Any benefit in 'upgrading' to 275/40/19 and 295/35/19 for a DD?

Ablaze

Established Member
Any benefit in 'upgrading' to 275/40/19 and 295/35/20 for a DD?

I'm in the process of selling off my 2010 GT with only 12k miles to purchase a 2014 GT500. I've started doing a tremendous amount of research. Doesn't look like I will be modding this much, apparently it's pretty great from the factory. Just a few questions regarding some hard street driving.

Will I gain any performance (handling, traction) by moving up 10mm front and back with my tires? I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 in the stock setup or MPSS in 275/295 otherwise. Running 275/40/19 all around and love it on my Cooper RS3-As.

I'll be purchasing the M-5300-L springs with a panhard bar to go on as well. Will I need to do like the GTs and go full on relocation brackets, LCA, adjustable UCA to fix any possible problems with my control arms being angled wrong or pinion angle being off? I don't want to incur any traction issues or anymore rear end whine I hear some already have.. I was at least going to go with relocation brackets.

I shouldn't even be asking this considering I tuned my 10 the day I got it.. should I expect a big increase in torque/throttle response with a new tune? I'm thinking about JPC since they're local. Not really looking for power -- I got the tune on my GT to improve the throttle response and overall 'wake' the car up, feel the torque across the RPMs. Not sure if the GT500 needs it or if people are just getting tunes because it's what everyone else is doing.

If these questions have already been answered I'll gladly accept the flames :fm: if you'll link them to me to read. :rockon::beer:

Last edited:

Black05Shelby

Established Member
Fyi the gt500 has 20 in.wheels on the rear, so keep that in mind when planing a tire swap. Also I would say learn how to drive the car first before you modify it these things are monsters right from the factory, it will get you in more trouble than you can believe right now, so learn it first before you turn it up anymore. Trust me you are going to have Alot of FUN.

Ablaze

Established Member
I meant 20s. I fixed the title, thanks for pointing that out. I wanted to swap the rubber due to all the complaints about the Goodyears but I'm trying to decide what size to go with early, that will determine whether I need summer/winter tires or just A/S.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
A tune made a huge benefit for me. I drove around 100% stock except for a tune for a few months. Then I upgraded to drag radials and 4.10 gears, also very nice.
The MPSS tires are awesome, I'm not familiar with their 19" size options, but a 275/40 might have too tall of a sidewall IMO, and look too big compared to the rear. Is a 275/35/19 available?
The 295/35/20 is a good upgrade from stock, several guys here run the (105Y) version as there are 2 separate 295/35/20 options on the MPSS.
The GYs are useless and dangerous for performance driving at low temps IMO, you're opinion may differ, LOTS of tire talk on here, try a search. Good luck.
-J

Ablaze

Established Member
A tune made a huge benefit for me. I drove around 100% stock except for a tune for a few months. Then I upgraded to drag radials and 4.10 gears, also very nice.
The MPSS tires are awesome, I'm not familiar with their 19" size options, but a 275/40 might have too tall of a sidewall IMO, and look too big compared to the rear. Is a 275/35/19 available?
The 295/35/20 is a good upgrade from stock, several guys here run the (105Y) version as there are 2 separate 295/35/20 options on the MPSS.
The GYs are useless and dangerous for performance driving at low temps IMO, you're opinion may differ, LOTS of tire talk on here, try a search. Good luck.
-J

Didn't know a 105Y version existed. I'll look into that and Revan's 13-5 kit. Thanks, this is the feedback I was looking for.

Last edited:

sftdyna

Established Member
The 105y is about 1.75 inches wider then the goodyears and you will need the 275/40 fronts because for some reason the stock size In the MPSS run small!

Husky44

Established Member
Highly recommend the MPSS in 275/295. If you're doing the springs, I'd also recommend at least an adjustable UCA and lanyard. I did the adjustable LCA, brackets, etc. I would not do any power mods until you improve traction and handling to maximize the stock power.

I also recommend a gear swap; it makes the power a lot more useable for spirited street driving. I like my 3.73s.

Users who are viewing this thread