Any other model building nerds out there?

MG01GT

Established Member
So I have been building model aircraft since I was young. I took the leap back into it a couple years ago, and got an airbrush and what have you. I'm currently building a CH-46 for a friend if mine who worked on them and retired from the Corps about the same time I did. Some people like the uber clean satire look of aircraft.. I tend to go for the weathered and used look. Figured I'd share.... post em up if you got them... if not flame away lol
418edbc7d72f74e8c1570634843a7b00.jpg
ac29a0a40261733edbcb2d74ae91dbb0.jpg
adb40ac3ec2664db65c86bdf01ffbb43.jpg
a44692b2a0accd3592288f27ee9c232a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

c5longhorn

Established Member
Very nice. My son is doing his first one, a C7.R. Do you have any recommendations on model maker brands to buy for cars and planes?

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I used to be when I was younger. I was thinking about it again when I was in "lock down"

patc84

Established Member
i used to back in the day. I collect diecast now, and as far as building goes.

Lego technics- have a pretty nice collections- porsche x 3 , ferrari x 2, bugatti chiron, mclaren p1, 1989 batmobile, hoonicorn mustang- about to finish the charger. the lambo is released begin of june, and the ducati comes out in aug.

MG01GT

Established Member
Very nice. My son is doing his first one, a C7.R. Do you have any recommendations on model maker brands to buy for cars and planes?

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Tamiya makes super nice kits for both cars and aircraft. For aircraft alone I would recommend Tamiya, Academy, and Hobby Boss. Fit and finish on them are usually top notch. Hobby Boss is more on the expensive side because of how many parts they come with, the use of rubber and photo etched parts and really decent decals.

Look forward to seeing the finished results for your sons build! I feel it's a good hobby for young kids!

Last edited:

MG01GT

Established Member
i used to back in the day. I collect diecast now, and as far as building goes.

Lego technics- have a pretty nice collections- porsche x 3 , ferrari x 2, bugatti chiron, mclaren p1, 1989 batmobile, hoonicorn mustang- about to finish the charger. the lambo is released begin of june, and the ducati comes out in aug.
I love lego technics!!! I wish had more space for them. I built the Porsche one when it came out and that was nice little challenge.

patc84

Established Member
I love lego technics!!! I wish had more space for them. I built the Porsche one when it came out and that was nice little challenge.

i keep the majority of mine at work (great ice breakers), but looking to build something to display them at home.

the porsche was the first one i built, challenging yes and fun. Cool thing is, how you build the model, is how the car is actually assembled.

prs97

Established Member
Very cool.

I'm getting bored so I'm doing a Porsche 959 at the moment.

MG01GT

Established Member
i keep the majority of mine at work (great ice breakers), but looking to build something to display them at home.

the porsche was the first one i built, challenging yes and fun. Cool thing is, how you build the model, is how the car is actually assembled.
I didnt know that!! That's a pretty awesome fact. I wont buy my son any other legos besides technics now days because he needs the challenge. I bought him the limited edition Lunar Lander and Saturn V rocket thinking it would take him a while..... wrong, just wrong!

MG01GT

Established Member
So I made a bit of a boo boo... had a little too much thinner on my brush as i was trying to apply streaking. However I can use this to my advantage and make it work with some shading and weathering.
0702acccb9b18975823c97218683c1bd.jpg

patc84

Established Member
I didnt know that!! That's a pretty awesome fact. I wont buy my son any other legos besides technics now days because he needs the challenge. I bought him the limited edition Lunar Lander and Saturn V rocket thinking it would take him a while..... wrong, just wrong!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yup, really cool. so that was a perk of building it. The bugatti Chiron is the same way.

if the legos are cars, or the space stuff. def. The 1989 batmobile is lego, its huge. 3300 pcs and 1/8 scale.

LOL- porsche took me 24 hrs over 5 days.

MineralGray03

Established Member
That's very nice work and detail is excellent. I always wanted to try the airbrush technique just never got the nerve to. I'm currently working on a notch for my brother in law to mimic his car. Stated detailing engine.....mocking up interior. Next I have to set ride height before buttoning up suspension. Bought some draglites for it lol and an msd box. It's crazy some of the stuff you can outsource today for these models.
20200523_144814.jpeg
20200523_144827.jpeg
20200523_144934.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG01GT

Established Member
That's very nice work and detail is excellent. I always wanted to try the airbrush technique just never got the nerve to. I'm currently working on a notch for my brother in law to mimic his car. Stated detailing engine.....mocking up interior. Next I have to set ride height before buttoning up suspension. Bought some draglites for it lol and an msd box. It's crazy some of the stuff you can outsource today for these models.View attachment 1642261View attachment 1642262View attachment 1642263

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Dude I love the detail you putting into the engine. It really is amazing the amount of things you can do to build detail with some imagination! I would totally suggest getting an airbrush. I'm using an Iwata Neo that is really an amazing little rig for under 100 bucks. I bought my air brush hose at harbor frieght and have it tied to a husky air scout compressor. It's a decent set up that wont break the bank and will take you to the next level. Disregard all the clutter we got going on in the garage.... my wife over ran my garage lol
64566afe6df324bcf9406766ce3cf0d7.jpg
e4439985f66ba93e6ee69f57d3821424.jpg

c5longhorn

Established Member
Tamiya makes super nice kits for both cars and aircraft. For aircraft alone I would recommend Tamiya, Academy, and Hobby Boss. Fit and finish on them are usually top notch. Hobby Boss is more on the expensive side because of how many parts they come with, the use of rubber and photo etched parts and really decent decals.

Look forward to seeing the finished results for your sons build! I feel it's a good hobby for young kids!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm probably going to pick up another one for him and one for myself.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread