Another Window Tint exemption question

Richard Tuggle

Good morning all,

I was just informed by my VA rep that as a disabled veteran (100% Service connection) with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) that I could apply for an exemption for my window tinting. This was brought up due to missing appointments, as I told my Doctors there are days I can't come in because natural light causes severe migraines. Depending on how bright it is outside a lot of the times determines if I am going anywhere that day.

So my question(s) are

(1) What are the steps in order to request an exemption?
(2) is the process very lengthy?
(3) do i need to include any documentation from the Veterans Affairs office of my disabilities?
(4) last but not least, what documentation in the event I am pulled over will i need to produce to any law enforcement besides the normal license,ins, registration?

Basic information

(a) I live in San Antonio Texas
(b) I have 2 vehicles both insured to my wife and I. However I primarily drive my Jeep to and from VA appointments when my wife isn't able too.
(c) I do have a valid VA ID card which states that I am a DV and Service connected as well as DV Plates.

Thank you kindly all for your efforts in advance.

Black2010

Established Member
This was brought up due to missing appointments, as I told my Doctors there are days I can't come in because natural light causes severe migraines. Depending on how bright it is outside a lot of the times determines if I am going anywhere that day.

First and forth most. Thank you for your service.

But... This is an excuse. As Lt.Z06 stated. Why not get some sunglasses if that is really an issue. I have a feeling that the extra tint is to look cool vs of actual need as sunglasses would help much better than window tinting would as it would protect from inside and outside the car.

Just put the legal limit on the car and get some sunglasses. You wont have to fight all the time with the tint which would be much easier for you in the long run (don't forget about having to get the car inspected every year two). Plus when you go to sell the car you would need to remove the tint. Way to much heartache for something with such an easy alternative fix.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Bad Company

Established Member

DGladhill

Established Member

But... This is an excuse. As Lt.Z06 stated. Why not get some sunglasses if that is really an issue. I have a feeling that the extra tint is to look cool vs of actual need as sunglasses would help much better than window tinting would as it would protect from inside and outside the car.

Just put the legal limit on the car and get some sunglasses. You wont have to fight all the time with the tint which would be much easier for you in the long run (don't forget about having to get the car inspected every year two). Plus when you go to sell the car you would need to remove the tint. Way to much heartache for something with such an easy alternative fix.

Or it's because sunglasses generally won't block as much light as a proper tint job will. The only people who think tint 'looks cool' are high school kids and "adults" who haven't grown up yet, don't try and degrade him because he has a legitimate problem.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
It isn't degrading someone who has light sensitivity issues; however, just because someone has a medical aversion to light gives them no right to jeopardize my or someone else's safety at night if they tint their front windshields.

If a state want to issue a waiver for front windshield tint, then the operator's license should be restricted to daytime use only then.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Or it's because sunglasses generally won't block as much light as a proper tint job will. The only people who think tint 'looks cool' are high school kids and "adults" who haven't grown up yet, don't try and degrade him because he has a legitimate problem.
actually there ARE sunglasses out there that would do the job. but they don't look cool and thus most people wouldn't want to use them when they can have tint. when I had cataract surgery I had to wear a pair. fully covered front and sides of my eyes and kept the sunlight out very well

there are a pant load of "adults" on this site that haven't grown up yet. you would be surprised how many people have illegal tint on their windshields.

It isn't degrading someone who has light sensitivity issues; however, just because someone has a medical aversion to light gives them no right to jeopardize my or someone else's safety at night if they tint their front windshields.

If a state want to issue a waiver for front windshield tint, then the operator's license should be restricted to daytime use only then.
I think this should be the solution or if the person has two cars the one without the tint has to be driven at night

Regulars520

Established Member

I agree that sunglasses will help as I have some of the same light issues as the OP. However it would be better if you would next time not link the OP to using his wartime injuries in order to make his car look cool. Wearing sunglasses can and will help with some symptoms, I do not have tint on my windows and I do wear sunglasses as my way of helping. However there are certain things you have to realize. I myself find wearing sunglasses all day long begins to hurt, yes I wear them even in Wal-mart while shopping due to the fluorescent lighting effects my eyes. Your face begins to hurt after awhile, your nose, around your ears, the top of your ears etc.. Finding the perfect fitting sunglasses is not always so easy and if you do not have the funds to purchase a very nice set of Oakleys etc.. then you are stuck with the run of the mill cheapies. The VA will provide you with the glasses that RDJ is referring to however I tried them and it is equivalent to wearing a boat anchor on your face and takes only minutes to feel uncomfortable. The OP is probably looking for a COMFORTABLE option to avoid contact with bright light. If the state approves him to have the tint then I would guess the tint has been tested and approved for daytime or nighttime driving. (I am only assuming) If it has not then it would be nice of them to test it. The OP is not trying to endanger you, just be comfortable. OP I feel your pain and honestly we are just screwed because there is no real good way to avoid the light.

Bad Company

Established Member
Alright you guys. My Virginia state issued window tint exemption is because of the fact I have to go to the dermatologist at least once year to remove pre-cancerous skin growths or every once in a blue moon..........skin cancer. Now how would sunglasses help me with my aversion to the sun?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
to my understanding skin cancer is caused by UV rays .. there are UV blocking window tint that is clear and does not obscure your vision. and since you offered up more info .. what level of tint do you have on your windshield ?

Alright you guys. My Virginia state issued window tint exemption is because of the fact I have to go to the dermatologist at least once year to remove pre-cancerous skin growths or every once in a blue moon..........skin cancer. Now how would sunglasses help me with my aversion to the sun?

DGladhill

Established Member
actually there ARE sunglasses out there that would do the job. but they don't look cool and thus most people wouldn't want to use them when they can have tint. when I had cataract surgery I had to wear a pair. fully covered front and sides of my eyes and kept the sunlight out very well

there are a pant load of "adults" on this site that haven't grown up yet. you would be surprised how many people have illegal tint on their windshields.

I think this should be the solution or if the person has two cars the one without the tint has to be driven at night

Hence why I said "generally".

And I'm confused at to why you keep mentioning windshield tint, OP never mentioned anything about tinting his windshield.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hence why I said "generally".

And I'm confused at to why you keep mentioning windshield tint, OP never mentioned anything about tinting his windshield.
Texas already allows 25% on everything but the windshield. they do not allow any on the windshield. believe me he wants to tint the windshield. the rest of the car is already legal

Regulars520

Established Member
OP you may want to possibly look into this technology as well. Window tint that is controlled electronically, makes it so you can have it during the day and switch it off during the night. Might be kind of pricey however you may be able to get the VA to supply funds for it to be used as a "prosthetic" yes they will approve funds for things other than arms and legs etc... to be used as a prosthetic, I have a few electronic items around my home that were funded by the VA to help with my TBI/Memory issues.

http://shop.smarttint.com/Automotive_c_315.html

This is a link to just one company I looked at but there are several out there.

Users who are viewing this thread