Another double standard between LE and mere civilians

shurur

Established Member
'Good Samaritan' couple returns missing Salem police rifle

Manchester Union Leader
Published Jan 7, 2015 at 11:08 am (Updated Jan 7, 2015)

SALEM NH — A 'good Samaritan' couple returned a missing rifle to Salem police Wednesday afternoon that had been lost by a police officer. The officer had left the Colt M4 Commando 5.56mm semi-automatic rifle atop his cruiser's trunk as he headed out for patrol Tuesday afternoon.
The officer, who was not identified in a news release asking for the public's help in finding the rifle, put the patrol rifle, which was stored in a black canvas carrying bag, on the trunk of his cruiser about 3:45 p.m. as he was preparing for duty, according to the release.

He drove out of the station, forgetting to put the rifle in his trunk. He was sent out on several calls after leaving the parking lot.

Police believe the bag containing the rifle fell off the trunk as he drove out of the parking lot.

The officer did not notice the rifle missing until the end of his shift, about 11:45 p.m., the release said .

He immediately notified his supervisors and an extensive search began.

Police believe the rifle might have fallen off the cruiser in the area of Veterans Memorial Parkway through the Depot area or around the Howard Street block, the first area where the officer was dispatched.

Officers searched the area extensively but came up empty. Investigators believe someone might have picked up the bag and might not know what do with the rifle, according to the release issued Wednesday morning.

Police are asking that “good Samaritan” to return the rifle to them or call them at 603-893-1911 and they will pick it up with no questions asked.

If uncomfortable with dealing with law enforcement, police said the rifle can be turned into a local gun shop or any other safe place to ensure its return.

The rifle is a Colt M4 Commando 5.56mm semi-automatic only patrol carbine with an 11.5-inch barrel.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives classifies the rifle as a “Short Barreled Rifle.”

Police warn there are severe penalties for possessing this weapon without the express approval of BATFE.

The rifle also has the lower receiver stamped with “Restricted Government/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only”.

In the news release, police said they “fully understand the significant public safety risk posed by the loss of this rifle. This is undoubtedly a failure to follow established policy and procedures. We are embarrassed as an agency and no one feels worse than the officer who lost the bag.”

An internal investigation will be conducted as well as a review of the department's practices to ensure that it will not occur again, according to police.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150107/NEWS07/150109443&template=mobileart

Blown 89

Established Member
What am I missing? I don't see the double standard.

On a related note, free rifle. Here's your lower back....I have no idea what happened to the rest of the rifle.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm so beyond outraged. This can not happen any more.

Time to stand up and fight back.

Nah not really.

Mach828

Established Member
Another example of the militarization of police! Leaving fully automatic machine guns in the park where children could get a hold of them! Make a stand, our time is now!

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I don't see the double standard, but this has happened before:

2015452381.jpg

Seattle police 'embarrassed' by rifle left unattended on cruiser

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Another example of the militarization of police! Leaving fully automatic machine guns in the park where children could get a hold of them! Make a stand, our time is now!

Sarcasm? Or is your reading comprehension really that poor?

shurur

Established Member
Maybe not a double standard yet....until I find a case of a civilian losing a firearm and getting charged with something....

The officers name wasn't even released.

Machdup1

Established Member
OP is right. There is a clear double standard.

If I lose my M4 and it gets returned, there are no consequences.

When an officer loses his Service weapon and it is returned, he will be investigated and probably punished.

Maybe OP wants us to start punishing civilians for accidentally losing things.

shurur

Established Member
They are only reviewing the procedures from what I see. This "thing" was a gun. It's very unlikely a civilian wouldn't be charged with something and jailed.....losing things indeed.

Machdup1

Established Member
They are only reviewing the procedures from what I see. This "thing" was a gun. It's very unlikely a civilian wouldn't be charged with something and jailed.....losing things indeed.

I find your opinion to be uneducated and unresearched for correctness.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Police departments have become too civilized. They need to take the military approach to these sorts of things when someone doesn't keep their firearms within one arms distance when they aren't locked away. Don't write them up, just make them pay. It would be awesome to walk down the street and see a cop on the ground doing pushups with his rifle laid across his hands and senior officers counting them out for him. I'd have a lot of respect for that actually.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Been a cop for well over 20 years... Never heard of a non-LE being charged with any crime for losing a firearm (barring the firearm being used to kill someone).

I have seen an officer or two disciplined or terminated for losing theirs, on the other hand.

musclefan21

Established Member
Maybe not a double standard yet....until I find a case of a civilian losing a firearm and getting charged with something....

The officers name wasn't even released.

Lol what a pathetic attempt.

If a civilian lost a gun, he wouldnt be charged with anything. And why on earth would you want to know the officers name in this case? :nonono:

Most likely, i am almost positive, that officer will get disciplined. At my agency, you would be having some unpaid days off for that. And years of Embarrassment on top of that.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol what a pathetic attempt.

If a civilian lost a gun, he wouldnt be charged with anything. And why on earth would you want to know the officers name in this case? :nonono:

Most likely, i am almost positive, that officer will get disciplined. At my agency, you would be having some unpaid days off for that. And years of Embarrassment on top of that.

So if a civilian left a firearm on top of his/her car, drove away and many hours later discovered it missing, you don't think anything would happen from a legal perspective? Just chalk it up as being an error? Hope it turns up?

I'd expect one to be knee deep in feces and rightfully so.

Barney Fife should be looking for a new line of employment if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread