Any regret from 6speed guys

ctgreddy

Established Member
First off yes I searched(this forum and Google) and came up with no good threads on either.

I'm curious who has a turbo 6speed cobra and enjoys it. I'm very on the fence about swapping mine. The main positives to me are efficiency, ease on engine components, air temps, power potential, and the sound. I'm not so much worried about the loss of low end torque that the blower has but more so worried about how fast it can go.

My goals: high 9's or 10.0's with traps in low to mid 140's. I have the n2mb which will help on launch/shifting. Anyone have any racing(street or track) vids of a 6speed car post them up! Any other pics/vids/opinions would be helpful! But if you've never driven or owned a turbo car don't bad mouth it with no reason. I know if I build the setup right I won't have issues like people always complain about.

My setup would be:
Mach/cobra intake
Cg hot side with dual gates
Pte 7675 cea and pte gates
Tial bov
Turbosmart eboost2
Custom cold side and downpipe to mate to catback
Treadstone intercooler
E85 ~20lbs of boost

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
mine was fun before going auto, granny shifting it still spooled fast. it was fun! oh you know this because you video taped this :p

** never made it to the track to see what it would do before going auto, therefore why he made a thread**

but on the street the 6 speed was fun.

[video=youtube;XTfc4ki2YBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfc4ki2YBA[/video]

s351

Established Member
No regret here I like shifting gears tho, adds to the fun. Sure an auto would make my car faster, I just don't see the point unless I'm constantly at the track.

MG0h3

Established Member
My turbo fox body was only 5spd and my only complaint was shifting under heavy load/wot. Not exactly sure the mechanics of what was happening, but it felt as if there was so much load in the drivetrain that it was hard to shift. Not like hard to move the gear selector, but almost like the drivetrain was bound up. If I lifted a bit earlier before shifting I wouldnt experience the problem as badly. We had a late 90s F350 turbo diesel with a manual and I noticed the same thing so I dont think it was something with my clutch disengagement or anything. Come to think of it Ive noticed it when driving unloaded big rigs too.

No complaints about lag or anything. In fact, I think the split second that you arent in boost made it more fun as you would get that rush when the torque poured back on after every shift.

Since you hit the strip I think a MVB auto would be the ticket.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I didn't mind the stick but it had a bunch of tradeoffs. Lag was not really a big deal if you knew how to shift.

I looked at it like this. With a turbo stick car with plans on tracking it(drag racing), you are going to tear clutches up. You are going to have to stand on a 2 step just to get it to build boost, this will eventually wreak havoc on engine parts and drivetrain parts depending on how much you abuse it. You will probably have to go through a clutch replacement/rebuild once or twice a season if you drag race it alot. Getting a clutch to handle the power and be streetable plus trans upgrades is sort of a fine line. Yes a twin disc RXT works and drives nice, it handles a decent amount of power, but it is far from indestructible. But factor in the cost of an RXT, trans upgrades then rebuilding it it once a year, plus whatever else breaks launching it off a step @ 5000RPMS plus. The auto just seems more and more worth it.........

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I'll never get mustang owners fascination with the pte 76/75.

I enjoyed my 6 speed car. It "felt" faster than my blower cars. I had a lot more traction with the my turbo car than I do the 3.4 whipple car as well. Do I think it's actually any faster than a properly built twin screw? No. Go turbo if you want to but don't expect with a 6 speed to be any faster.

Last edited:

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
My old 98 TTSaleen had the T56 for over a year before I put the 4R70W in it.
With my 5.4 and the twin 67's it was lazy under 4,000rpms.

I broke it everytime I took it to the track.
2 main shafts, 1 driveshaft, 1 rear end, and 1 axle over 2 track outings.
I never could get my launch right on drag radials and would run low 11's @ 147 mph.

I switched to the auto and the car went low 10's on drag radials and high 9's on ET streets all on pump gas and 19 pounds of boost.
It was much more fun to drive on the street as it would spool up much faster.
The car actually felt like I gained 200hp.

The auto didn't really hurt my rwhp numbers. I went from 925hp with 6 speed to 895 with the auto. I ran a Precision Industries non-lock up converter and a manual valve body 4R70.

Good luck. It will be fun either way, but my recommendation is auto.

Ryan

s351

Established Member
I'll never get mustang owners fascination with the pte 76/75.

I enjoyed my 6 speed car. It "felt" faster than my blower cars. I had a lot more traction with the my turbo car than I do the 3.4 whipple car as well. Do I think it's actually any faster than a properly built twin screw? No. Go turbo if you want to but don't expect with a 6 speed to be any faster.[/QUOT

Traction and not heat soaking in one pull with a pd blower, was why I went turbo.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I had a fox with single turbo and a 5 speed it was a 331 stroker, the car on 9 lbs of boost made 597 horse at the tires. I thought with all the hype I would try a turbo car after running nitrous on 13 cars and superchargers on 5 cars. The car was fun on the street but I hated it at the track I hated not being in boost off the line. All my other cars as soon as you came off the line you were in the power. So I sold the car along with my fox with a kenne bell and bought the cobra. I will build another fox and try turbos again but it will be an auto car just because its going to be a track car 90 percent of the time. That's just my 2 cents if your going to run on the street most of the time the turbo was fun with a stick at the track I wanted to set the car on fire.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I personally prefer borg after hating my precision. I run twin sxe's now.

Did you run a 7675 or you ran Precisions in a twin configuration?

I have used a bunch of different Precision singles without issue. 76GTS, 78GTS and a Billet 7675.

The nice thing about the 7675 is that it is compact in size. You really do not have to mess around with anything to make it fit. To run a comparable Borg in a single, an S476 would be my choice, however, it comes in a much larger housing which makes it a bit trickier to fit. The 7675 gets the job done. Tons of guys going 8s with it, I believe a few my have touched the 7s as well on a 7675. I went mid 9s on pump gas @ 3650# race weight on my only time out with the setup and confident I could have went 8s with it turned up a little and some fine tuning.

Is the 7675 the best for power output in a 76mm size? No, the Borg is a better option and would be my choice as well. I will agree with you on that. But depending on what options you get with the Borg, it can get up there in cost as well. They both have their pros and cons. My 7675 was less money then the S476/S480 I am currently looking at buying at the moment.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Did you run a 7675 or you ran Precisions in a twin configuration?

I have used a bunch of different Precision singles without issue. 76GTS, 78GTS and a Billet 7675.

The nice thing about the 7675 is that it is compact in size. You really do not have to mess around with anything to make it fit. To run a comparable Borg in a single, an S476 would be my choice, however, it comes in a much larger housing which makes it a bit trickier to fit. The 7675 gets the job done. Tons of guys going 8s with it, I believe a few my have touched the 7s as well on a 7675. I went mid 9s on pump gas @ 3650# race weight on my only time out with the setup and confident I could have went 8s with it turned up a little and some fine tuning.

Is the 7675 the best for power output in a 76mm size? No, the Borg is a better option and would be my choice as well. I will agree with you on that. But depending on what options you get with the Borg, it can get up there in cost as well. They both have their pros and cons. My 7675 was less money then the S476/S480 I am currently looking at buying at the moment.

I replaced my T-netics with a 7675 CEA on my hellion kit because it fit. If I had to do it again I would have gone S476r and moved the rad in. The 7675 killed itself twice within 6 months of USE and overall it took 5 months of downtime to get it fixed between both issues. First, I was told no oil jets can be put in feed line or they will void my warranty. It blew the seals by pushing oil. After repair (the guy fixing it who called me was awesome, the other customer service was god awful and rude and basically told me it was race season and they'd get to mine when they were done with the cars that had to have theirs back) the guy told me to use a jet kit and jet it down some. I told him even with that size jet it is pushing more oil than he suggested, he said that's ok it's a journal bearing turbo it won't have issues. It killed the seals again, this time when I sent it in they denied my warranty because it "starved the turbo for oil" because of my jetting, even though it was still pushing oil. I argued, it was repaired and sent back. I sold it instantly and decided to build a twin kit.

The car made great power and the turbo performed well. Their customer service and lack of knowledge of their own products turned me off from the company. I much prefer the BW's and they perform even better at less cost but you are correct they are larger.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I had a fox with single turbo and a 5 speed it was a 331 stroker, the car on 9 lbs of boost made 597 horse at the tires. I thought with all the hype I would try a turbo car after running nitrous on 13 cars and superchargers on 5 cars. The car was fun on the street but I hated it at the track I hated not being in boost off the line. All my other cars as soon as you came off the line you were in the power. So I sold the car along with my fox with a kenne bell and bought the cobra. I will build another fox and try turbos again but it will be an auto car just because its going to be a track car 90 percent of the time. That's just my 2 cents if your going to run on the street most of the time the turbo was fun with a stick at the track I wanted to set the car on fire.

You are aware that you can build boost of the line easily even in a stick car right?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys! The reasoning for the precision is one I can get one for a very very good price from my work, and two the size. So much simpler to fit than a borg.

I go to the track 2-3 times a year, this is not a track car. I want something that's fun on the street first and foremost if it runs similar et's as now but more trap I'd be content with that. Maybe I'm just getting bored with the current setup and I like the "build" aspect of cars.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
All I have to say is I regretted nothing going auto. To me it just made the car way more fun to drive on the street.

diddystyle

Established Member
So you have a low 10s supercharged car and want to go turbo and would be happy if it stays a low 10s car?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

ctgreddy

Established Member
So you have a low 10s supercharged car and want to go turbo and would be happy if it stays a low 10s car?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty much lol. Obviously faster would be better but it's the other benefits I'd be after, like ease on the engine, more mph, lower and more consistent iat's, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread