Announcement! Diff. Gears in Question

sloopjonb

Established Member
I brought my new '03 Cobra Mustang to Ford due to a persistent whine in the drivetrain that is audible at the 40-45 mph range and again above 70, particularly at neutral to slight throttle loads. They replaced the entire differential which did no good. Today I was told that Ford engineering folks believe there is a potential problem with the "cut" of the gears for these 3.55 differentials, but they won't replace mine again unless they actually have a fix. They told me to check back with them in six months or so. The area engineer they sent out said he has driven other cobras, and they all made the same slight whining noise. So guys, what do I do now to protect my rights? I don't think I should have to live with a situation like this after spending $34000 on a car? Who do I contact and how? I'm sure if I just sit back, nothing will happen! HELP!

sqidd

Established Member
Dont worry about it man. Ford will come up with a fix. And I do not want this to sound like a slam but $34,000 for a car is not that much.

sqidd

OneSVTFan

Established Member
I have the same issue which I posted a couple of days ago except mine has the whine in 3rd thru 6th. Maybe have them replace the rear end gears with a set of 3.73s or 4.10s:) :)

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine is sitting on a lift at Doug Stanley Ford as we speak. They took off my differential and there was NO lube in the pumpkin at all. The service guy said it looked pretty bad inside when he opened it up. Ford immediately said they would send an entire rear end out to replace mine, but after talking to the service guy today - it may be awhile. Looks like Ford is backlogged because of a rash of these rear ends going bad and they are having trouble filling the orders.

Sounds like a "silent" recall... :cuss:

acatalon

Established Member
I had a mdifferential leak with about 2500 miles, the sealant was appied too sparingly and the cover wasn't very snug...had it resealed and no more trouble

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Mine is sitting on a lift at Doug Stanley Ford as we speak. They took off my differential and there was NO lube in the pumpkin at all. The service guy said it looked pretty bad inside when he opened it up. Ford immediately said they would send an entire rear end out to replace mine, but after talking to the service guy today - it may be awhile. Looks like Ford is backlogged because of a rash of these rear ends going bad and they are having trouble filling the orders.

Sounds like a "silent" recall... :cuss:

Wonder where the lube went :shrug:

Some one must have siphoned it out when you were not looking.

At least it did not lockup on you at Ennis:thumbsup:

-Brian

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Ennis is where I did the most damage! It looks like my Cobra will be stuck at the dealer for awhile though - that will be tough while I am driving the "killer" Focus back and forth to work. :-D

TPOC

Established Member
Looks like the rear end on mine will need have a look at as well. But, this is for the vibe issue. Talked to the guys at Doug Stanley, and I am taking it in on Monday.

So, maybe I will be driving a focus too :lol1:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by TPOC
Looks like the rear end on mine will need have a look at as well. But, this is for the vibe issue. Talked to the guys at Doug Stanley, and I am taking it in on Monday.

So, maybe I will be driving a focus too :lol1:

You and Dan are going to have to start a focus forum :xpl:

-Brian

sqidd

Established Member
My point about the 35K was that it is not that much money for this car, or any other car for that matter. My F250 and my Exploder cost more than the Cobra. I would say the Cobra is a bargain. If it has a few teething problems so be it, I can deal with it. The problems are inherent of a bargain priced car. Our performance competition is the Z06, Viper, most Porsche models and a few Ferrari's. If I can spend $35,000 and challenge them to a race but need to live with a few little problems I am the one laughing. :rolling:

By no means am I trying to slam anyone for what they can and can not afford. I just think that when everyone starts getting bent out of shape about a few little problems they should step back and remember:

1 You are one of the few who could get their hands on a Cobra.

2 It only cost $35,000

3 You can beat up on some of the most sought after cars in the world.

Enjoy you car, you are the one laughing.

sqidd

Users who are viewing this thread