Any contractors here? Garage Ceiling question.

Black2010

Established Member
That lvl has a flooring load and to partial roof loads. That's not a good sign.

Yes, their is just one 2x4 under the beam which is nailed to another 2x4 that goes up to the roof. I have some other pics that I was able to look at. Their are still braces everywhere so maybe they aren't finished yet? Not my house so I wont question it but will keep an eye on that when they go to framing mine. Wish I knew more about this type of stuff so I could keep a better eye on things.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
A structural engineer should only need a couple of hours to review the design and tell you what is needed to make sure you don't weaken the roof and wall by removing ceiling joists. A few hundred bucks is all it should cost.

You can get a good idea of what's involved from some videos off this guy's YouTube channel

gregvancom

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Yes, their is just one 2x4 under the beam which is nailed to another 2x4 that goes up to the roof. I have some other pics that I was able to look at. Their are still braces everywhere so maybe they aren't finished yet? Not my house so I wont question it but will keep an eye on that when they go to framing mine. Wish I knew more about this type of stuff so I could keep a better eye on things.

When I was in my early 20's I took a job with a framing company, at the time I thought it sucked but the experience has followed me all the way into my mid 40's. I had my house built 12 years ago and was on the jobsite every day checking things out, those guys hated seeing me lol.

TaraFirma

Established Member
I’d tell them never mind. We went through this with our last builder. There are so many custom home builders in the RR north Austin area, you should find one that will build what you WANT.

Users who are viewing this thread