Any interest in a Group Buy on a Killer Chiller?

Buster

Established Member
Have any results yet, Buster?

I should have some test results weekend. We did a tranny swap and the killer chiller at the same time. The converter that showed up last week was a bit too short. We ditched the c4 and went with an ATI power glide and PTC converter. Im planning on racing at the track saturday, so I should have some street data friday and full 1/4 mile passes on saturday.

Doug1227

Established Member
It'll be cooling off by then! LOL! That was my motivation, to take advantage of it while the weather was hot!

Doug1227

Established Member
Per Joe's recommendations, I adjusted my expansion block and dropped fluid temps another 5 degrees!

[youtube_browser]EjEHT7Z7d_Q[/youtube_browser]

Willie

Established Member
Per Joe's recommendations, I adjusted my expansion block and dropped fluid temps another 5 degrees!

He told me to turn mine two full turns counter-clockwise. Did you turn yours this way?

I've been reading the directions and can't figure something out. The large "T" is supposed to be installed between the accumulator and the 5/8" hose coming out of the firewall. Well my accumulator is on the driver's side firewall. I don't see any conceivable way to get to this hose, much less see it... Doug, where did you install this tee?

Willie

Doug1227

Established Member
Mine was 1-1/2 turns counter clockwise, but may be different than yours. My car is a 2012 GT and I believe yours is a GT500 right? I'm guessing our a/c systems are different from one another. Have you looked at the word doc I uploaded to the box.net site? I posted the link just below the first batch of photos I uploaded. You'll be able to see what mine looks like in that document. The only other advice I could give you is to look through the other pics or give Joe a call to clarify.

Willie

Established Member
I looked at your pics but can't tell where the tees are located. Where is your accumulator? Mine is on the driver's side. That means one of my new lines must be routed along the driver's side, somehow crossing over to the passenger side, then thru the radiator core support (don't have a hole like you do), then to the KC. I have no idea if I have enough hose to do this. UNLESS this line cross over to the passenger side behind the motor and enters the firewall near the second line (the one on the passenger side).

I understand how the remaining line on the passenger side is modified. Yes, a 2008 GT500.

Willie

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
No worries. I did talk to Joe and he sent me an illustration and a pic. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so I asked this question on the GT500 forum. Hopefully someONE can reply on how they did it.

Willie

ebrow21

Established Member
Well, its installed. Pulling a vacuum on it now, so have a little time to post..

Mounting the KC unit presents a small challenge with the whipple, as the IC pump has a seperate bracket behind the bumper support. Install hasn't been bad so far, but I am going to have to reinforce a few areas to ensure they do not rub through the refrigerant hoses.

Crossing my fingers for no leaks, or issues. I'll post again after completion.

Oh, and my instructions for the expansion said two full turns. Maybe he updated them.

Doug1227

Established Member
Sweet! Glad to see some more of you guys getting yours done! Refresh my memory...is yours a Coyote kit? There are a few GT500's on this deal, so getting some more Coyote input is important to me, since that's what I have.

ebrow21

Established Member
Sweet! Glad to see some more of you guys getting yours done! Refresh my memory...is yours a Coyote kit? There are a few GT500's on this deal, so getting some more Coyote input is important to me, since that's what I have.

Coyote. Took about 29oz of freon to stabilize at 205psi high side at idle (95 degrees in shop) and 250-300psi at 3500rpm sitting still. Haven't taken any temp readings yet, that fitting on my meter is at my box at my house.

Good thing I have a full shop btw. (I run a large bus fleet maint. dept), I had a few leaks. Not from any of the fabricated clamp joints, but the fittings on the KC itself. I was reluctant to tighten them hard for fear of stripping them prior to install. I put a sniffer on all the hoses after taking the gauges off, and the condensation on the KC was bubbling very slightly on each of them (at all 4 joints).

Tightened a bit, cleaned, checked with soap and no bubbles as yet. Letting it sit a bit before I using the sniffer again. I would rather not have to do this job twice.

Last edited:

2003_lightning

Established Member
Those of u that are on the fence about it defiantly need to grab one. I run it on my lightning and if I ever do a water intercooler setup on the stang ill get one for that

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Just curious, has anyone ever taken a water temp on the outlet of the intercooler?

Both without the KC and if joe has one with the KC.

I'm just curious as to DT in the inlet and outlet to see how much rise the air causes before the water goes back to the tank.

I fool with heat exchangers on a large scale for a living. lol

I dealt with one that flowed 50,000 GPM

Doug1227

Established Member
My reservoir is on the outlet side of the intercooler. Before the KC, I was seeing fluid temps around 125* and IAT temps around 140-150*. With the KC, I'm seeing fluid temps around 60-65* and IAT temps around 7-10 above ambient. The other day on a 98 degree day, after a drive home in city traffic for 20 minutes, I was seeing 105* IAT's. Keep in mind, those water temps are AFTER the intercooler, so the fluid temps would be even cooler before going through. I don't have any data on the inlet fluid temps as there's no real good way for me to take that reading.

Just curious, has anyone ever taken a water temp on the outlet of the intercooler?

Both without the KC and if joe has one with the KC.

I'm just curious as to DT in the inlet and outlet to see how much rise the air causes before the water goes back to the tank.

I fool with heat exchangers on a large scale for a living. lol

I dealt with one that flowed 50,000 GPM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread