any cons to running e85

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The only "con" I've seen is the mileage drop off from around 16 to 10.5 to 11 mpg. This makes fuel stops more frequent. I always fill up now as apposed to dropping in say $20 here and there. IMHO the pros FAR outweigh the cons though. I'm a big fan of the CORN!

Ray H.

Spade

Established Member
Ray Hilton, the major drop in MPG is that mostly due to a heavier foot? The reason I ask is because I thought most see a 1.5-2% drop.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would run 2 tunes one for E85 an other pump 91/93 so you could switch when ever

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
I would run 2 tunes one for E85 an other pump 91/93 so you could switch when ever

how does this work with having leftover fuel in the lines or injectors from the opposite fuel, with a new tune? i guess what im saying is if you go running E85, then switch to 93....will there not be some mix? can that be dangerous at all? thats the question i thought of when going through the cons list ( be it rather small). I am in the same boat, i will be switching this spring after my motor is done.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
how does this work with having leftover fuel in the lines or injectors from the opposite fuel, with a new tune? i guess what im saying is if you go running E85, then switch to 93....will there not be some mix? can that be dangerous at all? thats the question i thought of when going through the cons list ( be it rather small). I am in the same boat, i will be switching this spring after my motor is done.

From my understanding, you wouldn't run into any problems going from your E85 tune to your... lets say 93 octane. The major difference betweeen the two fuels are their octane rating. Going from a higher to a lower won't do any damage because your tune for 93 will have less timing, so if you were under WOT you would still be covered by the higher octane of the E. It would be no different than putting Torco in your tank even if you're not tuned for it. Its just upping the octane and if your tune doesn't call for such a high octane, you will just be wasting it. Now switching from the 93 tune to the E tune is something different. You'll be looking for the necessary octane to safely run that timing and the 93 left in the lines will not be able to produce. I would take it easy for a while after switching back to the E after 93 to make sure its out, depending on how much 93 you have left in your tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
From my understanding, you wouldn't run into any problems going from your E85 tune to your... lets say 93 octane. The major difference betweeen the two fuels are their octane rating. Going from a higher to a lower won't do any damage because your tune for 93 will have less timing, so if you were under WOT you would still be covered by the higher octane of the E. It would be no different than putting Torco in your tank even if you're not tuned for it. Its just upping the octane and if your tune doesn't call for such a high octane, you will just be wasting it. Now switching from the 93 tune to the E tune is something different. You'll be looking for the necessary octane to safely run that timing and the 93 left in the lines will not be able to produce. I would take it easy for a while after switching back to the E after 93 to make sure its out, depending on how much 93 you have left in your tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are partially correct.

E85 actually sustains the same Octane all the way down to E50. So no worries there.

The only thing you may encounter is a slight change in A/F, but E85 has a much wider "Sweet Spot" for A/F so not too much worry there either.

Ethanol mixes Perfect with Gasoline so no worries about mixing the two.

Funny, Mid Range Ethanol blends (Like E20-E30) are actually getting better fuel economy than 100% unleaded gasoline. :read:
New Study Supports Mid Range Ethanol Blends - Domestic Fuel

Last edited:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
^^^ Thats why I said depending on how much he is mixing. I didn't want to get into ratio's and such, but you covered that as well. So its still awesome even if mixed with a half tank of unleaded.
:beer:

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
^^^ Thats why I said depending on how much he is mixing. I didn't want to get into ratio's and such, but you covered that as well. So its still awesome even if mixed with a half tank of unleaded.

:beer:
For sure! One can not look into just Octane Rating anyway. The cooling effects of Ethanol (Especially on a boosted car) make it act like a much higher Octane fuel.

It's all good. :beer:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
This stuff is amazing. I cant wait til I'm done. I just wish there was more than one pump near me, but I'm still converting.

Users who are viewing this thread