any put the new trickflow heads on their L?

sams99lightning

BOOSTED!!!
Established Member
hey guys have any of you pu the new trickflow twisted wedge heads on your lightning? im very interested in them since i have the 99 heads that blow out spark plugs. i called livernois in dearborn heights MI and they are saying 35 hours labor and that you have to remove the whole cab to get the cylinder heads off is this true?. any info will be greatly appreciated!

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
they say u have to remove the whole cab to get the heads of hahaha thats crazy...im waiting on my block to come in and im putting the new tf heads on mine and the place doing the work psi motorsports should be tuning a truck with the new heads any day now

sams99lightning

BOOSTED!!!
Established Member
thats what i said. i think they r just trying to scam me when i look at my motor it dont look as if all that is needed to get them off. they quoted me 3600 in labor with out part and no tune. i started laughing and hung up, screw that place.

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
they say u have to remove the whole cab to get the heads of hahaha thats crazy...im waiting on my block to come in and im putting the new tf heads on mine and the place doing the work psi motorsports should be tuning a truck with the new heads any day now

So its immpossbile to change heads on our truck in the engine bay????

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
thats what i said. i think they r just trying to scam me when i look at my motor it dont look as if all that is needed to get them off. they quoted me 3600 in labor with out part and no tune. i started laughing and hung up, screw that place.

yeah i think they r.... you could take the whole engine out if you wanted to with out taking the cab off

Silviebolt dont quite understand your ?

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I helped pull a motor about a week ago that had the TF heads on it.

Originally the truck was only back in the shop because the valve cover was leaking and needed to be re-sealed. When we pulled the valve covers we noticed that some of the spring retainers were making contact with the rockers (GG TFS specs, they don't add up!). So rather than fighting the engine bay to pull every rocker out we just yanked the motor and did things the right way.

By the next day the truck was back on the road, new gaskets and all. Rockers were lightly shaved (hardly noticeable, but enough that they didn't make contact anymore) where they were making contact.

If I had to put a number on it, it probably took 12 hours between 3 people (12 total, not 12 each) to do everything, and we were actually kinda slow about it.

36 hours and pulling the cab is a crock of shit. I mean... you can do it that way... but WHY?

ez112

Established Member
It's totally possible to do heads while in the cab. My heads were redone that way.

It's only if you want head studs that you will have to pull. And if you're gonna put Trick Flows on, you'd probably be better off putting the studs on over the bolts.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
It's only if you want head studs that you will have to pull.

Wrong. I put switched heads in my truck no problem AND used headstuds on the switch. You line up the heads when putting the new ones in and the coolants holes will keep the heads from going anywhere while you put the studs in.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
im waiting on JJ's ported trickflow results. Then i will be ready to switch over.

Fade on removing the heads, could you loosen the 6 cab bolts and raise it 3-4 inches to make it easier?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'm sure you could. I ended up pulling the SB anyways and then putting the entire reassembled engine back in the last time. Whenever the next heads/cam swap happens I'll yank the whole setup again even thought it's a PITA.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I'm putting a new engine in mine as we speak at our shop... I yanked the whole motor.... easy as pie after the blower/manifold is off. Just pull out the tranny, and remove the flexplate.... done.

The 44cc TF heads are going on mine with a 3.4 whipple,....custom cams, the whole 9 yards. I'll post up once its done.

Users who are viewing this thread