Another Aluminum wheel cleaning question...

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I've searched through the threads here and can't seem to come to any conclusion on what might work best for the app that I'm currently working on. I have hard-water stains/brakedust on the inside of my Boze Alloy rims and am having a hard time getting them 100% clean. I've enclosed some pictures to illustrate and the cleaner that I've been attempting to use. Any help is appreciated.

The pics are AFTER using soap/water and cleaner.

:shrug:
View attachment 6396
View attachment 6397
View attachment 6398

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Try using Never Dull wadding polish on them. You will have to use some elbow grease but it will work.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Start sanding, use some fine grit and then polish the crap out of em. I bent a KMC wheel I had on my old 98 f-150 and afer I got someone to staighten it out I sanded them down with 180 and worked my way to 2000 grit "wet" they came out just as nice as the rest of them.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
try mother's powermetal with one of their wheel polishing balls on a cordless drill. I had water spots on my polished afs 03 cobra replicas that NOTHING in my cleaning arsenal would touch. This stuff went through them like a lindsey lohan goes through cocaine.

voodooo

BLK MAGIC
Established Member
You probably wont believe this but i found that SIMPLE GREEN works the best. buy it at home depot or walgreens. i use it to clean my motor and this stuff is great $8.00 for a gallon try it and let me know. Use a toothbrush and spray it full strength on area and let it go to work. when i wash my car i shoot the wheels down with this stuff and just hose it off when im done.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I tried the simple green on my baked-on water spots. They laughed, simple green cried. I'm serious when I say the mothers power metal is the best stuff I've ever used for wheel cleaning.

I meant to offer this bit of advice the other day too. NeverDull is a very poor choice for polished wheels IMO. It'll haze the shit out of them and then you WILL have problems. It's wonderful on chrome but polished seems to be much more finicky.

Last edited:

04gtblkvert

Established Member
Try duragloss orange clean or sometimes a cut compound that you would normally use for paint will take off hard spots and brake dust on rims. I use 3m step 1.

Users who are viewing this thread