Any disadvantage to deleting PCV?

SVT Pille

Established Member
Yo guys. For those of you who have deleted your pcv system (breather where the pcv valve is and on passenger valve cover, plugged T fitting on the back of the Eaton) have you noticed or know of anything negative resulting? Check engine lights, change in engine temp, etc.

Pretty much decided today I'm going to junk the system entirely instead of running catch cans because it seems to be the most effective way of reducing blow by in the intake. I know I'll probably get some oil on the valve covers but thats expected. Theres people who've deleted their EGR and the car actually ran hotter than before so I wanted to make sure that isn't the case with the PCV.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you have a hurt motor or are running close to 20 pounds of boost a breather system may be warranted.

However not without a catch tank and remote breather set up, OR YOU WILL HAVE A FREAKING MESS of oil every where!

Take a look at the Cobra Jet turn key race cars Ford is selling and look at the breather set up on them, it is ideal.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
hhmm let's see? what ventilates crankcase pressure more efficiently a tiny pcv valve clogged with oil that's constantly misting vapor into the intake track OR dual 3/4" Breathers? And I have ZERO leakage onto the valve covers!

Last edited:

SVT Pille

Established Member
If you have a hurt motor or are running close to 20 pounds of boost a breather system may be warranted.

However not without a catch tank and remote breather set up, OR YOU WILL HAVE A FREAKING MESS of oil every where!

Take a look ate the cobra jet turn key race cars Ford is selling and look at the breather set up on them, it is ideal.

Jimmy do you have a pic of that setup? I googled engine shots of those cars and all I can see is a breather on the passenger side valve cover right next to the oil fill cap. if the PCV valve is on the same spot as our cars its being blocked by the elbow of the Whipple and I can't see what it looks like.

What if I plugged up the pcv entirely and ran breathers up front where the oil cap is and then on the passenger side too?

Edit: Found a pic. Jimmy this is the setup I was talking about running, breather next to the intake and replacing the PCV.

2012-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-Jet-engine.gif

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy do you have a pic of that setup? I googled engine shots of those cars and all I can see is a breather on the passenger side valve cover right next to the oil fill cap. if the PCV valve is on the same spot as our cars its being blocked by the elbow of the Whipple and I can't see what it looks like.

What if I plugged up the pcv entirely and ran breathers up front where the oil cap is and then on the passenger side too?

Edit: Found a pic. Jimmy this is the setup I was talking about running, breather next to the intake and replacing the PCV.

2012-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-Jet-engine.gif

They don't have a PCV valve they run an elbow and hose from each valve cover to a common oil catch tank(in this pic at the back of the engine). It may or may not have a drain back feature.

The tank has a filtered vent to release crank case pressure, after the majority of the oil mist has condensed out of vapor form and collects in the bottom of the tank allowing mostly vapor to push through the filtered vent on the tank.

2013_ford_mustang_eng_ns_120711_717.jpg

SVT Pille

Established Member
They don't have a PCV valve they run an elbow and hose from each valve cover to a common oil catch tank(in this pic at the back of the engine). It may or may not have a drain back feature.

The tank has a filtered vent to release crank case pressure, after the majority of the oil mist has condensed out of vapor form and collects in the bottom of the tank allowing mostly vapor to push through the filtered vent on the tank.

I see what you're talking about. So my best option would be running both sides into a vented catch can like the one Moroso makes.

Now if I did run 2 breathers like in the pic that I posted of the supercharged car, how much oil Spillage am I looking at? And will either of those 2 setups cause my car to run in a way I wouldn't want or throw a check engine light?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I see what you're talking about. So my best option would be running both sides into a vented catch can like the one Moroso makes.

Now if I did run 2 breathers like in the pic that I posted of the supercharged car, how much oil Spillage am I looking at? And will either of those 2 setups cause my car to run in a way I wouldn't want or throw a check engine light?

No issue running.

Depending on the amount of blowby(all engines have some) you may have an oil mess on each valve cover.

I am not a fan of vents on valve covers without a catch can of some kind.

SVT Pille

Established Member
No issue running.

Depending on the amount of blowby(all engines have some) you may have an oil mess on each valve cover.

I am not a fan of vents on valve covers without a catch can of some kind.

Got it. So something like this would be ideal? Sorry if I'm getting annoying I just want to make sure I have everything figured out right. The Moroso cans only have one inlet fitting so would having the lines meet in a Y configuration or a T like above should work well then right?

1000625.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wasn't it determined that breathers will contaminate the oil faster? Does the vented catch can eliminate this?

101blur

Established Member
I run a breather on my JLT for over 5 month daily driven never had issues or any oil on my engine just saying

SVT Pille

Established Member
Wasn't it determined that breathers will contaminate the oil faster? Does the vented catch can eliminate this?

Seems like it would eliminate that problem because it's remotely mounted so theres no contaminants coming near the crankcase. Also it has two lines feeding it that blow air/oil away from the engine so I think it would be harder for particles to get back into the motor.

I run a breather on my JLT for over 5 month daily driven never had issues or any oil on my engine just saying

The passenger side breathers don't leak too bad from what I've read, it's the PCV side that does. I'm assuming you're only venting on one side?

101blur

Established Member
Seems like it would eliminate that problem because it's remotely mounted so theres no contaminants coming near the crankcase. Also it has two lines feeding it that blow air/oil away from the engine so I think it would be harder for particles to get back into the motor.

The passenger side breathers don't leak too bad from what I've read, it's the PCV side that does. I'm assuming you're only venting on one side?

yes only vents on one side I want to vent the other side soon

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
are you saying not to vent one side Like i have now or both sides or not at all..?

It's all or nothing. Venting one side allows unmetered air into the combustion cycle. Venting both sides is fine, assuming you plug the PCV port on the back side of the blower and plug the PCV port on the bottom of the lower manifold.

SVT Pille

Established Member
It's all or nothing. Venting one side allows unmetered air into the combustion cycle. Venting both sides is fine, assuming you plug the PCV port on the back side of the blower and plug the PCV port on the bottom of the lower manifold.

Which plug on the lower manifold are yout talking about? I know you cap off the T fitting that the PCV hose goes to but what about this other plug.

Users who are viewing this thread