Antarctica thread - Can we go there to explore?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
In an effort to keep the other thread from de-railing, lets move this over here.

@SVT-BansheeMan mentioned you can't go to Antarctica and explore, yet I can't find any evidence for this.

It seems as though the only requirement is to contact the treaty and let them know you are going. As for rules, it appears you just need to make sure you don't interfere with any scientific research.

This could likely be the reason they don't want vehicles out there driving around. They even want you to disinfect your supplies before you get there.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is some red tape envolve. Basically if you can come up with the money, then you can go. There are plenty of outposts that will take you "funding". Especially the Russians.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
It seems as though the only requirement is to contact the treaty and let them know you are going. As for rules, it appears you just need to make sure you don't interfere with any scientific research.
Yeah you cant use planes, sled dogs, vehicles etc. You have to keep/store your waste. You cant go where they dont let. The list goes on. It's basically impossible.

edit* finally found the video summing up everything. Give it a watch
Just ignore the flat earth comments/talk.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah you cant use planes, sled dogs, vehicles etc. You have to keep/store your waste. You cant go where they dont let. The list goes on. It's basically impossible.

Dumb question

Do they have the means of stopping you? Are there police?

As @Revvv said, what's to stop a well-to-do from doing just that? Privately funding their own excursion.

Not asking to start drama, asking because I legitimately do not know the answer. Cold weather and I do not get along.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Man I'm having a tough time watching it and believing anything he is saying is true. From reading online, it does appear that you can absolutely go and a permit is "requested" but there is no one that would stop you.

Dumb question

Do they have the means of stopping you? Are there police?

As @Revvv said, what's to stop a well-to-do from doing just that? Privately funding their own excursion.

Not asking to start drama, asking because I legitimately do not know the answer. Cold weather and I do not get along.

No military out there, and from what I read from people who have been there, the reason for the permits are so they know where you are for rescue missions. If there is military out there it's usually for transportation as they are the best equipped for it but there are no permanent bases (as required by treaty).

From what I can gather out of all of this, is they A) want to keep it un-****ed from humans and B) don't really want you out there because youre going to die.

Zemedici

Established Member
So if you're completely aware of the risks, and not a pussy ass 'sue happy cuz I ****ed up' type, you could go and have a ball.

Or die.

All on your own accord.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
One of the most interesting books I read about real American Men discoveries was about Nathaniel Palmer. Over 200 years ago on wooden ships surviving the elements to discover a whole continent. No one today can compare to what our forefathers could do with so little. It truly is unbelievable to me and awesome at the same time. Here is the book.
4d52bf0b05dc039f6c3055856b77371c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread