Another SPEC believer

E.Marquez

Established Member
In 2013 Van sold me a SPEC SS trim stage 2 clutch kit for our GT500, as of today the car has more than 82k miles on it, and the clutch has 61245 miles on it....... yes you read that right over 60k miles. This car is a daily driver, with a mix of stop and go, in town and freeway miles. Only one long trip, a vacation in 2014 from TX to OR, to CAto AZ and home...other than that is just driven daily. No slipping at all at this point.. but there is a dry bearing type screech that was occasional at final clutch release..now a pretty consistent sound at that last bit of hook up before pedal comes all the way up. Im thinking dry pilot bearing but will not know for sure until I get the transmission out. New clutch is going in regardless of what i find even if it's only a new $12 pilot bearing needed.

No passes on this car and it's not a HP monster, basic bolt ons to get a few extra HP and thats it.. So not a super harsh condition as it goes. Yet it does get used hard though not abused. Both my wife and I know how to drive a performance clutch..This is her daily driver.

Called Van today to see about a new clutch, after listening to my request, he did what Van does.. Stopped me and said, wait, while Id like to sell you a new clutch, have it in stock ready to ship...... I sell these specifically because they are 100% rebuildable .. why not do that and save a ton of $$$$. If not for the down time I would.. but its a drive to the shop my son works at, and that's the only lift I currently have access to.. So time being money and downtime on DD is not fun... we will pop for a whole new clutch/flywheel/ hydraulic bearing kit, and after that gets installed I'll send off the old one for rebuild and put it on the shelf for next time. Or perhaps put it up for sale as a freshly rebuilt unit..how knowns.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

In 2013 Van sold me a SPEC SS trim stage 2 clutch kit for our GT500, as of today the car has more than 82k miles on it, and the clutch has 61245 miles on it....... yes you read that right over 60k miles. This car is a daily driver, with a mix of stop and go, in town and freeway miles. Only one long trip, a vacation in 2014 from TX to OR, to CAto AZ and home...other than that is just driven daily. No slipping at all at this point.. but there is a dry bearing type screech that was occasional at final clutch release..now a pretty consistent sound at that last bit of hook up before pedal comes all the way up. Im thinking dry pilot bearing but will not know for sure until I get the transmission out. New clutch is going in regardless of what i find even if it's only a new $12 pilot bearing needed.

No passes on this car and it's not a HP monster, basic bolt ons to get a few extra HP and thats it.. So not a super harsh condition as it goes. Yet it does get used hard though not abused. Both my wife and I know how to drive a performance clutch..This is her daily driver.

Called Van today to see about a new clutch, after listening to my request, he did what Van does.. Stopped me and said, wait, while Id like to sell you a new clutch, have it in stock ready to ship...... I sell these specifically because they are 100% rebuildable .. why not do that and save a ton of $$$$. If not for the down time I would.. but its a drive to the shop my son works at, and that's the only lift I currently have access to.. So time being money and downtime on DD is not fun... we will pop for a whole new clutch/flywheel/ hydraulic bearing kit, and after that gets installed I'll send off the old one for rebuild and put it on the shelf for next time. Or perhaps put it up for sale as a freshly rebuilt unit..how knowns.

Great chatting with you yesterday E-

Thanks for taking the time to post your review of the SPEC SS Trim clutch. It really is a good clutch system.

Van

Willie

Established Member
Although in my opinion, the P-Trim is not for a daily driver, but I absolutely love it for weekends and drag racing. In fact, I currently own two 2008 GT500's but will eventually be selling #1, which has the P-Trim. I will sell it stock, so I will be removing the P-Trim and installing it in #2. That's how much I like it.

But a question to you Van. It now has 8,000 miles on it. Would you recommend any "service" while it is out of the car? Resurface flywheel??? Etc.???

Van@RevanRacing

Although in my opinion, the P-Trim is not for a daily driver, but I absolutely love it for weekends and drag racing. In fact, I currently own two 2008 GT500's but will eventually be selling #1, which has the P-Trim. I will sell it stock, so I will be removing the P-Trim and installing it in #2. That's how much I like it.

But a question to you Van. It now has 8,000 miles on it. Would you recommend any "service" while it is out of the car? Resurface flywheel??? Etc.???

Inspect the clutch and flywheel. If you think it has some excessive wear then let's get it over to SPEC and get it rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread