Another oil consumption thread

usaf_branham

Established Member
Wow... so I have put a whopping 3k miles on my car. I don’t typically wind it up, and I have never been to the track. I just checked the oil (cold) and it’s not even registering on the dip stick! WTF? I would understand it if I were constantly above 7k and tracking it, but I don’t rip on it (too often). The oil light hasn’t even came on either.

Looks like I have an oil consumption problem. Fml.

MG0h3

Established Member
Wow... so I have put a whopping 3k miles on my car. I don’t typically wind it up, and I have never been to the track. I just checked the oil (cold) and it’s not even registering on the dip stick! WTF? I would understand it if I were constantly above 7k and tracking it, but I don’t rip on it (too often). The oil light hasn’t even came on either.

Yikes.

Delete post.

Fill with oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
She could've gone through 6 quarts in that time and still be considered normal by Ford. I would check every 500 miles if I were you. If you're burning more than one quart at that interval, it'll be new voodoo time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You need to determine as best you can exactly how much oil the engine has consumed in those 3K miles. It would seem the best way would be to drain the remaining oil and see how much is in your catch can. Add an estimated amount in the filter, or drain the filter as well. If it were my vehicle, I'd discuss this first with Ford. They might want to do the above. Actually, I'd tell them that's what you want them to do. Then go from there. But yeah, if you went through 6 quarts in 3K miles, that is NOT normal.

Any sign of burning oil in the exhaust at WOT? Have you checked your plugs?

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Whether anyone thinks that much is normal or not, I'm just telling you what Ford will say/do. I've been through this first hand, it's not fun, and I wouldn't waste my time going to the dealer until it drops below the 500mi per quart threshold.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member

Pay attention to what jvandy50 says. First, since you didn't get an oil light and the engine is running fine, just top it up, one quart at a time, to see how low it was. The top hole on the dipstick is 10 quarts, the bottom one is around 9, and the end of the dipstick is, maybe, 7 or so. If you're not revving it hard, that's probably enough to keep any serious damage from happening and your engine will be fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any of you who've been to your dealer complaining about excessive oil consumption (approx. 500 miles per quart) ask them to state on the service paperwork that a quart every 500 miles is normal?

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t have it anymore, but it’s in the owner’s manual. They made an addendum just to state that, very specifically .... If i can locate the pic i’ll post it up.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I change my new engine oil at 1000 miles, so as above, I'd change the oil and determine how much comes out. Or if you have the dealer do it (may be a good idea as warranty implications), I'd then start checking regularly. Last, get a used oil analysis kit and do it EVERY change. I get it $20 prepaid from my Amsoil guy and was monitoring every change on my GT500.
Great data to have and $20/change cheap insurance and even something to use against Ford if new engine warranty is needed.
Good luck.
-J

usaf_branham

Established Member
I added 4 quarts of castrol edge 5w50 and now it’s in between the holes on the dip stick. It could probably stand another 1/2 quart or more, but I cleaned out the local O’Reillys.

I’m taking the car to Ford for screaming brakes and wind noise from the drivers side window Friday, i’ll bring it up to them.

If they don’t get this straightened out, it might be time to get into an F-150 and buy a Terminator when the wife’s Edge is paid off next year.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I added 4 quarts of castrol edge 5w50 and now it’s in between the holes on the dip stick. It could probably stand another 1/2 quart or more, but I cleaned out the local O’Reillys.

I’m taking the car to Ford for screaming brakes and wind noise from the drivers side window Friday, i’ll bring it up to them.

If they don’t get this straightened out, it might be time to get into an F-150 and buy a Terminator when the wife’s Edge is paid off next year.
I dont know if I'd be ready to jump ship that quick. I'd just monitor the oil level and enjoy the car as long as it's running good and still has warranty.

usaf_branham

Established Member
I’ve never gone without a mustang my entire adult life and I don’t know if I really want to jump ship... I know that the millisecond my wife’s car is paid off, I would be able to go buy a cobra. I do miss tinkering (I wish I had never sold my built 04 Sonic Blue GT)... so, it’s a hard decision...

1) Keep the 350 and deal with the brakes, wind noise, and oil issue.

2) Get an F-150, wait a year, and try to find a semi-unmolested Sonic Blue Cobra.

Pros to keeping the 350: it’s a 350... it’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s cool

Pros to F-150: it’s cheaper (I get Z-Plan Pricing), it’s reliable, it will go wherever I want it to, and I don’t have to worry. It’s more responsible... then I get a cobra... still fun, fast, and cool... I get to tinker. And, it’s a keeper.

Cons to cobra: I spend a bunch of money on go fast parts and making it look brand new again. Oh... and I have to wait a year or so before I can buy it.

I don’t know. I love my Shelby, but I hate the payment, and I now I don’t trust it.

Drewsky65

Established Member
I’ve never gone without a mustang my entire adult life and I don’t know if I really want to jump ship... I know that the millisecond my wife’s car is paid off, I would be able to go buy a cobra. I do miss tinkering (I wish I had never sold my built 04 Sonic Blue GT)... so, it’s a hard decision...

1) Keep the 350 and deal with the brakes, wind noise, and oil issue.

2) Get an F-150, wait a year, and try to find a semi-unmolested Sonic Blue Cobra.

Pros to keeping the 350: it’s a 350... it’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s cool

Pros to F-150: it’s cheaper (I get Z-Plan Pricing), it’s reliable, it will go wherever I want it to, and I don’t have to worry. It’s more responsible... then I get a cobra... still fun, fast, and cool... I get to tinker. And, it’s a keeper.

Cons to cobra: I spend a bunch of money on go fast parts and making it look brand new again. Oh... and I have to wait a year or so before I can buy it.

I don’t know. I love my Shelby, but I hate the payment, and I now I don’t trust it.
Keep the Shelby, you will miss it more than you know and the brakes just need a good power wash and some real good hard stops. Mine screamed like crazy the first 2 months I had it. It was embarrassing almost.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Pay attention to what jvandy50 says. First, since you didn't get an oil light and the engine is running fine, just top it up, one quart at a time, to see how low it was. The top hole on the dipstick is 10 quarts, the bottom one is around 9, and the end of the dipstick is, maybe, 7 or so. If you're not revving it hard, that's probably enough to keep any serious damage from happening and your engine will be fine.
The amount of oil between the two holes is a quart?! Wow my car is burning far less oil than I was thinking it was. Good to know

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Do you idle it to warm it up?

There are some different theories on these engines, one being that idling them to warm them up consumes more oil because it takes so long for the pistons to expand. Once I get head temp to 100 degrees I set off and keep the RPMs under 2500 to warm up the engine faster.

With that said, mine also consumes a bit of oil, but not as much as yours. After 3k miles I would be down a quart.

For the loud brakes, this is a pretty cheap solution, these cars come with aggressive pads which drastically increases brake noise and dust.
Power Stop Mustang Z16 Evolution Clean Ride Ceramic Brake Pads - Front Pair 16-1853 (15-19 GT350) - Free Shipping

Let the dealer fix the window seal. My car definitely doesn't have that issue.

usaf_branham

Established Member
It’s at the dealer. Their service techs were surprisingly way cool about it and didn’t try to bs me. They flat told me that they are likely going to do an oil consumption test and that the last one they seen doing what mine is doing ended up with a new motor.

They are going to fix the other stuff and call me with updates.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Do you idle it to warm it up?

There are some different theories on these engines, one being that idling them to warm them up consumes more oil because it takes so long for the pistons to expand. Once I get head temp to 100 degrees I set off and keep the RPMs under 2500 to warm up the engine faster.

With that said, mine also consumes a bit of oil, but not as much as yours. After 3k miles I would be down a quart.

I don't buy that one. Lower oil pressure when idling vs higher oil presseure when running to 2500 rpm or so it wouls seem to me that with the pistons not quite expanded, the rings get blow by. We shall see now that I have my own R. I know with the HC, it was always advisable to let the engine reach operating temp before you take flight.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Also sorry to hear OP. Good luck, and hope it's not too much hassle. Ford did extend my powertrain warranty 7yr/100k for my troubles. Just FYI

Users who are viewing this thread