Anti Gravity Battery

DaBigBone

Established Member
Looking at taking advantage of the sales and getting an Anti Gravity battery. Anybody running one? Only weighs 5lbs and stock is around 31lbs.

Appreciate the input

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If its what I think it is, its not something I would want in a DD. Especially coming up on winter.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Are you talking about their "micro start" because thats only for jumping a dead battery.

noldevin

Established Member
I'm sure he's talking about one of their racing batteries and not the micro start.
I would not run a 5lb battery in a DD or street use car. If you want to shave some weight and it's not a dedicated race car, I'd stick to batteries in the 15-20lb range. The stock one is over 30lbs.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I'm sure he's talking about one of their racing batteries and not the micro start.
I would not run a 5lb battery in a DD or street use car. If you want to shave some weight and it's not a dedicated race car, I'd stick to batteries in the 15-20lb range. The stock one is over 30lbs.

What ones do you recommend?

noldevin

Established Member
The most popular is an odyssey PC680 or equivalent. Saves about half the weight but still dd-able. Using a battery tender is recommended if the car sits more than a few days

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
You guys are assuming lead/acid batteries. The ones from Anti Gravity are lithium ion, hence the tiny weights. They have a couple of batteries that would fit the bill. These are two that I see would provide the needed power and actually fit.

YTX12-24 720 Cranking amps 25ah 6lbs
ATX20 780 Cranking amps 25ah 6.5lbs

I just can't justify the price unless you are shaving some serious weight off the car (e.g. no interior, no stereo, replace all glass with plexiglass, all sheet aluminum panels, etc., etc.)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
For the price, you can take that money and apply it to other mods and overcome the weight difference easily. Heck, just relocate your batter to the spare tire are in the trunk and you won't even know it is there.

noldevin

Established Member
For the price, you can take that money and apply it to other mods and overcome the weight difference easily. Heck, just relocate your batter to the spare tire are in the trunk and you won't even know it is there.

That depends what your goals are. Relocating the stock battery actually adds quite a bit of weight in thick wiring, and you should really have a vent setup for safety.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Not really looking to relocate it to the trunk. Guess it comes down to what I'm willing to pay for the weight. Dropping 26lbs for $250 doesn't seem too horrible in my eyes, especially paired with all the other weight loss items.

Shaun@AED

We have race cars at the shop with Small lithium Ion batteries.
They have very low reserve capacity, and that's about the only issue we've seen.

noldevin

Established Member
I don't think I'd run a lithium for a daily use car. Small reserve capacity, picky charging characteristics, and very high price. Oh, and if they ever short or get punctured you suddenly have a violent jet of fire.

Shaun@AED

I don't think I'd run a lithium for a daily use car. Small reserve capacity, picky charging characteristics, and very high price. Oh, and if they ever short or get punctured you suddenly have a violent jet of fire.
A battery is only used to start the engine or run accessories when the engine is off. For starting purposes there are no issues we see with the lithium battery, they are plenty strong. For running accessories when the engine is off however......they do not have a lot of reserve.
My partner blew one up at the shop from charging at 40Amps.
2Amp charging is not a problem and does not actually take as long as I expected. (20min from dead to starting power)

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
What about the antigravity rs 20 it looks good to me
It's about a 1/2" deeper on width than a group 96 battery. If he keeps the factory battery tray, it shouldn't fit. If he replaces the battery tray, it's doable.

Aside from that, heavier than the other LI batteries they have and less amp hours (20 vs 25). The reserve cutoff is neat though.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Reserve life isn't an issue. Car is 90% track use and hardly leaves the garage during the week.

J_verrett5oh

Established Member
I run the anti gravity battery in my street car with no problems. its a weekend warrior. sometimes I drive it to work and have no issues with it

Users who are viewing this thread