Any other L.E.O.s slated for layoff?

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
My department has slated me for layoff as of August 1, unless things change. I was wondering how everyone else's department is doing, and if you are getting laid off?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Its beyond a shame when public safety[police,fire,ems] get laid off.For the most part, I think most depts, are just freezing the raises,as in ours.Best of luck,have you thought about applying at other agencies?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
No layoffs on the Federal side, but I have a bunch of friends who are local L.E.O.s and some of their departments are laying off. Seniority has its privileges. One big problem is that the economy is keeping a bunch of senior L.E.O.s from retiring and thus attrition is low. So, hired last is first first.

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry to hear that Scout238............ I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Hopefully, something will change before Aug.1

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Its beyond a shame when public safety[police,fire,ems] get laid off.For the most part, I think most depts, are just freezing the raises,as in ours.Best of luck,have you thought about applying at other agencies?

I agree, sad thing to see. I have applied for other agencies, but currently there are no shortage of lateral applicants. One local agency received 150 applications in one day. Thanks for the support!

No layoffs on the Federal side, but I have a bunch of friends who are local L.E.O.s and some of their departments are laying off. Seniority has its privileges. One big problem is that the economy is keeping a bunch of senior L.E.O.s from retiring and thus attrition is low. So, hired last is first first.

I agree, but I got in when I did and I can't change my seniority. At this point, with my department, it doesn't even look like 4 years on will save you. Best of luck to your friends

I'm glad to hear Federal is doing good, and other departments are surviving. Best of luck to you guys, just wondering how it looked out there.

Stay safe

rubber duck

Established Member
We just had big budget cuts announced today. Overtime is going to be taking a hit but no layoffs for full time employees. Thankfully I have enough seniority to avoid layoffs if they should happen, which sounds like they might if things don't get better. I feel for ya, good luck and +1 on going federal. I'm definitely thinking of going that route if things get worse.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
Thanks. I have checked them out before, and it's on the table. Although, I didn't find anything that really peaked my interest at the moment. Once I'm out of a job, I'm sure I will be a lot less picky.

Good luck . Hopefully thing will get better so you don’t get laid off. I heard the local agency was cutting cost too. But I was told they are still hiring just cutting back on the little things.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
My Dept has sent out pink slips to seven of our guys. They are saying that it could go up to about twenty of us. I hope for sure it don't get that far. Public safety is apparently not too important to our Twp administrator.

SlowMN03

I was hired for a dept with an academy starting last January. About 3 weeks before start of the academy (after my replacement had been hired), they contacted all of us and said "hope you can still keep your current job". They'd canceled the academy. Apparently adding a 7th ice-rink to the city was a better use of budget funds. :nonono: Spent 4 months on unemployment, then went back to an old career (was willing to take anything that paid decent at that point).

I've spent about 4 years (between the school requirements in this state, applying, and waiting thinking I had a promotional job) working on this career change. Think this was it for me... need to move on and find a career with a little more stability now that I have a family.

Best of luck to those in the career field... and know you've got at least one civilian out there watching his mirrors to make sure you're code 4 when passing by a traffic stop.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Heh, thanks for the posts. It seems like the politicians don't have their minds straight. Best of luck to ya guys. Hoping to keep my job, as a love my department.

mustangsf4life

Black Venom
Established Member
I hit my two year mark next week and all deputy's are keeping their jobs. We limited hiring to about 40 a year and we voted to give up a 12% raise over the next 2 years so the newest 100 deps could keep their jobs. We have no promotions and they are not filling the positions of those who are retiring. They are just leaving their spots vacant. We are running the jail staff short and the patrol staff even shorter. Lucky me i have almost 150 below me but i dont want to see anyone lose their jobs. We need plenty of law enforceent as crime is going up in these bad economic times. I wish you all that are in a pinch the best of luck.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
I would hope they wouldnt lay us off since we have 20 deputys, ten per shift, for the 3rd largest county in AL. If im not mistaken its the same number of deputys we had in the 70's.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
We really do but we wont get anymore. Especiall consdering that after midnight on our shift we have 1 car/2 man unit for the ENTIRE county til 7am.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
do yall have a city PD to help yall out? hell we are graduating 16 here at the MPA. i found out today im going to 3rd shift southside

Users who are viewing this thread