Another dead Coyote - VMP TVS

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwerkz

Established Member
So I recently installed a VMP TVS setup with a 79mm pulley. The install went well, nothing really difficult about it. Those worried about the timing cover, it's honestly not as bad as it may seem. The dual fan AFCO does require a good bit of cutting on the lower bumper/grill area to get proper fitment. Again nothing major. The car felt great. Justin's base tune fired up, idled smooth, and the car ran great. The parts arrived quickly. The kit was extremely nice. Everything seemed on track.

Until... I had the setup together for 200 miles. Had some minor bugs, but nothing major. Finally got the car completely sorted, and was going to the track last Sunday. Had Justin from VMP send me a revised tune that Saturday, and headed out to the local car meet. On the way home Saturday night decided to give it a 3rd gear pull into 4th as I had a good bit of road to stretch the cars legs. That was a mistake. Car pulled fine into 4th, and poof. The smoke gremlins released themselves, and I killed every mosquito in the area.

Since I was literally a few turns and a quarter mile away from home I limped it there. Saved the data log (will post it for those interested), and started to pull things apart. Pulled the driver side first, actually went right to #8.

First off here are the passenger side plugs #1-4 (left to right):
Y8x5LjEh.jpg

These look pretty good. The heat range was right as per the line on the strap. You can see #5-8 on the bottom, and by now you can probably spot the issue.

Now here is the driver side #5-8 (again left to right):
avb52Iuh.jpg

#6 was definitely full of oil. #5, #7, and #8 all had oil on the strap with #5 and surprisingly #8 the best of the bunch.

Looking into the combustion chamber from the spark plug hole showed a huge pool of oil in #6 and #7.

Tore it down a bit more. Pulled the upper off, elbow, and throttle body. The throttle body has just a little oil in it, as did the elbow. The upper had a good bit of oil in it, and there was some on the lower as well.

I am pretty sure that the ultimate cause of failure was detonation. Finding oil in the blower also points to a lot of crankcase pressure which was pushed back through the PCV into the blower (didn't have a catch can setup yet, was on my list of things to purchase). From the log I saw a good bit of timing, something I didn't see in the initial logs. Not sure what happened, but I know it's either unhappy ringlands or a cracked piston(s).

Here is the log for those interested (pull happens at 7 minutes):
http://www.techwerkz.com/kaboom.zip

So looks like a built short block is in my future. Might as well aim a bit higher this time. From the other thread with a 75mm and this setup making 650/600, I would assume I was in the 620-630 range with the 79mm, if not a little more. I hit 12-13lbs of boost.

The worst part about all this is the car was in straight race car mode with the new Welds as well:

jSV4lynh.jpg

Would have been great to see what it ran. :shrug:

Last edited:

FIFTY

Established Member
Damn dude I'm sorry to hear about that, how many miles on the motor?

01bluesnake

Established Member
You may want to send your log over to VMP and have them look at the measured AFR on your pull. Going off of pump gas measurements, the car was in the 12's for AFR on your pulls which is not good.

techwerkz

Established Member
You may want to send your log over to VMP and have them look at the measured AFR on your pull. Going off of pump gas measurements, the car was in the 12's for AFR on your pulls which is not good.

Justin has the log. It also hit 19.5 degrees of timing on that pull, which I thought was extremely high. The first tune only hit 14.5 max, and the AFR never went above .83. Taking the stoich of gas (14.7) and the .85 from the log it saw a max of 12.495. Adjusting for E10 fuel mixture at the pumps it was a minimum of 11.98. So yes the AFR was pretty high, especially with that much timing. Detonation and lots of crankcase pressure were the result.

I am however by no means a tuner. So I will let him chime in when he has some time to look over it all.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Justin has the log. It also hit 19.5 degrees of timing on that pull, which I thought was extremely high. The first tune only hit 14.5 max, and the AFR never went above .83. Taking the stoich of gas (14.7) and the .85 from the log it saw a max of 12.495. Adjusting for E10 fuel mixture at the pumps it was a minimum of 11.98. So yes the AFR was pretty high, especially with that much timing. Detonation and lots of crankcase pressure were the result.

I am however by no means a tuner. So I will let him chime in when he has some time to look over it all.

Ya, i can see you looked over the log good, pushing 93 to its limits for sure. I also wouldn't be very trustful on the E10 pump rating, could of been less. I've never tuned for E10 from the pump for AFR, always went off of gas stoich to be safe.

techwerkz

Established Member
Ya, i can see you looked over the log good, pushing 93 to its limits for sure. I also wouldn't be very trustful on the E10 pump rating, could of been less. I've never tuned for E10 from the pump for AFR, always went off of gas stoich to be safe.

Ya I agree. I just put that out there since most assume you're getting that much. This was a bit too much on 93. Coming from the LSx world I've always been a fan of less timing. I would have been happy as would have the car if it was only seeing the timing it was before even if the AFRs spiked that high. Timing will make power, and then eat itself quickly.

01bluesnake

Established Member
ya, definitely. The factory has set these cars up with a stoich of 14.08 taking into account E10 as well, but still leaner than i would want on a high compression motor with boost. Everything together can be detrimental as its shown, unfortunately.

by9468840

Established Member
Do you have a CAI? BAP? What injectors??
I'm curious why you suddenly ran out of fuel. Do you have the logs of your fuel pump duty cycle?

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this but that is too much boost to run on a stock motor

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
19* of timing is to much for 93 on boost but I'm pretty sure that Justin didn't touch the knock sensors sensitivity so they should had pulled timing on their own. As far as the air/fuel it might have just ran out of fuel. There are no signs of excessive heat on the plugs though so I don't think that lean condition caused the issue. I just think that that was just to much boost for a tired coyote. This things are dropping like crazy lataly. The year of Smokey the coyote 2013.

stang8psi

Established Member
Not sure what the issue is but mine when it blew spiked 20° of timing and my afr was 10.9-11.0. I am assuming it's the adaptive learning is letting the timing go that high but it seems these motors are popping when they do this under boosted cars! Maybe these tuners can turn off the adaptive learning and just set these cars afr and timing and just lock them and not let them fluctuate on their own?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The thing is that 19 and 20* of timing will generate higher combustion presures than what the pistons can handle it seems. Even if it dosnt detonate it will still bust the ring landing. I have to run a datalog on mine probably today if it dos t rain but previews logs show my timing locked at around 14*. I don't know if ken locks it or if my knock sensors are extra sensitive.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
So What is the ideal airfuel ratio, and timing setup on these stock internal TVS cars. I run an 82mm pulley with BAP.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Im subscribing because I really want to learn more about this since Im getting a Roush in about 8 months.

SORRY that happened to you..I get bummed with a flat tire, or car wont start. I cant even imagine that.

I dont know much about what happens at which numbers, but I do know that even in my NA tune, my AFR is pegged at 11.99 @ WOT.

Im planning on staying at 82 mm pulley with JLT and LT's, so that I can get good power but not pushing the boost past 7-8.

Please keep us update.

Thanks
RC

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Im subscribing because I really want to learn more about this since Im getting a Roush in about 8 months.

SORRY that happened to you..I get bummed with a flat tire, or car wont start. I cant even imagine that.

I dont know much about what happens at which numbers, but I do know that even in my NA tune, my AFR is pegged at 11.99 @ WOT.

Im planning on staying at 82 mm pulley with JLT and LT's, so that I can get good power but not pushing the boost past 7-8.

Please keep us update.

Thanks
RC

RC boost doesn't bust motors. Power does. Boost could aid valve float but not at the boost levels that the stock bottom end can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread