and I want to support her enthusiasm I was looking at getting a telescope. I have a Canon 70D that I would like to attach to the telescope. Anyone have any recommendations of a telescope sub $1K that they recommend? If you have pictures you have taken also post up.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Forgetaboutdit.........get her this!!;):)

Nikon COOLPIX P1000 Super-telephoto digital camera

DSCN1164.jpg
DSCN1167.jpg
DSCN1174.jpg
DSCN3637.jpg
DSCN4441.jpg

All shots taken with my camera on the dock handrail on a bean bag......take a look around my website.........

Home

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks!!:)

These newer cameras are incredible......I never dreamed I could do this sorta stuff with a $1000.00 (now $700.00) hand held device!!:eek:

Get your Daughter one......she'll love it!!:D
I may be attending a satellite launch this month. This camera has great reach!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
For time-lapse astrophotography, you need what's called a "German Equatorial mount," and you'll want one that is automated. It attaches to a tripod and it counters the effects of Earth's rotation in time lapse deep-sky imaging. You'll also want at least a 3" refractor, OR an 8" reflector telescope. You will also want at least "2-inch Crayford style" focuser, on which the camera will be mounted. Then there is the editing software for processing all the images.

The good news is that the Canon 70D is a pretty good camera for this sort of thing. With the above setup.

It isn't cheap. Probably can't touch this for anywhere near a grand. Maybe a grand, if you bought used, but only do that if you have someone who knows this stuff to evaluate the equipment for you before you buy! And there is a pretty steep learning curve for all this. Yes, you can get by with a simple 8-inch Dobsonian telescope and less expensive focuser to hold the camera. But you're limited to bright objects and short exposures.

If there is a local astronomy club near you (and there probably is) start attending some meetings. mention you and your daughter's interest in this, and you'll probably have a dozen volunteers offering to teach you the subject in depth. Some of these folks have truly amazing telescopes, get to know them and they'll invite you to observing sessions, star parties, etc, and show you the ropes.

And for your daughter: many discoveries in astronomy were made by women, from the days of antiquity to the current times. Astronomy is a GREAT intro to science & technology!

Hope you guys have a great time with this!

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I was watching an NFL game a few years ago. They came back from a commercial break and said something like, “We’re going to let one of our camera men have some fun for a second.”

The view changed to a wide angle shot of the whole field. Then it shifted up to the night sky, found a bright star, and started zooming in. When they had reached max zoom, you could see it wasn’t a star, it was Jupiter! You could clearly see some of the bands in the atmosphere, it was fantastic.

Then back to the game. I will never forget that bit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread