Any 80's/90's two stroke fans in here?

Rct851

Established Member
I would like to build a steel framed yz250 to compare it my aluminum frame. Garage is already busting at the seams though. Problems

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I would like to build a steel framed yz250 to compare it my aluminum frame. Garage is already busting at the seams though. Problems

Funny... we want to add an AL framed yz250 to the collection. GREAT bikes that do everything well. Power hits HARD and early and keeeeeeeps on pulling.

Yamaha dominated the competition in the early 2000's.

Rct851

Established Member
Funny... we want to add an AL framed yz250 to the collection. GREAT bikes that do everything well. Power hits HARD and early and keeeeeeeps on pulling.

Motor is so good. Gytr flywheel weight is the best mod I’ve done. Still explosive but so much more rear wheel traction. I’ve put 60 hours on it with typical bolt ons. Exhaust, reeds, thinner base gasket and c12 for fuel.

Runs great but we are who we are so I have a new cylinder and head from pro circuit ready to bolt on that’s the full tilt motor setup. New balanced crank from crankworks is going to expected to arrive this week and then we can get busy.

2 strokes are alive and well lol

beau t

Established Member
Was the Husky left kick? Maybe that was ATK... I had a buddy with one growing up that was a leg breaker.
Believe it or not honda did it for 1 year on the CRs 1983 if i remember correctly, i had it for a couple years and never could crank it on the bike had to stand beside it to crank lol in my defense i was only 14-17 when i had it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Motor is so good. Gytr flywheel weight is the best mod I’ve done. Still explosive but so much more rear wheel traction. I’ve put 60 hours on it with typical bolt ons. Exhaust, reeds, thinner base gasket and c12 for fuel.

Runs great but we are who we are so I have a new cylinder and head from pro circuit ready to bolt on that’s the full tilt motor setup. New balanced crank from crankworks is going to expected to arrive this week and then we can get busy.

2 strokes are alive and well lol

There is an ESR 310 powervalve cylinder and piston for the YZ on the local offerup that im doing all i can to ignore. Ill probably end up owning it at some point.

Like you said... we are who we are.

Believe it or not honda did it for 1 year on the CRs 1983 if i remember correctly, i had it for a couple years and never could crank it on the bike had to stand beside it to crank lol in my defense i was only 14-17 when i had it.

I had no idea Honda played with that set up. Just when you thnk you know a little bit about some of the early stuff, you (me) realize you dont know shit lol.

Very cool.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm not as well versed on dirt bikes, but I just bought my girl a 4 stroke Kawasaki 125 that her dad rebuilt and so I need to find myself a bike and I don't know what I should be looking for. I'm down for old or newish as long as it can perform. We are really only interested in back country riding and just adventuring basically. OP or anyone have any suggestions on what a good bile for me would be that can be had for $4k or less? I'm thinking I'll need a 250 or 450 and I know that 2 stroke and 4 stroke change the performance of those engine sizes immensely.

Edit: I don't want to take over or steal this thread but everyone here probably has really good input. Just need to know a general range of what years and maybe models are where I should be looking.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm not as well versed on dirt bikes, but I just bought my girl a 4 stroke Kawasaki 125 that her dad rebuilt and so I need to find myself a bike and I don't know what I should be looking for. I'm down for old or newish as long as it can perform. We are really only interested in back country riding and just adventuring basically. OP or anyone have any suggestions on what a good bile for me would be that can be had for $4k or less? I'm thinking I'll need a 250 or 450 and I know that 2 stroke and 4 stroke change the performance of those engine sizes immensely.

Edit: I don't want to take over or steal this thread but everyone here probably has really good input. Just need to know a general range of what years and maybe models are where I should be looking.
It’s really depends on your experience level riding, how aggressively you would like to ride it, and if it would ever actually see a closed course motocross track. A modern 250f is the best balance.
If 4K is the budget look for a 2015 or newer yamaha yz250f or wr250f.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It’s really depends on your experience level riding, how aggressively you would like to ride it, and if it would ever actually see a closed course motocross track. A modern 250f is the best balance.

Probably wouldn't see a motocross track, just outdoor trails or sand dunes even, and I'dbe riding with someone with little experience so it would be mostly tame exceot for places here and there where I can push it. I've owned a sport bike and ridden plenty of dirt bikes and quads growing up but just never owned one myself and ridden offroad as a regular hobby. Your response was exactly what I was expecting and looking for though so I appreciate it. Gives me something to narrow my search on and anyone else with any input would be appreciated.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I had a 02 yz250 but someone stole it. I did a frame up refresh on it. New powder, plastics etc.

I just joy ride on flat land so there was no reason for me ever to upgrade. Id love to get a 2005+ yz250 but I think something more tame like a crf250f would be far more ideal for how I am these days.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

^^ couldn't have said it better myself. If they make an off-road version of the yz250f, like a yz250fx ? -- that would be the way to go for your type of riding.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I always thought it was whoever had the best riders consistently won. They are have bikes that cost tens of thousands.

"anyone have any suggestions on what a good bile for me would be that can be had for $4k or less? I'm thinking I'll need a 250 or 450 and I know that 2 stroke and 4 stroke change the performance of those engine sizes immensely."

@svtfocus2cobra A used crf250f (not a crf250r). You do not need a motorcross bike to have fun. MX bikes make a lot of power and required far quicker service intervals. Estart is nice. I will also say you couldnt make me understand that when I bought a yz125 and yz250 years ago.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Never pass up a chance to show off the beast! Below are pictures of my Honda CR500AF. As you can see it's a Ronnie Mac tribute bike and I have added pictures of Ron himself sawing off the front fender when both he and my bike were at Kaplan's. Can't wait to get back up to Michigan this summer so I can ride her again.

U.M.

*EDIT* Just noticed you were looking for 80's & 90's 2-strokes. Mine is a 2001... sorry.

fixed.jpg

fender1.jpg

fender2.jpg

ron-wdwmkr-md.jpg

magnum eagle.jpg

rim.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Never pass up a chance to show off the beast! Below are pictures of my Honda CR500AF. As you can see it's a Ronnie Mac tribute bike and I have added pictures of Ron himself sawing off the front fender when both he and my bike were at Kaplan's. Can't wait to get back up to Michigan this summer so I can ride her again.

U.M.

*EDIT* Just noticed you were looking for 80's & 90's 2-strokes. Mine is a 2001... sorry.

View attachment 1782949

View attachment 1782950

View attachment 1782951

View attachment 1782952

View attachment 1782953

View attachment 1782954

This is fantastic.

I had a 99 kx500 several years back.. I need to dig up some pics.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Couple pics of our YZ250... great machines!!!

I had a 01 yz250 just like your blue one there but I guess you could say I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t do the desert thing right. It was quite a chore for a rookie from the PNW who knew nothing about desert life in SoCal so I sold it. It did take me to slash x one time from stoddard. That was the highlight of my short desert riding saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 01 yz250 just like your blue one there but I guess you could say I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t do the desert thing right. It was quite a chore for a rookie from the PNW who knew nothing about desert life in SoCal so I sold it. It did take me to slash x one time from stoddard. That was the highlight of my short desert riding saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fill that toybox up with more desert toys and lets go get after it!

Rct851

Established Member
I always thought it was whoever had the best riders consistently won. They are have bikes that cost tens of thousands.

That’s typically the case and it’s why the current series is so good. Tomac, Webb and sexton have been going at it so far this year and all on different brands. Their riding styles are all so different but it’s working out about equal. 7 rounds in and the top 3 are separated by 5 points. We have to appreciate this because when Jett Lawrence moved to 450s next year it will probably be a 1 man show for 5-7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread