Any concrete guys around? I need some help.

csm1320

Established Member
I have a few dinner plate sized potholes starting to form in my driveway. They vary in depth from surface level to maybe an inch deep. What would be the best way to fill these in and with what? I do also have access to a concrete saw and jackhammer if its best to cut them out and fill them in with new crete.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Saw a square out around the pothole. Dig out the debris to an even depth of more than 4 inches. Pour mixed concrete into hole, skim flat till he cream floats. I'm not a mason nor did I sleep well last night, it's just how I've done it in the past.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Mr. Mach-ete has a decent approach except you'll want to find a way to bond the new concrete to the old concrete. The easiest way to do this would be to just drive a couple nails and/or anchors into the old concrete, but leave them exposed for an inch or 2, before pouring in the new concrete.

Also, it's likely that the reason you are getting the pot holes is because the driveway was poured with non air-entrained concrete, so when water freezes it has no voids to expand into and the concrete eventually fails due to that. Idk if you can buy air-entrained admixture but I've heard using a little bit of dish soap will accomplish the necessary amount of air in the mix.

Tomm580

Established Member
also try using hydraylic type concrete which expands...regular concrete mixes tend to shrink a lil when cure allowing water in

Users who are viewing this thread