Another 2018 F150 Lemon?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Well this morning 21 degrees, left rear door wouldn’t open for my daughter. My drivers door opened fine. So I reached my long ass arm and pulled up on the lock it was locked and it opened and shut fine. So not sure if it’s the actuator or froze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
It isn’t uncommon for latches to freeze up in really cold temps. Has happened to me on my current ‘04 F150 SC, and ‘05 F250 and ‘94 F150 I have owned previously. WD40 is a good idea but all I have had to do is work the inside and outside handles a bunch of times and all is well. All that being said, it is a bit ridiculous they can’t prevent this thru better engineering.

nickf2005

Established Member
You would think it may become cost beneficial to make the latches out of an alternate material (even if it's a little more expensive) that doesn't freeze versus replacing x% of them?

Then again, we are talking about door latches here. Not rocket science and is basically the same design for 40 years? Somebody make a better mousetrap already!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I have some things I've noticed with my 2018 F-150. My truck currently has around 2,800 miles.

Randomly when turning I can hear a clunk sound which I believe is coming from the rear of the truck. Had dealership look into it, and of course everything seems "normal".

Another thing I've noticed which only happens when it's 20 degrees or colder. It's a very annoying rattle sound which I thought was coming from the lower drivers side windshield area. Maybe the plastic cowl. But now I'm wondering if it's suspension related. Almost like ice or snow build up on components. And it's quiet on the highway, more noticeable driving in town. And it's random.

I haven't had Ford look into it yet. I have a recall on the block heater that needs to be replaced yet.

Lucky for me, mines a lease. I can dump it once that's up.

Otherwise, I really like the truck.

Op, it really does suck spending a lot of money on a new vehicle and have nothing but headaches.

I've never had latch issues and trust me, it's been a cold winter here in Minnesota.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Well I have some things I've noticed with my 2018 F-150. My truck currently has around 2,800 miles.

Randomly when turning I can hear a clunk sound which I believe is coming from the rear of the truck. Had dealership look into it, and of course everything seems "normal".

Another thing I've noticed which only happens when it's 20 degrees or colder. It's a very annoying rattle sound which I thought was coming from the lower drivers side windshield area. Maybe the plastic cowl. But now I'm wondering if it's suspension related. Almost like ice or snow build up on components. And it's quiet on the highway, more noticeable driving in town. And it's random.

I haven't had Ford look into it yet. I have a recall on the block heater that needs to be replaced yet.

Lucky for me, mines a lease. I can dump it once that's up.

Otherwise, I really like the truck.

Op, it really does suck spending a lot of money on a new vehicle and have nothing but headaches.

I've never had latch issues and trust me, it's been a cold winter here in Minnesota.

3.5 with 3.55 gears? 13Cobra posted above I believe common issue.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
As far as the new one is concerned...a half competent dealer can do an alignment on the vehicle, and realign the driver's door. More than likely the wind noise caused by the molding is in direct relation to the door being slightly out of factory specs. Both of those should be a 2 hour fix.

The tailgate being misaligned is strange, but can be fixed as well.

The clunking in the rear end.... does the truck have a 3.55 rear end? I've noticed trucks with the EcoBoost and the 3.55s do develop some sort of clunk. I've always experienced it going up hill and letting off of the gas. It's almost like it goes from a pulling gear to overdrive and skips all the gears in-between, causing the clunk.

The doors 'locking' up is a TSB, and I imagine with the rather cold temperatures the last few weeks, that the TSB would fix it no problem.

@Bdubbs

Edit Just saw you said 3.31.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
@Bdubbs

Edit Just saw you said 3.31.

Yeah mine doesn't do it going up or down a hill. Only turning, not all the time.

And this is a bolt doing nothing.... I found it about a month after getting the truck. Dealer cut it out...lol.

How that missed inspection is beyond me..

IMG_20180714_155824040_zpsysojccrp.jpg

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yeah mine doesn't do it going up or down a hill. Only turning, not all the time.

And this is a bolt doing nothing.... I found it about a month after getting the truck. Dealer cut it out...lol.

View attachment 1550698

Yeah that’s very odd. Definitely not doing nothing. I put 5100’s on mine and didn’t have that bolt lol.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
My 18 is awesome. That transmission can be a tad clunky at times though when letting off the gas when it’s shifting.
Honestly, I think Chevy has that issue as well.
I know in my Ram, I have the "clunk" every once in a great while when coming to a complete stop. Happens only once in a great while.

03SonicStang

Established Member

View attachment 1550698

That's ridiculous. After seeing your post I went out and checked mine out. No bolt...well at least Ford got that right.

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
I purchased my 2018 Lariat 502A Chrome last month and so far it’s golden. I don’t use the sunroof much but as it warms up expect to. Hopefully my troubles won’t be as bad as the OP.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I purchased my 2018 Lariat 502A Chrome last month and so far it’s golden. I don’t use the sunroof much but as it warms up expect to. Hopefully my troubles won’t be as bad as the OP.

Start a thread with pics, congrats, we need more traffic in this section.

Users who are viewing this thread