Any avid golfers in here?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I've been starting to get some golf lessons. Working on hip rotation and weight transfer. Did a little drills at the shop tonight. Definitely starting to feel like I'm getting the weight on my forward foot.

Maybe one day I'll have a decent golf swing...
61aef8bae49135e33516673c83d1d921.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I see good form there, Brady. Do you plan on advanced lessons from your range Pro this year? I highly recommend it. That coupled with what you're already doing is going to make your wife sweat a bit. LOL.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I see good form there, Brady. Do you plan on advanced lessons from your range Pro this year? I highly recommend it. That coupled with what you're already doing is going to make your wife sweat a bit. LOL.
That's the plan Bob! I really would like to improve my game. We shall see.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I took lessons the summer/fall of 2021 with the intent of playing regularly. My wife doesn't play and doesn't care to learn. My problem was finding someone to golf with. Haven't played since 2021. None of my friends play, and my wife has zero interest in learning. LOL. It's awesome that you'll golf together, Brady.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I took lessons the summer/fall of 2021 with the intent of playing regularly. My wife doesn't play and doesn't care to learn. My problem was finding someone to golf with. Haven't played since 2021. None of my friends play, and my wife has zero interest in learning. LOL. It's awesome that you'll golf together, Brady.
That's awesome. I'm very lucky that shes very passionate about golf. And I have friends that play. I hate golfing alone.

But if you go out and golf more, you might meet others that are golfing solo. This happens a lot. You might find some golf buddies.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Join a league. They also have couples leagues. I’ve been in my dad’s work golf league for 20yrs and it’s a great escape and makes you play at least once a week.
C’mon first Wednesday of May :)
-J

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Depending on conditions he averages about 350-360.....Plays for his college team and has had quite a few coaches who think he could do very well in some of those tournaments....."He certainly didn't get it from me"lol.......
That is deeeeep damn
When i played all the time backnin the 90s and 00s i was driving 300-315ish

I shot mid to high 80s and had a few rounds in the 70s

Distance is one thing...but aproach and shory shots a huge. My short game is where i made up strokes, i was good with my high irons and the flat stick

Op...custom clubs will really really help you

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That is deeeeep damn
When i played all the time backnin the 90s and 00s i was driving 300-315ish

I shot mid to high 80s and had a few rounds in the 70s

Distance is one thing...but aproach and shory shots a huge. My short game is where i made up strokes, i was good with my high irons and the flat stick

Op...custom clubs will really really help you
I got custom clubs last fall. I was playing pretty good with them. Then this winter I've been playing on a golf simulator a lot. That seems to have messed my mental game and swing. It's totally different in my opinion.

coposrv

Established Member
Well I've been starting to get some golf lessons. Working on hip rotation and weight transfer. Did a little drills at the shop tonight. Definitely starting to feel like I'm getting the weight on my forward foot.

Maybe one day I'll have a decent golf swing...
61aef8bae49135e33516673c83d1d921.jpg

When I start to suffer strike my main fault is my hips getting too far ahead and then it forcing my hands to have to catch up.

A huge swing thought for me when this happens is to avoid thinking about rotating at all. Think more about getting my trail hip deep then my lead hip deeper. Push and pull your vs rotate. Just get your hips out of the way.

It FEELS like I’m not rotating at all and it feels slow but on camera you can see that feel isn’t real and the club head speed right where it should be at playing pace with what feels like hardly any effort.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When I start to suffer strike my main fault is my hips getting too far ahead and then it forcing my hands to have to catch up.

A huge swing thought for me when this happens is to avoid thinking about rotating at all. Think more about getting my trail hip deep then my lead hip deeper. Push and pull your vs rotate. Just get your hips out of the way.

It FEELS like I’m not rotating at all and it feels slow but on camera you can see that feel isn’t real and the club head speed right where it should be at playing pace with what feels like hardly any effort.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Makes sense.

My main problem is that I don't seem to rotate my hips much, and tried making my upper body do all the work. But also I've been having an outside to in golf swing. Which obviously is no good.

So I actually concentrate on rotating my hips. I have another lesson in about a week. But I'm excited to play outside. This simulator golf is messing with me.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I enjoy watching golf and have fun every time I play but don't play as often as I'd like to (like everyone else). Wife played in HS and college and like previous posters, she always beats me.

Bad back and lack of time have prevented me from playing more, but I've made it a goal to fix those two things.

I had a friend whose dad was the pro at a local course and offered to give me a lesson. He watched me swing for about 10min and said "great, a baseball player, and a pull hitter at that. Forget you ever played baseball and come back and see me after only swinging a golf club for a while." 100% right in his assessment.

When I really swing, I probably average about 300yds with my driver, it's just 200yd up and 100yd or so slicing to the right.

Limiting myself to about 70% swingspeed I can keep em straight and I play better but, like that old sportscenter commercial, chicks dig the longball.

What resources do you guys suggest for learning mechanics and practice drills?

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I enjoy watching golf and have fun every time I play but don't play as often as I'd like to (like everyone else). Wife played in HS and college and like previous posters, she always beats me.

Bad back and lack of time have prevented me from playing more, but I've made it a goal to fix those two things.

I had a friend whose dad was the pro at a local course and offered to give me a lesson. He watched me swing for about 10min and said "great, a baseball player, and a pull hitter at that. Forget you ever played baseball and come back and see me after only swinging a golf club for a while." 100% right in his assessment.

When I really swing, I probably average about 300yds with my driver, it's just 200yd up and 100yd or so slicing to the right.

Limiting myself to about 70% swingspeed I can keep em straight and I play better but, like that old sportcenter commercial, chicks dig the longball.

What resources do you guys suggest for learning mechanics and practice drills?
I really enjoy watching golf on tv as well. A few years ago I got to go to the Ryder Cup when it was in Minnesota.

I wish I could hit my driver 260-270! Maybe with more work I can get it there. I seem to rely on my short game. My putting is pretty good and my chipping has also improved. Funny, because I rarely have to practice those two parts of my game.

My long game and just hitting anything off the tee box seems to be a struggle.

I still think the best thing is getting 1 on 1 lessons. But don't just settle for who's available. You have to mesh well with the golf instructor. You shouldn't feel any pressure or nervousness while getting lessons. Maybe the first time, but not any after that.

If one instructor isn't meshing well, try a different one. My instructor is younger and very down to earth. Unfortunately he'll be moving a few hours away come summer, but plans on coming back once in awhile. So I'm hitting him up for a lot of lessons while I can.

Users who are viewing this thread