Any newer 911 owners here (997)

TaraFirma

Established Member
I've loved the porsche 911 since i was a little kid. I may have the chance to get one sometime in the near future. I'm just looking for any SVTP folks that own or have owned a newer one to see what they think of them. I would have to sell/trade my 2010 GT500 to get it, but after driving one yesterday (2011 carrera S), I think it may very well be worth it.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Buy an extended warranty! My dad had an 03 996 or 997 cant remember which. They are expensive to fix.

kaz109

Established Member
Buy an extended warranty! My dad had an 03 996 or 997 cant remember which. They are expensive to fix.

An 03 is a 996 .....and yes they are 100k cars new so parts will be more than a 30k mustang to fix.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
OP I would also look into a 996 turbo...great looking and power to match. I am not a owner but love p cars and I am very familiar with them as far as seat time goes. Are u looking to get a turbo or C2?

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I own a 964 (C2) currently and I have an 04 Cobra. I also have been in many 993's and 996's... Very incredible cars to own and the quality it superb... If and when the time comes for repair it "may " be a bit expensive. Well modding Cobra's and GT 500's aren't cheep eighter.. A warrantee is nice and find a cost effective and reputable shop for repairs and performance...There are plenty around as Porsche's are becoming more and more popular.. I have 4 reputable shops with excellent credentials just alone in my area.

Join the PCA and you will be in with the local Porsche community and they have tons of listings for reputable repair when needed.

I see that you own a GT 500 which is more of a muscle car with tons of torque where the Carrera's don't have as much but are fast in a different way....I was fortunate to keep both as my Carrera is fast for its timeframe but if I want brute force my Cobra outshines my Carrera trifold....

Getting the Carrera will be an improvement but it is a different animal...Hopefully you will appreciate the characteristic's it will provide...If you are looking to mod the car then mods will be expensive and there are not as many options for the non turbo Carrera's.

The Porsche will be an improvement I feel but your GT500 shines in other ways as well..

Basically:

Porsche: elegance, refinement, handling, fast, quality
GT500: fast, torque, muscular, aggressive

Hope this helps.

mr-proper

Established Member
DO IT:rockon:
my little bro, owns a 2008 carrera s in germany. he loves it.
he uses the autobahn quiet often for 180+mph runs and the car pulls hard.
it turned him into a porsche fan.you cant compare it to a muscle car.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
2009 997.2 C4S here. The perfect all around car. 80% track toy, 20% driven on nice days/out to dinner or trips. Unbelievable machine all around, it is truly a bench marking car.

Users who are viewing this thread