any cons to running e85

lvgolfer962

Established Member
ive been doing some reading and im almost convinced that i need to switch over when i install my new engine and twinscrew. e85 is all over here in las vegas so getting it is not an issue and the consumption inst a big deal.

just wanting to know any problems or issues that running e85 can do to a boosted engine that going to get beat on hard ;-).

and any parts that i should be looking at to make the swap

thanks
d

oldmodman

Established Member
Yeah.
Wanting to go on vacation with your car to a state that only has 91 octane. And no E-85 for hundreds of miles.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Seven E85 gas Stations in the S.F. Ghey area.
I'm not so sure E85 is good for anything except for the racetrack. Depending on motor and application you get about 1/2 the millage as a 9x octane powered engine.

Please send corn and lots of it..:beer:
Jeff

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Seven E85 gas Stations in the S.F. Ghey area.
I'm not so sure E85 is good for anything except for the racetrack. Depending on motor and application you get about 1/2 the millage as a 9x octane powered engine.

Please send corn and lots of it..:beer:
Jeff

half? i didnt think it was that low....

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
It's not. It will get between 10-15% less fuel economy.

I can tell you that from personal experience.

man every one is different. i dont think half is normal but maybe not too far off. i went from 14mpg city to 8mpg city. i do get a hybrid like 13mpg highway now though:D

if you are worried about fuel economy, dont do it. if you want the most out of your car ALL the time, do it!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What I would do if I were to go E85 would be run two tunes.. Pump 91/93 for DD and then E85 for a the big tune. I mean that way you still have a ton of hp on 93/91 for the most part and then switch tunes and pullies (15min) and fill up with E85.. Seems like the best of both worlds really.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
What I would do if I were to go E85 would be run two tunes.. Pump 91/93 for DD and then E85 for a the big tune. I mean that way you still have a ton of hp on 93/91 for the most part and then switch tunes and pullies (15min) and fill up with E85.. Seems like the best of both worlds really.
Good plan! A True "FlexFuel" vehicle! :thumbsup:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member

Do you really need to switch pulleys? Wouldn't an adjustable boost controller do the same thing? I don't know since I've never run boost let alone a twin screw but I figure this would be an equal solution?

lvgolfer962

Established Member

i agree ^^^

if i do go with e85 the x3 can store 3 tunes so i would go with a 91 tune, e85 street tune, and then a e85 race tune.

ive read that hoses and and aluminum are not in danger with the e85 but what about seals and gaskets(oil contamination from blow by or running to rich)

Spade

Established Member
Subn.

Is E85 lke running race fuel and can you mix it like race and pump? Im finding this interesting.

Nevermind, I just read the E85 WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW thread.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Good plan! A True "FlexFuel" vehicle! :thumbsup:

Yea I've been contemplating doing this now for a while... I don't know how many E85 stations there are in Mobile AL and I don't know of any tuners out here that can tune E85.. :beer:

Do you really need to switch pulleys? Wouldn't an adjustable boost controller do the same thing? I don't know since I've never run boost let alone a twin screw but I figure this would be an equal solution?

If I had a front mount intercooler I could run a boost controller. That's something else I'm looking at doing. Upgrade to a YSI trim with a FMIC and a boost controller. Pulley it for the moon and then just waste off the extra air for pump gas and then 25ish psi for E85:beer:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member

That doesn't exist with root based blowers. You're thinking more about turbo's. The pulley combo determines the boost level produced by blower rpms (belt driven) so once its on, thats the boost you will produce. I'm not that familiar with centrifugal blowers, as they are belt driven, but act like turbos. :shrug:

EDIT:

^^ REALLY? I didn't know that could be done. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
15min pulley swap? hell, it takes that long to drag out the air hose and the impact :)

Yea I have no clue as I don't have a TS but it seems pretty straight forward.. Atleast your pulley is facing outwards.. Us Centri guys have to remove the entire effing blower.:nonono: That's why i want to go TS or Turbo.. Soooo much easier to pulley or boost up and down..

Users who are viewing this thread