Another newMach1 2Me

GaryZ

Just bought a 04 M1 that's been sitting for 5 years. New tires and power steering pump ordered. Has high idle (1100+) and possible roller lifter noise on startup. Quiets down after a minute or so when cold. New oil change, Lucas added, then a bit of Marvel to the oil and fuel along with 93 oct. It has a K&N System and possibly a tune, but no way of knowing for certain until I can get it running without the current problems. It doesn't seem stock to me. I do have a ZR13 OBDII Diag Scan Tool. Can this tell if it has a tune on it? And is Electronics Spray Cleaner sufficient to clean MAP & other possible culprits to the high idle? With the shaker hood, are there any common problems with air fuel combo? Also spring problems on TB? Any positive inputs is appreciated. I am relatively new to late model HP. I have built 2 60's era cruisers, but nothing new. Thx.

my04mach

Established Member
Get it out and drive it for a good hour (normal driving). Could be the idle is still learning. If the battery was disconnect during the time it was sitting, the idle was reset and needs to be relearned.

GaryZ

Thx. Hadn't considered that. Should have though. I just did a 2012 Ram Hemi replacement and had to do a reset and modified breakin on it. Will do. Just waiting on PS and tires. Then need to get it exhausted and inspected. PO knocked one exhaust off doing donuts or something...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you say in your other thread that it sat in a field for 5 years? Post a photo of the exterior and another one of the engine bay if you can.

Oh, and welcome to SVTP!!

GaryZ

Tried. Says too big. 4.3mg. It says 24mg max but won't upload... maybe user incomp...

Yeah, it was abused and deserted, basically. Gonna try to contact PO, but there may be legal problems. Not sure.

Try to load pics after these storms pass.

GaryZ

Resized_rps20200304_101347_32641838389577.jpeg

GaryZ

Already have a replacement front wheel coming as well as the new tires all the way around, new PS Pump and Serp Belt.

Paint is next big project. Rear bumper cover ordered thru summit.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Congrats on the new addition and for saving a Mach. Azure blue is one of my favorite colors and was only available on Mach 1's. Throw in some pics of the engine bay, underside and interior, we can try to identify any extras on there.

To answer some of your concerns, this is based on personal experience:
1. Shaker really doesn't do much so no effect on A/F.
2. No issues with TB unless you switch to an aftermarket, those tend to have high idle issues
3. No real way to tell if the car has been tuned
4. Can't say for sure if electronics cleaner will help. I've always used MAF cleaner.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Since you've made this thread just keep it all in here, don't bounce back and forth between this one and the one mods split out for you.

you need to use MAF specific cleaner - other electronics cleaners tend to leave a protective film, this will cause problems.

With the car not running for so long I'd try to just let it idle for at least 10 minutes with the AC off and dont touch anything, give it a chance to re-learn. If the idle does settle down turn the AC on max and let it idle a while longer (keep an eye on the fan/temps in case its not kicking up to high speed or something).

If that doesnt fix it check the K&N tube from the back of the maf to the TB for any possible leaks.

The Idle Air Control Valve has one connector and 2 small bolts holding it on, can try cleaning the hell out of it with carb/TB cleaner and let it dry then put it back. If idle improves just note you'll likely have to replace it soon.

Short of their being an actual chip in the PCM (not likely) theres no real way to verify the tune. You could always buy a handheld with a tune and it will load just fine. Then at least you know what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread