Another Awesome Day....

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
So my boat just about sank last week while I was n hour away. And today a cotter pin broke on my trailer hitch lock and this happened to my custom painted gate as I loaded a Jeep. A fist sized hole in my tailgate...FML.

thumbnail.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn that sucks man!

Normally the latch stays down if it’s loaded pin or not.

Was this during the loading process?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Yea I was surprised it came unlocked...yes it was when I was driving the Jeep up the ramps. I couldn't believe what I saw. Just had the tailgate done about a month or so ago.

Damn that sucks man!

Normally the latch stays down if it’s loaded pin or not.

Was this during the loading process?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Great, now GM can advertise their military-grade A-10 reinforced tailgates, and use your misfortune to explain why aluminum tailgates are bad.

That sucks dude. I’ve seen a few people get lucky recently and only ding up their bumpers.

Edit: dumb question, but did the Jeep hit the ramps with too much speed? If you just loaded a massive SUV and had no issues, something had to have caused a significantly lighter vehicle to rip the trailer off the ball and into the tailgate..just curious

johnkn

Established Member
Sorry, confused. The trailer coupler's cam assembly locks itself onto the hitch ball and is kept from moving with a hardened safety pin. When I zoom in on yours it appears there's damage to the top of the coupler, there's paint missing around it, etc., and rather than a hardened safety pin there is a cotter pin through the coupler. Are you suggesting the coupler's cam came unlocked and proceeded to literally shear the cotter pin you used? It also looks like the coupler is super low on the ball, like its a 1 7/8" ball and a 2 5/16" coupler. Also trying to understand how it damaged the tailgate way up there, was the gate down at the time? Good luck

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Sounds like while the Jeep ran up the ramps the trailer tongue came up and off the ball.

Almost seems like the ball might have been too small for the trailer.

Hang in there bro - this could have been MUCH worse had you been moving. Now is a good time to triple check everything...twice.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like while the Jeep ran up the ramps the trailer tongue came up and off the ball.

Hang in there bro - this could have been MUCH worse had you been moving. Now is a good time to triple check everything...twice.

Seems like a terribly obvious no-no, but I’ve seen people standing between the trailer and truck while loading as well... people are dangerous.

M91196

Established Member
Not practical for all people or applications but pintle hooks are about as goof proof as you can get.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I was loading at about 2mph. After further inspection it looks like the cupler is broken in the hitch.

Great, now GM can advertise their military-grade A-10 reinforced tailgates, and use your misfortune to explain why aluminum tailgates are bad.

That sucks dude. I’ve seen a few people get lucky recently and only ding up their bumpers.

Edit: dumb question, but did the Jeep hit the ramps with too much speed? If you just loaded a massive SUV and had no issues, something had to have caused a significantly lighter vehicle to rip the trailer off the ball and into the tailgate..just curious

The coupler is broken. The tongue popped up and moved forward because I was driving the Jeep onto the ramps at the rear of the trailer, it popped off the hitch and lunged forward.

Sorry, confused. The trailer coupler's cam assembly locks itself onto the hitch ball and is kept from moving with a hardened safety pin. When I zoom in on yours it appears there's damage to the top of the coupler, there's paint missing around it, etc., and rather than a hardened safety pin there is a cotter pin through the coupler. Are you suggesting the coupler's cam came unlocked and proceeded to literally shear the cotter pin you used? It also looks like the coupler is super low on the ball, like its a 1 7/8" ball and a 2 5/16" coupler. Also trying to understand how it damaged the tailgate way up there, was the gate down at the time? Good luck

Ball is 2 5/16 which I've always used...its the right one.

I have a pintle but it won't work with this trailer.

Not practical for all people or applications but pintle hooks are about as goof proof as you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread