antifreeze on paint

forcefedcobra

Established Member
popped a coolant line at the road track this weekend and spewed coolant out the heat extractor vents all over the cobra. Had no choice but to let it sit on the paint for a while. Washed the car when I got home and you can still see where the coolant sat on the hood.

I busted out the claybar but it didnt do anything. I'm sure a PC would do the job with a light buff but I dont have one and cant really afford to pick one up right now.

Anybody have any good idea's?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Wow that sucks. Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Was burping my system and hot coolat sprayed from the faulty radiator cap. ****ing hurt. Hopefully there is a trick to get this out.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Wow that sucks. Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Was burping my system and hot coolat sprayed from the faulty radiator cap. ****ing hurt. Hopefully there is a trick to get this out.

I put the claybar to it, and then used some cleaner wax on it. I can still find a few spots but it is MUCH better than it was. I guess I'm just going to have to take a PC to it. Good thing is I've been wanting to get one and totally go through the car but the bad thing is I'm going to have to hold off on spending the money on stuff for a while.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
trick I say was wax the crap out of it BEFORE the spill. During my umpteen million (and currently ongoing) issues with overheating, I pulled the radiator cap while it was smoking hot (ok now I know that was not the brightest thing to do) fluid spewed all over my fenders. I didn't let it sit as you guys say, but I did wash it down within 15 minutes and it didn't leave a mark. I wax my car religiously, weekly usually. I credit that with saving my finish.

Forcefed...try some good quality polish (like Pinnacle Body Lotion or Poorboy's SSR1) and do a coat or two till you get it polished out. Then top it with the matching wax or sealant. I think it might get the result you are needing.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
trick I say was wax the crap out of it BEFORE the spill. During my umpteen million (and currently ongoing) issues with overheating, I pulled the radiator cap while it was smoking hot (ok now I know that was not the brightest thing to do) fluid spewed all over my fenders. I didn't let it sit as you guys say, but I did wash it down within 15 minutes and it didn't leave a mark. I wax my car religiously, weekly usually. I credit that with saving my finish.

Forcefed...try some good quality polish (like Pinnacle Body Lotion or Poorboy's SSR1) and do a coat or two till you get it polished out. Then top it with the matching wax or sealant. I think it might get the result you are needing.

Thanks Matt. I was my car atleast once a month and it sits in the garage most of the time. I should have went and hosed the car off after the incident but was more concerned with fixing it than cleaning it at the time.

To the normal person you cant tell that anything happened now but I can still see some spots. I plan on getting a good quality buffer and top notch products when things pick back up and see what magic I can work on the car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
dang, that sucks. i remember when i had overheating issues i would get a good bit through the extractors and a nice misting of the hood/windshield but never left any side effects; though my paint was very well protected at all times.

youll be good once you do a once-over with a PC and some good polish. Just keep the finish protected from the elements for now with some OTC like NXT2.0 and then have a field day when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread