Another casualty...

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Went to the track tonight... Got in some good runs early, like last time, times ranging from 12.1x - 12.3x. Pretty consistent, all felt good. Very excited to finally race in the King of the Hill event.... Skies looked great (rained out last time).

Get up to the start, bring her up to 4k (I usually launch @ 3.5k), cut a .100 light and BOOM!!! Snapped my second half-shaft. :cuss: :bash:

So I am currently 2 for 2 @ busting my car when racing in the King of the Hill event.

So gang, what is it.... Should I go LvL 2, LvL 5 or Solid 8.8?
Have heard way to many complaints regarding the LvL 5's to actually lay down that kind of money for them... So I may be leaning towards a SOLID.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
David

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Depends on how much you like the street mannerisms of the IRS compared to a Solid, and how often you take it to the track. If you like going to the dragway alot id say go solid.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
I do like to frequent the track.... Not sure I can say I really have felt the difference between Solid and IRS on the street... This is my first Cobra and I haven't driven a Solid axle car in ages.

David

gtmustang00

Established Member
my dad's level 2's havent blown yet. 4500 rpm clutch drops are the norm. not that this is the same car because it isn't, but i still prefer to drag the mach 1 to the cobra. solid axle!

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
I have had my level 2's in for almost a year now. No issues and they have held up to alot allready. I still have both my stockers minus the inner let me know if you need an axle quick.
Matt

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
I am thinking when I upgrade to go LVL 2's. They are suppose to hold upto 600hp and haven't seem to have had all the bad publicity of the LVL 5's. Plus I do not really want to give up the Borla Stingers.... Cuz as everyone knows the Stingers :rockon:

Thanks guys and especially thanks to Raul (gtmustang00) and his Dad for coming through for me!! :banana:

David

ponynx

Established Member
david, your car is here could you please call me? thanks dana 886-0827

snake bite 03

I would go with a solid since u do go to the track alot. I kno a kid in my area looking to do a stright trade for his solid and some 1's IRS he also has some parts for the rear end that havent been installed yet let.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
SilverSnake01 said:
I would go with a solid since u do go to the track alot. I kno a kid in my area looking to do a stright trade for his solid and some 1's IRS he also has some parts for the rear end that havent been installed yet let.

Thanks, if I decide to make the switch I will hit you up for more info. Right now I am still thinking LVL 2's.

David

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
David, I got Level 2's installed last year. I don't launch very hard
but I still get hopping or spinning with the Level 2's. I don't like
the IRS as far as launching. I would like to go with a stock Mach 1
rear with 3.55's.
I saw your Cobra come inside Dana's as I was leaving today.
Ken

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Wow, sorry dave. I know next to nothing about IRS's, but I agree with everyone else. You do seem to hit the track alot, so I'd lean towards a solid. Good luck.!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
yea you have to look at it in the long run dave. also look at the $$ expense. There really isnt too much diff on the street form an IRS to a SRA except you feel the bumps more IMO. but you get so used to it Ive ridden on IRS cars and not even paid attention. A fully built SRA depending on parts is gonna be between $1k and $1500 for good parts. I dont know what Lvl 2's cost but you know the SRA wont break, PLUS you'll drop 120+lbs..you forgot that part huh!? I think yo ulike goin to the track with the car and would benifit from the drop in weight and MAAAYBE a slight gear change...3.73s or 3.90s. But ultimately it's up to you. Do some more asking around and research before you decide though

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
i'd go with the solid. i wish i had done it sooner on mine when i had it. like jake said its not as bad on the street as everyone makes it seem. you do feels the bumps more though but its really not that bad. i'd say it was one of the best mods i did to my car

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
My level 2's have taken quite the beating and so far, so good. 4500 rpm drops are the norm for mine too when I launch. Once in a great while I will get a little hop, but nothing that these can't handle. If you appreciate the handling characteristics of the IRS on the street, then go the level 2 route. If the car is going to see more track time than street, then the solid would be a better choice, IMO.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I paid $950.00 for my Level 2's last year. Then had Dana install them.

Users who are viewing this thread