any plumbers in here? copper fitting removal question

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
any ideas on best way to remove this shower valve? soaked it with pb blaster and used a pipe wrench with a 3 foot extention, will not budge.

also tried heating it up with a blowtorch, still wouldn't budge. i didn't want to get too crazy with the heat though, since the diverter body is plastic.

my next step will be to start hacking away at it with a dremel tool (?)

old house, this valve has probably been on there for like 30 years.

thanks

DSCN2420.JPG

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Need to remove the cartridge stem I think. Then it should come off. What brand is it?

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm not licensed plumber, but have done tons of plumbing work over the years. It looks like you have enough room to use some big water pump pliers to hold the bronze pipe sticking out while you attempt to loosen the fitting, so that should allow you to use some extra torque.

If extra torque didn't do it, then I'd apply some fast, serious heat, with a oxy/acet torch and a small tip, so that I could focus the heat right on the metal fitting and quickly heat it up, then loosen. Handheld propane torches are pretty much worthless IMHO. Although MAPP gas torch might do the trick.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Need to remove the cartridge stem I think. Then it should come off. What brand is it?

oh, all the vids i've watched show that the silver piece is what is holding the cartridge in place. (?)

but ok i will give that a try, thx

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm not licensed plumber, but have done tons of plumbing work over the years. It looks like you have enough room to use some big water pump pliers to hold the bronze pipe sticking out while you attempt to loosen the fitting, so that should allow you to use some extra torque.

If extra torque didn't do it, then I'd apply some fast, serious heat, with a oxy/acet torch and a small tip, so that I could focus the heat right on the metal fitting and quickly heat it up, then loosen. Handheld propane torches are pretty much worthless IMHO. Although MAPP gas torch might do the trick.

sounds good, thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I would use two big ol pipe wrenches. One on the copper pipe coming in and one on the fitting. The one on the copper pipe so you dont snap it of trying to get the fitting off. Don't ask how I know.

See that's what I'm afraid of. I was putting so much pressure on it i could see the copper pipe wanting to twist inside the wall. I would hate to have to open up this wall.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
First off use a pipe wrench on the chrome piece, when you use pliers to squish the fitting down onto the thing your trying to remove it from, if it doesn’t work you can split the outer nut by hacksawing it at an angle across the top but don’t go into the thread it’s cheap brass and will easily split

I’m a plumbing contractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
First off use a pipe wrench on the chrome piece, when you use pliers to squish the fitting down onto the thing your trying to remove it from, if it doesn’t work you can split the outer nut by hacksawing it at an angle across the top but don’t go into the thread it’s cheap brass and will easily split

I’m a plumbing contractor

Thanks. Fortunately I can really take my time working on this, so I am going to start cutting into it like you say, and will go super slow being extra careful not to nick the brass piece.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It looks like you just need a bigger wrench..LOL
Put a wrench on the neck of the copper pipe to hold it from moving any of the guts behind it and heave like your life depends on it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Did the other one come apart

this is the only one in there. it's just this single valve for on/off, hot/cold. it's a shower stall only, no tub.

It looks like you just need a bigger wrench..LOL
Put a wrench on the neck of the copper pipe to hold it from moving any of the guts behind it and heave like your life depends on it.

Yup that's the one. I peeled off the thin metal shell that goes into the wall area. All the YouTube vids i watched has this nut coming off with a small crescent wrench and one finger, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread