Any cnc programers?

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I was just wondering if there were any cnc programmers(especially those that are more toward the cad side) on the site? The reason I am asking is I have just completed a course in cnc programing and when looking for jobs, most of the listing I find want programmers with 3+ years of experience. There are a ton of cnc operator positions available but I dont want to take one of those positions and then end up falling behind on the latest cad trends. So I guess my question is how did you get started as a programmer, did you start as an operator and move up or did you go straight into a more programing based position? Any insight will be very helpful in my new career path. As far as my qualifications, I know mastercam x4 and have spent the past year doing mostly multi axis machining(porting cylinder heads, designing and creating alot of 1 off racing related parts) and also have spent alot of time working with cmm machines doing reverse engineering.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Shangsta, not sure who it is but I'm sure we've ran into each other. What I've found out is some companies look for 'entry level' programmers. If you can find one(very rare) good luck. Other than that, some companies allow you to move up in the 'corporate ladder' as they say. As long as you know what's going on in the shop, you can possibly move up to a programmer. You might have to put some experience in first.

Believe me I know, everyone is looking for 5-10yrs experience.

93_chargedcobra

Established Member
Its hard to find a programmers job right out of school, because often times there is no practical experience. If you where an operator for 3 yrs (or "by hand" programmer) you would appreciate the code that a CAM system spits out a lot more. Trust me in 3 years you wont miss many trends in CAD plus even if you do there are refresher courses you could take. If you can find a good operators job take it and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread