Another dealer beating on customers car thread

sleek98

Established Member
So I had a gift card that was going to expire soon so I took my Shelby in to have an alignment done. Just put in a BMR k member and wanted to have it checked.

I have allied insurance and since the Shelby sits 99% of the time in the winter I signed up for their smartride program where you plug in the monitor they record speed among a few other items in return you can get up to a 40% discount on your premium.

Decided to check it today to see what my estimated discount is from last week, the discount seems to lag a week behind. I notice a huge red warning saying that I have mulltiple fast acceleration events from yesterday. So I scroll down to look at each trip.

Dropped the car off around 3:45 for the alignment and cash out around 4:30ish grab the alignment specs, everything was in spec from the start except for a little toe out.

F5D5EA20-6D5A-472C-A748-D54332C6B829_zpsyvq6nesw.jpg

This was the techs test drive.

2016-11-16%2008_51_43-Daily%20Summary%20_%20SmartRide_zpsklmceozg.png

Each triangle is where you have to lay into it to get it to register. I have put a couple hundred miles on it only triggering it once, he put 4 miles on it triggering it 11 times and once slamming on the brakes.

First off why did they tech even test drive it, I told them its not driving funny but wanted to confirm it was within spec and really? doing 85 in rush hour traffic and getting on it multiple times blows my mind.

Car is around 700 whp on drag radials.

Service manager basically said opps, then tried to tell me the tech has a couple "racecars" a GTI and a GLI. Ummm arent those like 200 to the wheels if that?

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I could see a short test drive being warranted for an alignment to make sure it drives ok, but accelerating like that is unacceptable.

sleek98

Established Member
I have the receipt which has time stamps on it, other than they never updated for daylight savings time so its off an hour. Luckily I didnt take the car to work yesterday so its clear that I drove it there and dropped it off.

Trying to get ahold of someone that can help with my insurance company but I have a feeling they wont be able to do anything.

sleek98

Established Member
I could see a short test drive being warranted for an alignment to make sure it drives ok, but accelerating like that is unacceptable.

To me if it was that close and the customer wasn't complaining about it pulling I dont see the need for it. They didn't do one on my F150 when I had it aligned a couple weeks ago. Same shop and it was a tad father out of spec, so the only reason I can see is they wanted to screw around in it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
To me if it was that close and the customer wasn't complaining about it pulling I dont see the need for it. They didn't do one on my F150 when I had it aligned a couple weeks ago. Same shop and it was a tad father out of spec, so the only reason I can see is they wanted to screw around in it.

That was definitely a motivating factor in this case.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
If I had one of those things on my car they'd empty my bank account and then cancel my insurance. Those things and 700 hp just don't go together. On topic, I stay with my car everywhere I can. At the dealership I can hear if they even start it so it's not going anywhere I don't want.

sleek98

Established Member
If I had one of those things on my car they'd empty my bank account and then cancel my insurance. Those things and 700 hp just don't go together. On topic, I stay with my car everywhere I can. At the dealership I can hear if they even start it so it's not going anywhere I don't want.

I waited until the winter to put it on knowing it would sit in my garage.

Sad part is I was there in the lobby, but somehow I didn't hear it fire up.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
So, where are those two or three guys that jumped down a members throat and argued how test drives are warranted regardless of the customers desire or request?

Point blank, a quick test drive to see how the car pulls, sure. Multiple WOT's and aggressive driving is not justified.

Start going to private shops that are reputable instead of a dealer.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
We used to do test drives after alignments to verify everything was driving correctly, but when I say test drive, I don't mean beating on someone else's car.

Lol at the service manager, it doesn't matter if the tech was Fernando Alonso, ripping on someone else's car isn't ok regardless of driver level.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
We used to do test drives after alignments to verify everything was driving correctly, but when I say test drive, I don't mean beating on someone else's car.

Lol at the service manager, it doesn't matter if the tech was Fernando Alonso, ripping on someone else's car isn't ok regardless of driver level.

exactly....though I'd be ok with Kimi Raikkonen ripping on my car. Definitely not that puff Alonso :D

50stangpower

Established Member
I would be livid. Not sure what to do but I would be extremely pissed off. Also LOL at your Nanny protector for a 700hp car.

sleek98

Established Member
I would be livid. Not sure what to do but I would be extremely pissed off. Also LOL at your Nanny protector for a 700hp car.

I know right, its on for 3 months (nov, dec, jan) then I get whatever discount for as long as I own the car.

I guess I can see why a test drive is needed, if it pulls when I get it back I would be upset as well.

Gary101386

Established Member
I had the same thing happen on My SUV at the dealership.

I went in with a printed report and bitched up a storm, and that was on my SUV. Had it been my Cobra i's own that dealership!

In the end they gave me some free services to compensate my frustration...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I test drove EVERY alignment car when i did them.
Before and after.
It was the same piece of road every time that I knew how the car should react to road crown, tram lining, etc....

If you told me not to test drive there will be no guarantee and if you were not happy with it you will pay again for me to put it back on the rack.
There is more to alignments than just "Get it in spec"
I promise you I can keep it in spec and everything will show green yet I can make it pull left or right if I wish.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Was this a Ford dealer? Ask 13COBRA to call the dealer GM. He's always offering to help out in these situations. I'm sure the GM doesn't want his dealership name all over the 'net associated with an incident like this and you will end up having a conversation with said GM and get some satisfaction.

Oh damn - just saw that you're in KC, I wonder if there is any chance this was actually AT 13COBRA's dealership??

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
And let me add that I never truly beat on a customers car but some rapid acceleration and decel can help spot bushing issues or other parts issues.
It can be helpful in knowing what to look for.
However, on a newer and low mileage car that shouldn't be needed.

And by rapid acceleration I don't mean beat on it. Depending on sensitivity settings it may show up on a nanny device though.

Users who are viewing this thread