Another Weird Battery/Alternator Issue

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
Took the car out tonight just to make sure everything was ok with the work i've done. Which is ALOT! And it left me stranded twice! Not far from home but still left me stranded so heres the break down. Please comment your opinion.
-Optima Red Top ( 5 years old)
-Battery Relocation kit. Basically Power and Ground Straight from Battery to original connection by Fuse Block on Drivers Side.
-Grounded in Trunk and Grounded To chassis (Inner Fender Passenger side) and Ran a Extra Ground Strap from Engine Block to Chassis Ground on Drivers side.
-Auto Meter Volt Meter
-Hotter then hell out! As i'm still breaking in everything Clutch, Trans, Engine parameters to make sure it's running correctly.

Here's the Story

-Charged Red Top Optima after sitting for 2 years.
-Started car and ran around the block once or twice.
-Votlmeter jumped from 12-14 volts intermit tingly then down to a solid 10 then 9 then (It died)
-It acted as alternator wasn't charging but it won't unless the battery has enough power/current to allow the alternator to charge.

-Recharged Optima With Blue Point Charger for correct "Dry Cell" charging
-Car fired right up and 14 volts so alternator is doing work and also tested the Alternator Pulley with screw driver.
-Ran the Car still reading 14 volts for about 20 minutes. ( car is untuned with ported eaton setup and 60's) So it's just putting around watching A/F and checking the obvious.
-Shut the car off (Stopped for quick dinner) 30 Minutes later. Go to crank and turns over slow once then the famous chatter of the start relay.
-Get a Jump and it Finally Cranks but cranks slow then fires. High tail it the rest of the way home (5 minute Drive) Still reading 14v on Voltmeter.
-Park it in the garage shut it off and go to restart and same thing. Not even a turn over just the click and chatter.
-Put the optima back on charger and states 68% Charge. So either alternator isn't charging which I just had it checked out or the Red Top Optima can't hold or maintain a charge anymore?

Thanks!

Coxy

Established Member
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the old red top personally. I used to love optimas, but quality seems to have suffered. With a rear battery, perhaps you'd have better luck doing some voltage drop checks from the battery to starter on both the ground and positive sides, see if you have some excessive resistance. If you don't have a shorted cell in the battery, or excessive resistance issues, a guy will have to look deeper.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I agree….junk that battery.

Try a bxt59 and if your car sits a lot…I'd recommend one of those "desulfating" maintenance chargers like the BatteryMinder 1500 or 1510.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
I agree….junk that battery.

Try a bxt59 and if your car sits a lot…I'd recommend one of those "desulfating" maintenance chargers like the BatteryMinder 1500 or 1510.

I've never really dug to deep into batteries as Most of my stuff gets barely used. I have a Load tester i'm going to try today as well if i have time too. And will definitely see where i have some voltage drop for sure. I"ll check resistance as well. I'm also considering if I should run My Battery + Terminal Straight to the starter if I keep hitting dead ends. This is the only optima i've ever owned and may be the last. But i'll keep digging till I find the issue! Thanks for the reply's!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Red Tops are junk!! I bet you dinner that a battery clears everything up. If I'm wrong you have to drive down here to Mechanicsville for you dinner though! Keep us posted. Good to see you blew the dust off your car and are starting to drive it again.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
Dave I would lean towards the Battery too. GL call me if you need anything!!

Same here!

Red Tops are junk!! I bet you dinner that a battery clears everything up. If I'm wrong you have to drive down here to Mechanicsville for you dinner though! Keep us posted. Good to see you blew the dust off your car and are starting to drive it again.

Hopefully i'll be down there for a track rental! I'll pick up a new battery this week. Just doing some research on what's out there now. Looks like i'm leaning towards the Ford Motorcraft BXT-59

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fwiw..mine runs without a battery installed..

but will not run on bad alt...

ive had a few issues over the years with both battery and alt..

Users who are viewing this thread