Another aviation tragedy!

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Very sad.
Looks like it was another A320.
I don't know if that model has issues, or if it's just super popular with the airlines.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
From what I read Boeing says it has a really good safety record. 0.14 fatalities per 1 million takeoffs also there is a shit load of them out there.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The A320 is a very solid aircraft. There's just a lot of them out there.

That rapid decent could be an indication of a cabin depressurization. In such instances you would need to get to where the oxygen is as quickly as possible. With a glide ratio of around 20:1 with dead engines, I wouldn't think total power loss would cause that rapid of a decent in that plane.

Spudz

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how this crash investigation develops. These days pilots hardly do any flying at all for a typical passenger flight, save for landing, takeoff, and immediate approach. Sometimes they forget the basics of flight when something goes wrong. This crash appears to shares some similarities with the Air France A330 that went down off Brazil a couple years ago. The cause of that crash was pilot disorientation.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, they did find the black box. Such a huge and sad tragedy. So many lives lost. So many families and loved ones devastated.

coposrv

Established Member
Sad stuff. I saw a brief interview with a representative of the town in which the crash took place. He was visibly shaken.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's being reported that the black box was damaged. Doesn't say to what extent. It still might be usable but it will require some work. They're looking for the voice recorder now. It's a mystery why there was absolutely no communication from the cockpit during the 8 minute decent.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's being reported that the black box was damaged. Doesn't say to what extent. It still might be usable but it will require some work. They're looking for the voice recorder now. It's a mystery why there was absolutely no communication from the cockpit during the 8 minute decent.

I am wondering if there was a fire or decompression...something had the pilots hands full, not one radio call|mayday...hopefully there is something on the cockpit voice recorder that will shed light on this tragedy.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
They may have lost all engines before crashing, as villagers reported hearing a series of loud noises and then they could see the plane struggling to stay airborne as it passed over the village at only 1,500 to 2,000 meters above the ground.

Maybe the engines were hit by a flock of birds? :shrug:

Germanwings Airbus A320 plane crash: Eyewitnesses recall seeing aircraft skim the mountain tops before it came down

I don't see how they hit any birds at 35,000+ feet. They were only at cruising altitude for a few minutes before rapidly descending. FWIW that plane can glide without power, an A320 is what Captain Sullenberger made an emergency water landing in the Hudson with no engines|power....

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I don't see how they hit any birds at 35,000+ feet. They were only at cruising altitude for a few minutes before rapidly descending. FWIW that plane can glide without power, an A320 is what Captain Sullenberger made an emergency water landing in the Hudson with no engines|power....

Not sure on altitude, but if it was struggling to fly only 1,500 meters above a village I'm sure birds could be present. I haven't seen the flight path.

Edit: here is the supposed descent.
a320_german.JPG

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not sure on altitude, but if it was struggling to fly only 1,500 meters above a village I'm sure birds could be present. I haven't seen the flight path.

The plane had just reached cruising altitude of 38,000 feet and then started its rapid descent minutes later with no radio calls for clearance to change altitude, no mayday, nothing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I just read the report that maybe one of the pilots got locked out of the cabin. Hmmm.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
A common element in a number of recent airliner crashes was a total loss of contact for long period of time. Curious. Who cleans these cockpits before flight?

Users who are viewing this thread